Memories of your first time watching City

My first game was when my old fella took me to see City play in a testimonial versus Altrincham at Moss Lane in 1979. We lost 2-1. It turned out to manage my expectations well for the next 20 odd years. My abiding memory is getting on the pitch at full time, thinking I could get a couple of autographs, and being barged past by Michael Robinson when I tried to ask for his (to be fair I think he was in a rush to get off).

Last edited:
22nd Jan 1977. City 5 Leicester 0. Kiddo scored 4 and the MOTD cameras were there

My best mates dad took 10 yr old me and my best mate. Sat in the middle of the north stand. The one thing I remember clearly was at 3 or 4-0 being told by John (the dad) that we would score a few more and I was hooked

John passed away about 10 yrs later through cancer at quite a young age. But he was the main reason I became a blue

My next game we beat Chelsea 6-2. I thought it was gonna be like that every week. I soon found out it wasn’t lol

About 1971 Sheffield United at home..Willie donachie Glyn pardon Alan oakes Tommy booth Mike summerbee sat on the white wall at the front of the kippax I was 5 or 6...

It should have been against West Brom towards the end of the 1962-63 season. I was given bum information about the buses to Maine Road from Cheadle Hulme and never made it. Just as well as City lost 5-1.

I tried again the next match and made it there to watch City play Blackpool and lose 3-0 with me standing on the Kippax. Not much to recall about that match other than the atmosphere with a small group of tangerine clad Blackpool supporters making a lot of noise from the Scoreboard End.

I went again to the next match against, the then mighty, Spurs. City won 1-0 with an Alex Harley goal. Spurs had a great team back then with Danny Blanchflower, Cliff Jones, Jimmy Greaves, Terry Dyson, etc and had won the double a year or so earlier.

Les McDowall had made one of his tactical changes and restored George Hannah as a ‘schemer’ and pushed Joe Hayes further forward. It worked a treat. Unfortunately Hannah was injured in that match and had to be replaced for the ‘relegation derby’ against United.

Harley scored against United and it appeared that City might yet survive. United got a late and rather undeserved equaliser.

That goal pretty well ensured relegation for City which was confirmed a week later when City lost 5-1 at West Ham while United won.

I had gone to Oulton Park for a motor-race meeting and only found out when I bought a Pink on the journey back. The headlines were all about United surviving.

Yes Lloyd street sorry, A bit odd you dont remember it it looks a big place, right on the corner with a couple of big pillars in the doorway, quite a few photos on facebook etc but I dont know how to do a link :-)
large.jpg

2589565583_75ec473853_w.jpg

I was watching this game on TV in 2011 on some highlight reel of top goals this season and my jaw was on the floor when I saw this:

I had seen some amazing legendary goals (Roberto Carlos free kick vs Brazil) but a goal that makes the defense and goalkeeper look just stupid.. never!

That was the moment I became a David Silva fan and I guess in turn a City fan.

It should have been against West Brom towards the end of the 1962-63 season. I was given bum information about the buses to Maine Road from Cheadle Hulme and never made it. Just as well as City lost 5-1.

I tried again the next match and made it there to watch City play Blackpool and lose 3-0 with me standing on the Kippax. Not much to recall about that match other than the atmosphere with a small group of tangerine clad Blackpool supporters making a lot of noise from the Scoreboard End.

I went again to the next match against, the then mighty, Spurs. City won 1-0 with an Alex Harley goal. Spurs had a great team back then with Danny Blanchflower, Cliff Jones, Jimmy Greaves, Terry Dyson, etc and had won the double a year or so earlier.

Les McDowall had made one of his tactical changes and restored George Hannah as a ‘schemer’ and pushed Joe Hayes further forward. It worked a treat. Unfortunately Hannah was injured in that match and had to be replaced for the ‘relegation derby’ against United.

Harley scored against United and it appeared that City might yet survive. United got a late and rather undeserved equaliser.

That goal pretty well ensured relegation for City which was confirmed a week later when City lost 5-1 at West Ham while United won.

I had gone to Oulton Park for a motor-race meeting and only found out when I bought a Pink on the journey back. The headlines were all about United surviving.
My first match was the game your talking about 1-1 with Utd..Alex Harley for City and Albert Quixall, i think a late Pen for UTD...Remember passing a bloke overhead down to the St Johns Ambulance men..Big Crowd..1963 ? I think

City v Liverpool league cup semi final 14/1/1981 Maine road. David Reeves goal 'disallowed' early on. My initiation of City despondance that lasted till 2011. Up the blues. Was it worth the wait? Most probably.

I cheered all six goals in a 4-2 win against Leicester.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.