Mike Ashley

_89849254_rioferdinand.jpg
You are one ugly motherfucker!

Shirebrook, that takes me back. Worked around there in the early 90's. Quite a bleak place to say the least. Funny place because it has the feel of being in Notts, but is actually in Derbyshire. I noticed a lot of resentment towards the Notts miners from the locals in my time there, who they saw as strike breakers and quislings.

As to what you say about Ashley, most successful businessmen have a retinue of acolytes among their senior and middle management. Succesful businessmen are usually highly manipulative people who appreciate the value of enlisting the support of acquiescent lieutenants and sergeants. They understand how important it is to have motivated people to do their bidding. I believe you judge the character of an employer by how he treats the lowest paid in his organisation.

Shirebrook is a fuck sight more bleak now than it was in the 90s let me tell you!

However, the employees I'm referring to aren't senior or middle management; 3 drove hgvs and the others worked in the offices. These are normal people doing normal jobs, and not the sort to trot out any company mantra.

Funnily enough, i've always intensely disliked Mike Ashley really for no good reason, since I don't know the bloke or anything about him. Maybe it was just because he looks like a fat slob.

But honestly I rather warmed to him in the select committee grilling. He came across as quite a decent bloke I thought.

Shirebrook is a fuck sight more bleak now than it was in the 90s let me tell you!

However, the employees I'm referring to aren't senior or middle management; 3 drove hgvs and the others worked in the offices. These are normal people doing normal jobs, and not the sort to trot out any company mantra.
Ok fair enough, mate. You can only speak as you find.

Are the Miner's Welfare or the RBL still open?

A little balance required I think...
I know quite a few people who work at the HQ in Shirebrook (granted, not in the warehouse, where 90 odd per cent are eastern european migrant workers) and without exception they all speak incredibly highly of Mike Ashley. The pay and conditions are excellent and the bonuses can be astronomical. He doesn't pay dividends to shareholders as he prefers to share the profits amongst his employees, I know of no other place that does this. Seems fashionable to kick a bloke for being successful, listening to various union mouthpieces and guardian readers on the radio yesterday you could be forgiven for thinking he was britains biggest ****, when the facts from people who actually work there are the polar opposite.
My brother worked at sports direct in his early 20s. Never paid him right even when he did overtime. Hassled and threatened with the sack if he didn't do overtime they wouldn't pay him for, never paid him the full hourly rate and treated him like dogshit. He left after about a year because he couldn't take it anymore.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.