Netflix: Squid game

Watched it this week with subtitles as we've got builders in making a racket so seemed an obvious thing to do.

Called both the old man very early & the cops brother when the cop was looking at the books.

Decent enough but should have finished at the airport.
Called those, too. It was maybe a little too obvious, perhaps, but I don't think it detracted too much from the series, which I thought was excellent. Couldn't take my eyes away, every scene was engaging.

And yeah, agree about the airport. Should have ended with him getting the message and pausing, leaving his final thoughts unknown.

Finally got around to watching the last two episodes, which were a bit disappointing. Not the first Korean thing I've watched with a 10/10 concept that fizzled out in the second half.

The games seemed to lose their "game"ness and became pretty boring after the initial fun of grandmothers footsteps. Twists at the end seemed more for the sake of having a twist, or for the sake of setting up a sequel, rather than actually resolving any questions you had. Korean TV is at it's best when it's unpredictable and keeping you on your toes, with strong subplots, whereas that felt pretty obvious what was going to happen from a pretty early point, every characters death was predictable to the point you knew who would be responsible for each death, along with who would survive until when, while the subplots were pretty non-existent and got pretty much written out as they went along.

Shame, as it was a great concept, but not one of the best Korean things I've watched, but I guess it's good that it's success might lead more people into watching more shows. (but hopefully doesn't lead to more American-ising of Korean TV)

I've watched it when it came out. It's great and a fresh change, but it's not that great. I think the social media hype has made it what it is, not to take any credit from it.

Genre aside, I still feel Queen's Gambit is Netflix's best series. Gripping and tense and smart. Squid Game is still intense, but riveting because of how every wrong move turns to death. Take that dynamic out and the few potholes in the storyline become more apparent.

Finally got around to watching the last two episodes, which were a bit disappointing. Not the first Korean thing I've watched with a 10/10 concept that fizzled out in the second half.

The games seemed to lose their "game"ness and became pretty boring after the initial fun of grandmothers footsteps. Twists at the end seemed more for the sake of having a twist, or for the sake of setting up a sequel, rather than actually resolving any questions you had. Korean TV is at it's best when it's unpredictable and keeping you on your toes, with strong subplots, whereas that felt pretty obvious what was going to happen from a pretty early point, every characters death was predictable to the point you knew who would be responsible for each death, along with who would survive until when, while the subplots were pretty non-existent and got pretty much written out as they went along.

Shame, as it was a great concept, but not one of the best Korean things I've watched, but I guess it's good that it's success might lead more people into watching more shows. (but hopefully doesn't lead to more American-ising of Korean TV)

I kind of agree when it comes to Korea TV.

I loved squid game but for me Kingdom, Sweet Home, Strangers from Hell and Beyond Evil are much better korean drama series that are also available on netflix, but bar Kingdoms first airing none have been hyped as much as SG.

Last edited:
I agree I would rate Kingdom as far better than Squid Game. I find the plots in Squid Game don't make sense, but Squid Game just have this 'goldilocks' effect that makes it easier embraced.

I watched Midnight Mass most recently and I found it aggravating to watch. Shades of the Mist's Mrs. Cormady

I kind of agree when it comes to Korea TV.

I loved squid game but for me Kingdom, Sweet Home, Strangers from Hell and Beyond Evil are much better korean drama series that are also available on netflix, but bar Kingdoms first airing none have been hyped as much as SG.
I massively enjoyed Black tbh, also on Netflix. It's such an odd show, I'd never seen anything like it and there are just so many twists and secrets that you want to find out, it had me hooked more than any other I can think of. Kingdom was great first series, not so great second (Korean zombies are 100% more committed than anyone elses zombies). Really enjoyed the first series of Stranger as well, but not felt compelled to watch the second. I like single series shows tbh, that's about as much as I want to watch it seems.

I massively enjoyed Black tbh, also on Netflix. It's such an odd show, I'd never seen anything like it and there are just so many twists and secrets that you want to find out, it had me hooked more than any other I can think of. Kingdom was great first series, not so great second (Korean zombies are 100% more committed than anyone elses zombies). Really enjoyed the first series of Stranger as well, but not felt compelled to watch the second. I like single series shows tbh, that's about as much as I want to watch it seems.

Black I watched a few years ago and enjoyed it very much, as I did with possessed, signal and the guest.

I do like the 16 - 20 episode format and stories tied up within a season also.

Something I would recomend is Move to Heaven it has a unique premise and is quite astep away from most Kdramas

Last edited:
Watched all of it over the last 2 days. Loved the tension etc, and the questions re morality (often found myself thinking "what would I have done in that situation?"), yet the ending was a little disappointing (just the airport scenes really). Guess you have to expect that though when there's a possibility of even more money in a second series.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.