Next GE - Starmer Labour or Tory government?

This need a new thread brah?
It's a question that has answers buried in several threads.
I got tired of seeing complaints about Labour/Starmer but nothing/no-one better is going to be in place before next GE.
Thought it was worth calling out separately - Starmer Labour or keep faith with Lizzy's gang.

I want a government who does not borrow to the hill , I want our debt paying off then more money for the country , I want tax rules where big companies pay fair share on tax , people should be made to get jobs if able to work , want to shed this green net zero , instead of shipping coal in lets mine again

I am fed up with both main parties lying to be honest and I don't know what I will do in 2024. I am not a fan of not voting - if just a small percentage of younger people had bothered to vote in the Brexit referendum, the result would have been different. Because generally speaking older people wanted to leave, whist the young wanted to stay, yet older people voted in very high numbers whilst as you went down the age ranges the % who didn't bother, got greater and greater.

Keir Starmer has been on the radio today pushing his 'clean energy' drive by 2030 and I just think he is talking rubbish to sound good with an unachievable aim. The tories are as bad, if not worse.

James O'Brien did a great show in this a couple of days ago discussing a rumoured row at Tory HQ between some of the new 'top people'. I'm not going to track it down now but the gist of it was this: Liz Truss and some of her 'fans' have realised that to achieve the boost to growth she wants & that she has gambled on with incredible tax cuts and borrowing, the country will have to import even more people than last year (1.2 million visas) to get things rolling in the fields, in the factories and in the service sector too. Her only hope of winning the next GE is to have shown there is some sort of economic miracle beginning and that can't happen without importing more people.

Braverman and Badernoch, plus other ERG hardliners are of a different opinion: the Tories won't win the next GE if they are not seen to be dealing with both the channel crossing issue and indeed population increase via legal routes even if it is required to provide human 'fuel' to boost massive economic growth. In O'Brien's words - to appeal to the racists.

Amazingly O'Brien's conclusion was that both wings of the Tory party are probably correct! They do need to get more people here and yet at the same time they need to be saying they don't want to!

So if Starmer avoids personal scandal (and he seems a pretty honest guy) and within his party he can keep the more toxic fringe members out of the limelight, he will probably win.

It was also on the radio recently (might have been the same show in fact) that Political parties quite often don't get into power by winning, they get there because the other side cocks up repeatedly and loses and that is probably what will happen when we have the next UK General Election.

Last edited:
I want a government who does not borrow to the hill , I want our debt paying off then more money for the country , I want tax rules where big companies pay fair share on tax , people should be made to get jobs if able to work , want to shed this green net zero , instead of shipping coal in lets mine again

Wow, good points - especially on coal & "...people should be made to get jobs if able to work" as that would reduce the need to import quite so many people from abroad.

But would any main party attempt to win power by stating those ideas in a manifesto? I doubt it. Sounds like you need to start your own party!

Last edited:
Labour or conservative. Two cheeks of the same arsehole.

Makes no difference which set of incompetent morons are running the country.

Wow, good points - especially on coal & "...people should be made to get jobs if able to work" as that would reduce the need to import quite so many people from abroad.

But would any main party attempt to win power by stating those ideas in a manifesto? I doubt it. Sounds like you need to start your own party!

Sounds like he needs to do some research into why reopening coal mines is completely unrealistic.

I'm also assuming you are on the wind up....again.

Sounds like he needs to do some research into why reopening coal mines is completely unrealistic.

I'm also assuming you are on the wind up....again.

Enlighten me please. All I know is there are 800 years of coal underground in Britain, yes it might be difficult to get - so do we just buy it from Poland instead? That isn't saving the planet as Poland is part of planet earth and transporting it from there to here is just adding to carbon emissions anyway.

Or do you refer to the fact that getting coal out of deep underground mines is a thoroughly unpleasant job (I know, I have been to the Mining Museum near Wakefield) and we shouldn't expect our kids* to have to do it? They would have a nicer life in an office or a shop or even U.C?

But what about the other thing @Hutchymcfc said: "...people should be made to get jobs if able to work"?

This is not a windup.

*When I say kids I mean young adults - I am not advocating a back to Victorian times approach: small kids down mines etc. etc. which was absolutely appalling - but it seems that today everyone wants their child to be a lawyer or a brain surgeon, when sometimes they are just not that type of person.

Enlighten me please. All I know is there are 800 years of coal underground in Britain, yes it might be difficult to get - so do we just buy it from Poland instead? That isn't saving the planet as Poland is part of planet earth and transporting it from there to here is just adding to carbon emissions anyway.

Or do you refer to the fact that getting coal out of deep underground mines is a thoroughly unpleasant job (I know, I have been to the Mining Museum near Wakefield) and we shouldn't expect our kids* to have to do it? They would have a nicer life in an office or a shop or even U.C?

But what about the other thing @Hutchymcfc said: "...people should be made to get jobs if able to work"?

This is not a windup.

*When I say kids I mean young adults - I am not advocating a back to Victorian times approach: small kids down mines etc. etc. which was absolutely appalling - but it seems that today everyone wants their child to be a lawyer or a brain surgeon, when sometimes they are just not that type of person.

Alright I'll Indulge you briefly.

How much do you think it would cost to reopen flooded/ open new coal mines?

Who is training these intrepid new miners? Or do we just give em a pick and a shovel and tell em to crack on?

Where are we burning this coal,seeing as there is about 3 coal power stations still operational?

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.