Memories of your first time watching City

My first match was at Spurs in the 1960/61 season. My Uncle took me. I don't come from Manchester and at that time did not support any particular club. I just loved football. Spurs had won their first 11 games, I think, and City were given no chance. I watched the underdogs come away with a 1-1 draw and I fell in love with the team that was to become My team, for life. Trautmann was magnificent that day and Baker scored our goal. I will never forget it.
Bloody plastic supporter. ;)

My first match was the game your talking about 1-1 with Utd..Alex Harley for City and Albert Quixall, i think a late Pen for UTD...Remember passing a bloke overhead down to the St Johns Ambulance men..Big Crowd..1963 ? I think

Remember that late penalty. Dennis Law racing into the penalty and knocked the ball past the keeper who had dived to divert it, missed, then Law ran into him and "bought" the penalty. Law had hit the ball too hard and had run out of play by the time of the 'foul'. Yep, we had shite referees even then.
P.S. he made up for it a decade later at O.T.

I remember it being maine road, but I honestly don't remember anything about the game. I only remember my dad wrapping me up in his huge coat and falling asleep.

What a great memory!

Eight years old. It was the Bert Trautmann testimonial in 1964. I come from a family of Rags supporters but I was immediately hooked and became a Blue - the only one in the family at the time. Thankfully later generations saw the light and are all Blues

Age 6 in the Gene Kelly stand, 2000, Shaun Goater hat trick in a 3-0 win against Fulham.

As the name suggests first game, the 69 quarter final. Town crazy that day as rags at home to Everton in the other quarter. Travelled by bus from the coast, walked all the way from town seemed a huge walk I was only 12. Stopped off at the programme shop on Lloyd St and bought a jockey cap to show my allegiance. Never forget walking round the corner from Claremont Rd and seeing the main stand and forecourt for the first time. Joined the cue to get in the scoreboard as soon as the gates opened couldn't believe how many Tottenham had made the journey. Used the transfer gate to get in the Kippax as felt intimidated by the Spurs support, as soon as I did a battle erupted at the fence between Kippax and the scoreboard. Saw a copper carried out with blood pouring from his head absolutely shitting myself. Got a place low down near the front and cheered myself stupid my mate let me hold one end of scarf and wave it with him. Franny scored the winner and rounded off the greatest day of my young life. Got some chips at the top of Oxford Rd and couldn't wait to get home and tell my dad a life long blue about my great adventure. Only date to equal it in my childhood was my first trip to Wembley in 1970, but that is another story.

Ballet on ice game is the first I can remember. Went to a few before but can't actually remember them now. Remember this because it was so bloody cold, ice everywhere, roads were hell. Buses were late so missed the first ten minutes to find Greaves had scored. Soon warmed up and left a happy camper. Remember going to Old Trafford as well (my Dad was Welsh, he just enjoyed football). Played Feyenoord (or was it Ajax, anyway Dutch, red and white) and United got thumped 4-1. Shame. Not sure when that was.

We were beaten at home by Oldham Athletic in the old First Division. My primary school took a group of us. Think it must've been the September 91 game as I clearly remember Earl Barrett playing against us. If it was that game it was a classic line-up of the time, Quinn, Curle, Brightwell, Dibble. We obvs swapped with Oldham a fair bit in the 80s and 90s - Royle, Curle, Barrett, Palmer.

Remember feeling quite high up, underwhelmed by the result and a bit overwhelmed by the atmosphere. At the time I didn't consider myself much of a City fan though the area was default Blue, my dad had a casual interest in United but my folks weren't partisan and we were all more into track and field. But a few months later I won a signed City ball, and then I found a City scarf in a house my dad had bought in Longsight. I envied those friends who talked about the Kippax and took those as 'signs' I should become a Blue. Took years for those signs to come good but come good they did! CTID.

Last edited:
Don't remember too much from mine, other than..

1. On the maroon benches in Platt Lane.
2. Trevor Francis being sent off for a headbutt.
3. Kevin Bond scoring a 30 yarder.

Oh and it finished 1-1 v Everton. That's about it.

City v West Ham Jan 76 as a 7 year old, 3 nil win.
Got the old B+I from Dublin where lots of people were getting sick, arriving in Liverpool just as it started to get bright.
Arriving at the ground with all the terraced houses, the smell of chips and burgers. My dad getting me my first City scarf and one of those plastic picture badges of Willie Donachie.
Entering the stadium the pitch looked so green and big. West ham had one black player called Clyde Best which was rare at the time. It was one magical day for a 7 year old who still believed in santa claus, if was if someone had sprinkled gold dust over my trip.
We won the league Cup a month later, little did I know how the next 35 years would pan out

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.