Newcastle United (A) | Post Match thread

if Trippier pulls Kev's arm and "tactically fouls" him then he gets a yellow. Must be a next level of punishment up for throwing yourself at someone.

My last word on the red that never was, KDB is far too honest, if he had done a few rolls and stayed down and waited for the trainers, as those fuckers would have done, the card would have stayed red.
Disagree. The referee changed his mind purely on the contact and VaR didn’t show after the challenge.

if Trippier pulls Kev's arm and "tactically fouls" him then he gets a yellow. Must be a next level of punishment up for throwing yourself at someone.
I was thinking the same - should have been two yellows really, one for the tactical foul, the other for the reckless challenge. So red card on the day, but only a one match ban.

Odd?

After all this time you still think it odd that VAR sees stuff against City differently.
I know it’s a tough job, being a ref/VAR, and mistakes will be made. Every club has several incidents a season where their fans feel the wrong decision has been made. I also know, like those fans, I’m very biased. I’m holding on to these facts being the reason why I think City are constantly screwed over by dodgy decisions - it’s my perception that’s wrong, and the refs are just making the same mistakes they do with every club.

I don’t like to dwell on your alternative hypothesis that the football establishment really is out to get us, but it certainly does seem like that sometimes. Still, I can’t recall any other example of a player being “sent on” after VAR reviewed a flying red-card tackle like that one (airborne with clear contact with the player, and none with the ball), so I have to accept your hypothesis has more evidence to support it than mine.

Show us the front angle.
In case you can’t see the video:
C2C0D5A2-17E3-416F-A1D3-CD395E076DD8.jpeg
And the definition of serious foul play:

Serious foul play

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

View attachment 53684

Serious foul play

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Looking at that it is hard to believe the VAR story that Trippier's boot caught de Bruyne on the shin. Unless he has a very strange running action, he is already on the way down there and the boot is still knee high.

If that was the knee of his standing leg, it could have been nasty, and Trippier had no way of knowing which leg he was hitting. Red card all day for me. Endangering the safety of an opponent (Unless, of course, the referee guidelines say you can only endanger an opponent with studs up. And who can answer that?).

View attachment 53684

Serious foul play

No, can't see the video in the UK, but have seen the still. It was the camera angle from behind the goal that looked the worst (Sky showed it during the game but not in their highlights.) I'll look at the City+ full match. (Also to see why Cancelo got booked - it would have to be bad as now it shouldn't be a caution if advantage is played.)

Just watched the replay of this game and I’m amazed the decision was overturned. Trippier was flying with both feet off the ground and made contact around knee high or a bit above.

Like you said, it looks worse the more you see it on the replays. Really odd that VAR sees that and thinks that is obviously an error and the ref needs to look at it again. I honestly think the ref must’ve been thinking “why are they asking me to change this - it’s clearly a red?”.
On the refs chat forum, someone says Banks (the VAR) missed two red cards in his last live game. Most refs are calling red, and certainly can't see it as a "clear and obvious error".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.