Newcastle United (A) | Post Match thread

It's a way down the page. I will edit this post with the relevant sentence when I am back on my laptop, but it is there if you look for it. At the bottom it says the article is compiled with input from the PL and PGMOL, so I can only imagine this is where he gets that view from.

Edit: here it is:

"Gillett, who was on the blind side to the tackle, believed there had been studs-on-knee contact by Trippier, but the replays showed that wasn't the case and the foul was the top of the Newcastle defender's boot onto the bottom of De Bruyne's shin."

I think the explanation in the referees' forum, that this would be a red card in any other jurisdiction and Gillett has obviously ref'd most of the time in Australia, is more likely. Basically, he would have been told "that's not how we do it here". But who knows, if we don't hear what was said?

Incidentally, the refs on the forum seem to be split as we are: red, not red and once given as red no C&O reason to correct. Most refs think this sort of SFP should be red, but that the current laws and PL guidelines try to avoid reds for that sort of challenge. They made the point that, if that happened in a Sunday league game, the only way to avoid a mass brawl would be a red card.

It's actually hopeless. What chance do fans have, when referees can't even agree on a matter of serious foul play? Not to mention why the PL should be different from every other major league.
I think those quotes are based on what Dermot Gallagher said on Sky, but he was guessing about the VAR conversation, viz. "VAR looked at it, asked Jarred what he felt he had seen and then he came back and said ‘I’ve seen it and described it as a cynical tackle but it wasn’t serious foul play. He hasn’t caught him with his studs across the knee, I advise you go to the monitor to have a look’".

Whereas what the VAR really said was, "It's the Premier League, son, not bloody Australia. And unlike where you come from, we don't have to explain or justify our VAR decisions."

Just watched our third goal again and it's even better than I realised at the time.

The vision from De Bruyne to see the pass, weight it perfectly and nutmeg the Newcastle player from that distance which he clearly meant was just world class.

Then the first touch from Bernardo and the deft finish without looking whilst the keeper was bearing down on him was a lot harder than he made it look.

It's not going to win goal of the season or anything but you'll be hard pressed to find another goal with more quality than was shown in those few seconds.
Have you seen Haaland's reaction to it?

I've been thinking about one moment since the match ended; "that pass".

That was classic KDB and we've not seen that ambitious creativity for a few years. Such crazy vision and daring!

He's started like a house on fire and I feel like he's turning back the clock, happier in his new role in driving the team.

I'm buzzed for this season and hope he stays fit.
That ‘Pass’ was worth the journey. And the entrance fee.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.