Michael Johnson - would he have been better than Paul Lake?

Tragic that we never got to see the best of either of them - Lake was a ball playing centre half beyond his years at the time of his injury in a team I truly believe could of challenged for the title under Howard Kendall in 1990, Johnson played football at ease and never looked flusterd, looked like he could do it all in midfield.

Without the injury issues Lake would have been a certainty to be a top class player - probably for Liverpool as they were sniffing around at the time and we couldn't have afforded to turn down the cash.

Johnson was probably the more talented footballer but even without the injuries you have to wonder if he had the mental toughness to succeed at the very top level.

Tragic that we never got to see the best of either of them - Lake was a ball playing centre half beyond his years at the time of his injury in a team I truly believe could of challenged for the title under Howard Kendall in 1990, Johnson played football at ease and never looked flusterd, looked like he could do it all in midfield.

Both cracking players. Think Lakey had better football instinct but Johnson looked really good in his short career

Lake, Lake and Lake again, dedicated and a god given talent would and should have been a world great ruined by injury, Johnson ruined by a poor life style and mental weakness, no comparison at all.

Johnson was a nice player but we are at a different level now & i honestly don't think he would be quick enough,Lake would probably be the more likely to succeed IMO due to his sheer athleticism,was a shame the way it went for both especially Lake considering the gruelling hard work he put in to recover whereas Johnson just seemed to give up...

Lake, Lake and Lake again, dedicated and a god given talent would and should have been a world great ruined by injury, Johnson ruined by a poor life style and mental weakness, no comparison at all.

Mental weakness isn't the same as mental illness, something both were treated for.

Probably the two best players our academy has ever produced, and both sadly had their careers destroyed. Lake's all too short career is righty mourned, but Johnson widely goes under the radar and I think that's a shame.

For me, the short Eriksson era was a brilliant one; he gave Hart his first run in the team, Richards was an animal at the back, Ireland's dodgy wig and habit of dropping his shorts to reveal his Superman underpants was a constant source of entertainment. Elano playing rightback, Corluka in midfield, Hamann bossing games at walking pace, winning two derbies. It was fantastic time, despite the awful kits and the Bond villain owner.

But the main highlight was Michael Johnson, in his first full season; he fit in seamlessly between Hamann and Elano, gliding around the pitch, passing well and scoring a couple of goals from midfield that Yaya would be proud of, but in a more elegant manner.

He'd have no issues whatsoever fitting into our current team with the likes of Silva and Aguero; Lampard and Gerrard were superb professionals and as a result were able to establish themselves as two of the best midfielders in the world, but Johnson had more natural ability than both, and could have eclipsed their achievements both at club and International level.

Hopefully it isn't too long before our academy produces another local lad with a similar talent.

johnson had mental problems and was treated for such ... he also had a persistent injury

Bar is near me and opens today. Have seen him on Burton road quite a bit so seems to be quite active in at least getting the place ready - doubt he'll be serving behind the bar...!

He looks in reasonable health - unlike the picture of him taken a few years ago. Each time I see him I wonder what might have been - just jealousy on my part I'm sure given I'd have done anything to have his ability

The place was suppose to open around May I seem to recall and there were long periods where no work was being done (or so it seemed). Hope it works out - and I hope it's a good bar given it's two minutes from my house!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.