Motorhome

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dogtanian, 12 Sep 2017.

1. Dogtanian

Dogtanian

No just on holiday
    Cheers mate, got the auto trader ap for motor homes, for some strange reason they seem to be a hell of a lot cheaper down south that up here, heard of a place called Parbold in Wigan which is meant to be a decent trader, might have a run out there next week, haven't got a clue about habitation or damp report which is leaning me more to buying from a trader

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Bluemanc100

Bluemanc100

RKAM
    Lots of dosh but as I have explained to my missus you can't look at the full value as long as you can afford the full amount or the finance... it's all about the depreciation... if you are happy to lose the £1000-1500 per year (assumed loss) then why not buy one...

Hopefully not flawed logic

3. Dogtanian

Dogtanian

No just on holiday
    Yeah need to have a look into it i suppose, thought 15-18k might be enough to get us a decent first one, i am just completely clueless about it, obviously need to put a lot more research into it than i thought.

4. It's good to see people getting out and about and a motorhome is the ideal way to see the countryside at your leisure. There is no finer way to see the sights and sounds of the towns and villages aimlessly meandering along the country lanes, just stay the fuck out of Snowdonia. And any caravaners that might be reading.

5. Gelsons Dad

Gelsons Dad

Pass Roads
    Name Canton(s)/Country From - To Built/Opened Elevation(m) Max. gradient Type
    Umbrail Graubünden/Italy Santa Maria Val Müstair GR - Stelvio Pass IT 1901 2501 12% road
    Nufenen Valais/Ticino Ulrichen VS - Airolo TI 1965 - 1969 2478 13% road
    Grand St. Bernard Valais Martigny VS - Aosta IT 1905 2469 11% road/tunnel
    Furka Uri/Valais Realp UR - Oberwald VS 1867 2431 11% road
    Flüela Graubünden Davos - Susch 1866 - 1867 2383 10% road
    Bernina Graubünden Samedan - Poschiavo 1842 - 1865 2328 10% road
    Livigno Graubünden/Italy La Motta GR - Livigno IT 2315 12% road
    Albula Graubünden Filisur - La Punt 1855 - 1865 2312 12% road
    Julier Graubünden Tiefencastel - Silvaplana 1820 - 1840 2284 10% road
    Susten Bern/Uri Innertkirchen BE - Wassen UR 1938 - 1945 2224 9% road
    Grimsel Bern/Valais Innertkirchen BE - Gletsch VS 1894 2165 10% road
    Ofen (Fuorn Pass) Graubünden Zernez - Sta. Maria 1871 2149 10% road
    Splügen Graubünden/Italy Splügen GR - Chiavenna IT 1821 - 1823 2113 10% road
    St. Gotthard Uri/Ticino Göschenen UR - Airolo TI 1827 - 1830-1980 2108 8% road/motorway tunnel
    San Bernardino Graubünden/Ticino Thusis GR - Bellinzona TI 1821 - 1823 1967 2065 10% road/motorway tunnel
    Oberalp Graubünden/Uri Disentis GR - Andermatt UR 1862 - 1863 2044 10% road
    Simplon Valais/Italy Brig VS - Domodossola IT 1800 - 1805 2005 9% road

6. Hoghead

Hoghead

With age of van you are looking at and price range the frame and panels are usually made of wood or composite so are susceptible to damp and rot.
    Newer models are aluminium and plastics mainly so less likely to have damp issues. But then the cost is £40k plus to buy one.

7. delboy

delboy

Motorhomes are great fun I've had three all bought from new. One thing that many people don.t do is push very hard for discount at the dealership. Upto 20 % should be achievable with persistency. Go to the NEC in October (17th to 20th) find the ones you like and play off all the dealers on price then buy from as local as you can. Motorhomes are not like cars when it comes to warranty issues, a dealer who hasnt sold you the motorhome in the first place is not that interested in sorting any issues you may find. Good dealers I have experience with are Spinney motorhomes in Holmes Chapel and Todds motorhomes in Preston. Check out the Tribute make they are great value and very well spec'd. Motorhome depreciation is a lot lower than on cars you could buy one for £30k and still get £20k back in 10 years. If your using mainly with your wife and kids get one with an overcab double bed, the kids love having a room upstairs!!!! Join the caravan club, that gives you access to great sites at reasonable prices and also their certified locations (no more than 5 vans per site) which are basic but tend to start at £10 per night including electric hookup. Make sure you get a good size fridge!! Going to Cheltenham races with the lads every year all with a cold one in hand is a treat. Just buy one you will not regret it.

8. Dogtanian

Dogtanian

No just on holiday
    Cheers buddy and the kids have already asked for the bed above the cab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. sir baconface

sir baconface

GPC, FOC and bar
    If the van's a-rocking
    Don't come knocking

10. squirtyflower

squirtyflower