New Champions League format

Imagine a season where lets say Liverpool and United both get relegated to the championship but still get wildcards to the champions league, it's a farce.

A team could potential suffer 2-3 relegations in a row and still qualify.

To bloat the group phase (the most boring part) out is also shite, have a feeling they'll defend this by saying but there'll be more of the bigger games in the new group phase.

The big issue with the new format is the co-efficient wild card for teams. This will have a huge impact on domestic leagues. How can a team finishing as low as 7th leap frog a team that finishes 5th,its a terrible idea.
But that’s the point. Logic and fairness is an alien concept to the bastards in control of this freak show. City are currently top of the coifficient points table on 115,000 points. Then come the usual 5 suspects in the range 104,000 (Utd) through Pool, Arse, Chelsea and Spurs on 88,000.
then the points plummet to Leicester on 32,000, Wolves 16,000 down to Burnley on 2,500, Everton, Saints and finally Spammers on 2,500.

if you look how hard it is to actually add to your tally and garner points and if the the Scoring for points stays the same nobody will get near the top 6.

So you are correct as I read it .... if Everton finished 5th and if Spurs finished 6th and there was one English wildcard Spurs would get the slot.

it’s a complete disgrace. But only to be expected.

The wild card should only come into effect if the team finishes in the top 6 anything below that would be a fcuking farce...

But that’s the point. Logic and fairness is an alien concept to the bastards in control of this freak show. City are currently top of the coifficient points table on 115,000 points. Then come the usual 5 suspects in the range 104,000 (Utd) through Pool, Arse, Chelsea and Spurs on 88,000.
then the points plummet to Leicester on 32,000, Wolves 16,000 down to Burnley on 2,500, Everton, Saints and finally Spammers on 2,500.

if you look how hard it is to actually add to your tally and garner points and if the the Scoring for points stays the same nobody will get near the top 6.

So you are correct as I read it .... if Everton finished 5th and if Spurs finished 6th and there was one English wildcard Spurs would get the slot.

it’s a complete disgrace. But only to be expected.
And pretty much all of Leiceister's points will disappear after this season, as their 16/17 CL points will go away.

If I am reading it correctly there are 180 matches in the first phase and then at the end of that only 12 teams are eliminated

And pretty much all of Leiceister's points will disappear after this season, as their 16/17 CL points will go away.
Yes I think you are right. We benefit from our recent years of uninterrupted attendance in the Chumps Lge. I think it’s roughly 2 points for a Chumps Lge win and one for a Thursday cup win so you can see how long it might take an aspiring team to gather more points.

Just wait for a new points baselining system to come in. 100 points awarded for winning the Chumps Lge or old European Cup, 1,000 points for playing at a swamp, 2,000 points for employing a gnome as manager etc.
Nothing is beyond these bent bastards. If I were any of the teams trying to build now (say Everton) I would be horrified.

Think for a minute how this will stifle new investment into sleeping clubs. Oh wait a minute thats the point isn’t it. Protect the history clubs whose officials sit in the corridors of power and who invent these rules.

Imagine a season where lets say Liverpool and United both get relegated to the championship but still get wildcards to the champions league, it's a farce.

A team could potential suffer 2-3 relegations in a row and still qualify.

To bloat the group phase (the most boring part) out is also shite, have a feeling they'll defend this by saying but there'll be more of the bigger games in the new group phase.
No they couldn't, you have to qualify for the Europa League or new Europa Conference League to get bumped up to the CL because of your coefficient. So they'd have to win a cup or at least finish in the top 7 (subject to who wins the cups) to qualify for the CL. It's still bent, but not quite as bent.

If I am reading it correctly there are 180 matches in the first phase and then at the end of that only 12 teams are eliminated
Yes, 280 games to cut the field from 36 to 24, compared with 96 matches now to cut the field from 32 down to 16 and that feels like a drag.

It is 2 teams in the whole of Europe, Arsenal wouldn't stand a chance and United would not qualify, only Liverpool as they won the trophy 2 years ago, however that won't be the case for long.

It is bollocks that we have more boring group games which the fans will get fleeced for. SD, CSKA and Porto for 6 games every year.
If it was in place for next season and based on the current league standings, Dortmund and Spurs would get the wildcards. Liverpool and Arsenal miss out because they're not currently qualifying for Europe at all. Would suggest we'll generally see at least one English team get a wildcard and possibly two if none of the other "big" European teams don't qualify automatically.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.