My Dog bit me..

Teach him a lesson ... bite the fucker back.

My mum, years ago, used to ride horses, one day a new teacher...( if that's what you call them) came in and my mum was riding a rather feisty horse. The horse later on bit my mum, didn't draw blood but left a huge bruise afterwards, not the first time it had happened by all accounts. Any way, the new teacher immeadiatly told my mum to bite the horse back, which she begrudgingly did. The horse never bit anyone after that and notably calmed down.

And now children, it's time for bed.

My mum, years ago, used to ride horses, one day a new teacher...( if that's what you call them) came in and my mum was riding a rather feisty horse. The horse later on bit my mum, didn't draw blood but left a huge bruise afterwards, not the first time it had happened by all accounts. Any way, the new teacher immeadiatly told my mum to bite the horse back, which she begrudgingly did. The horse never bit anyone after that and notably calmed down.

Was the riding instructor a Geordie by any chance?

Sitting on the horse's back might have something to do with it. Why do people still climb on these animals? Weird traditional behaviour.. it achieves nothing.

lol, i applaud your ideals sir but try it in the real world.

Shouting is a bit strong a term i walked around the room with a booming deep voice that drowned his senses. There was no anger in me or he would have cottoned on to that and got ready for a fight. I just dominated the room, didn't look at him just walked where he was forcing him to move away. He knew his mistake right away but it needed hammering home hence he was not on my xmas card list when he got fed that evening.

When you have the food and look to your dog he should show submission or at least an excitement not born of "give that to me now or else". It is a fun safe time where they can relax and not worry their food will be taken away. That is your job to give that confidence. My boy will eat right next to his daughter now with no worries. She will only go to his bowl when he has walked in the front to sit down, she will check he has then check his bowl. He knows i will not let his food go away nor will i ever steal it, if i touch it then it is for his benefit. For example he gets a ham bone, if i pick it up and move it upstairs it is because i want it safe from his daughter. He just trots up after me.

You probably think the pack mentality is based on fear, it is not, a strong smart dog demands absolute boundaries or they get confused then they turn nasty.

I've always had dogs, and used to subscribe to the dominate/show who's boss method of training and ,yes, it worked pretty well. My Doberman helped my daughter to walk by letting her hold onto him and slowly walking around the house (beautiful to watch). But that was 30 odd years ago, and the last time i used what was the accepted training methods of the time.

Since then i've had Alsatian cross, whippet, rotti/lab cross and currently have a Rotti and a Nuttall Patterdale (from proper fox killer stock) and have used treat/praise/NILIF based training methods. This has worked extremely well with the Rotti that, as a breed, doesn't respond well to 'threats' or aggressive methods. The Patterdale was a little bastard and wouold fight anything for the first 6 months. Now it's as good as gold (apart from chasing bin lorries and wheelbarrows) and rarely goes on a lead. Both dogs have been brought up with young children in the house without any issues (some basic rules should be followed including 'training' the kids how to treat the mutts)

An interesting development here is if i put terriers food in a corner for it to eat it will start growling when the other mutt goes near. Away from the corner there's no problem and both eat together at same time.

The food training is simple and should be done from day one (with a puppy). Put food down, let it eat a bit, take food away, put back down and repeat.

I've always had dogs, and used to subscribe to the dominate/show who's boss method of training and ,yes, it worked pretty well. My Doberman helped my daughter to walk by letting her hold onto him and slowly walking around the house (beautiful to watch). But that was 30 odd years ago, and the last time i used what was the accepted training methods of the time.

Since then i've had Alsatian cross, whippet, rotti/lab cross and currently have a Rotti and a Nuttall Patterdale (from proper fox killer stock) and have used treat/praise/NILIF based training methods. This has worked extremely well with the Rotti that, as a breed, doesn't respond well to 'threats' or aggressive methods. The Patterdale was a little bastard and wouold fight anything for the first 6 months. Now it's as good as gold (apart from chasing bin lorries and wheelbarrows) and rarely goes on a lead. Both dogs have been brought up with young children in the house without any issues (some basic rules should be followed including 'training' the kids how to treat the mutts)

An interesting development here is if i put terriers food in a corner for it to eat it will start growling when the other mutt goes near. Away from the corner there's no problem and both eat together at same time.

The food training is simple and should be done from day one (with a puppy). Put food down, let it eat a bit, take food away, put back down and repeat.
You're controlling the food supply in both the treat/praise and removal scenarios, that's very, very dominant behaviour.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.