New highway code rules

bluealf

Some dangerous new rules imo none more so than allowing pedestrians the right to cross on a junction you are turning into, people will be knocked over as they just walk out in front of cars, how will this work in a big city where there are people waiting to cross roads every minute of the day, of course, you stopping as you are half way through the action of turning will surely mean a greater chance of somebody else running into the back of you.

Discuss.

ps I used the sun as it isn't behind a paywall and has diagrams lol

Some dangerous new rules imo none more so than allowing pedestrians the right to cross on a junction you are turning into, people will be knocked over as they just walk out in front of cars, how will this work in a big city where there are people waiting to cross roads every minute of the day, of course, you stopping as you are half way through the action of turning will surely mean a greater chance of somebody else running into the back of you.

Discuss.

Looks idiotic.

Discuss.

In Canada, pedestrians have the right of way already, and you won’t believe the numbers who will walk out into a road without looking. Had to slam the anchors on quite a few times.

Canada has far quieter roads and far less pedestrians on average. I suspect carnage if pedestrians start behaving that way in the Uk.

Rules ?
The Highway Code was never the law, and was only intended as a guide, and much of it advisory at that, has something changed ?

Those ‘proposals’ seem idiotic and almost like a cyclist/pedestrian has done it.

Better set off an hour earlier for work then if we're all going to be stuck behind cyclists riding at 1mph in the middle of the road with no hope of getting enough clearance to overtake them.

Rules ?
The Highway Code was never the law, and was only intended as a guide, and much of it advisory at that, has something changed ?

Those ‘proposals’ seem idiotic and almost like a cyclist/pedestrian has done it.
You're right it isn't law but it can be used in court against you, so don't get hung up on the word rules, there isn't a need tbh I was just making a thread about some major change to the 'guide' that 99% of drivers will not have heard, I certainly hadn't until 5 minutes before my post in here.

The highway code is being updated to improve road safety for vulnerable road users, but there will be no changes to the law. The rules of the highway code are advisory, meaning a person won’t be prosecuted for not complying with them.

However, the highway code can be used in court to establish liability in the event of an accident under the Road Traffic Act. This includes rules which say ‘should/should not or do/ do not.’

If you are found to be at fault in an accident as a result of not complying with the Highway Code, you may face charges in court.

You're right it isn't law but it can be used in court against you, so don't get hung up on the word rules, there isn't a need tbh I was just making a thread about some major change to the 'guide' that 99% of drivers will not have heard, I certainly hadn't until 5 minutes before my post in here.

The highway code is being updated to improve road safety for vulnerable road users, but there will be no changes to the law. The rules of the highway code are advisory, meaning a person won’t be prosecuted for not complying with them.

However, the highway code can be used in court to establish liability in the event of an accident under the Road Traffic Act. This includes rules which say ‘should/should not or do/ do not.’

If you are found to be at fault in an accident as a result of not complying with the Highway Code, you may face charges in court.
I know how it works mate, there’s a lot backed up by law, but it depends on the wording, like ‘must’ and ‘must not’, from that article it says :-

The new Highway Code says: "‘At a junction you SHOULD give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning."

So I’d take that as advisory personally rather than it being one backed up by law .

Better set off an hour earlier for work then if we're all going to be stuck behind cyclists riding at 1mph in the middle of the road with no hope of getting enough clearance to overtake them.
*in certain situations, they are advising, and has actually been the advice to cyclists for some time. Surely it's better to make yourself more visible than risk being crushed under a vehicle.

Rules ?

Cards on the table: I am a pedestrian, cyclist and driver (I've driven Cat's B, C1E, D1E) so I have a good spread of experience of road use, both in the UK and overseas. I passed my test in 91, but I've ridden cycles on the road from the age of about 10.

The highway code is a quasi-legal document which details guidance as to the interpretation of the law laid down in the Road Traffic Act 1988. The proposals are nothing new. More of a rewording to clarify the hierarchy of responsibility and it makes perfect sense. Too often drivers put their convenience ahead of the safety of more vulnerable road users by behaving irresponsibly. They seem to forget that the people outside of their 5-star NCAP safety bubble are actually incredibly vulnerable. EVERYONE shares the space and nobody has any more entitlement to be on the road than anyone else (although uninsured drivers can f*ck right off). It's only right that the more vulnerable road users be protected from potential harm from vehicles which have the ability to do more damage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.