New Penalties For Speeding.

Back in 2004 I was hit by a car which was doing 28mph in a 25 mph zone as I was near a school. I ended up in hospital for 2 days as a had a broken hip. I was on crutches for 9 weeks and couldnt work for 11 weeks. As I was working for a job agency at the time I only received SSP which at the time was about £50. Think he driver got a £600 fine and 6 points. So you tell me who got the better deal. sorry I have absolutely no sympathy with speeding driver and in my eyes they deserve everything they get

Fair enough point bud, but yòu could have received the same injuries, or worse, if the driver had been doing 25mph, and then what?
This won't sit well with you I know, but a £600 fine and 6 points for doing 3mph over the speed limit is fucking outrageous imo. Drivers get fined less for drink driving.

The law shouldn't be relative. It should be fixed really. Having said that, rich people park where they want cos a parking ticket means nothing to them, if rich people speed, it pleases me that they'd be hit more proportionately in the pocket. It's only a deterrent if it makes you think.
Except it won't be. As usual, the Tories have managed to make it less proportionate, the more you earn. The fines are capped at £2500 for motorway offences and £1000 for non-motorway.
There will be three bands (A, B and C). A will be 50% of weekly income, B will be 100% and C will be 150%. These can go up by a further 25% for persistent offenders or other aggravating factors (such as, towing caravans or fleeing from police). On top of this band A will still be 3 points, B will be 4-6 points or a 7-28 day ban and Band C will be 6 points or a 7-56 day ban. As these are guidelines for magistrates they can sentence outside of them but are unlikely to so do.

Seems harsh for three mph over the speed limit. How was that proved out of interest?
Why harsh? He was over the limit end of. Also it was near a school and it happened at just before 4 in the afternoon. He broke the law and deserved to be punished. The police were able to determine the speed by the tire marks on the road and to the damage on the car made by me. The driver admitted he was speeding

Well if you take an average joe on say £300 a week speeding and you fine him £60 it's going to sting a little or a lot, the guy from wilmslow in his Porsche would see it as a slight inconvenience and would probably whip out 60 notes from his pocket if he could.

Which one is most likely to think twice sbout doing it again. For something to be a punishment and a deterrent it has to feel like such. The devil is in the detail though.

I'm surprised this needs an explanation.

Here is one of the many issues with the new system.

Person A - Earns £100k a year gets caught speeding at 35mph in a 30mph zone and hit with a fine of £961.53 (50% weekly income)

Person B - Earns £15k a year gets caught speeding at 51mph in a 30mph zone and hit with a fine of £432.69 (150% weekly income)

Seems fair, not!

If you have a situation where the police spot 2 speeding cars, say a 90k Range Rover going 80mph in a 70mph but being overtaken by a 2k 13 year old Ford Galaxy going 85mph I see the situation where the police will pull the Range Roverbecause it's most likely going to reap a higher fine and money for them.

Therefore people with more expensive cars will in my opinion now be more likely unfairly targeted.

I think that's rubbish about the police targeting the higher specification car. They will deal with each incident on its merits.

Under the current system a similar offence will see the man earning £100,000 a year will pay 3.12% of his weekly wage in a fine, the man earning £15,000 will pay 20.80%.

If you're doing 21mph over the limit you deserve to be fined 150% of your weekly income. That's how you kill innocent people. I'd issue a ban as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.