Next GE - Starmer Labour or Tory government?

I'd settle for pretty much anyone with a strategic plan that is neither devious nor about self interest. Not asking for much.

20 museum tour guides to train an entire generation of miners as to how it was done before health and safety was a thing.

What could go wrong?!

I know mate.

I couldn't be arsed listing all the other stuff,the machinery needed alone would cost fortunes etc etc.
I work in a similar environment,quarrying.

There was some other factual stuff he'd got wrong that I couldn't be arsed correcting too.

El George has had the grace to admit he was on a bit of a rant,so fair play.

Real solutions aren't to be found on football forums :)

Maybe so, but I have read lots of interesting things here and learnt stuff too and not just about what a geganpress is or what an inverted full-back does.

I can't remember their name, but throughout the pandemic someone posted amazingly detailed stuff each day about the spread of the virus in my area and I appreciated that especially during the lockdowns.

Last edited:
20 museum tour guides to train an entire generation of miners as to how it was done before health and safety was a thing.

What could go wrong?!

I was actually typing that bit (the Mining Museum guys) with my tongue firmly in my cheek. I would assume - if it were to become a thing, we would get fellas over from Poland or other countries who we currently buy coal off and pay them not for coal for a bit, but their expertise in how to mine it. You know the saying: give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. But with an energy slant.

As I said earlier though, it won't ever happen. I have encouraged my kids to go to University and one does and one plans to. But even if they had been less academic, I very much doubt I'd have been getting them all excited about working 350 feet undergound especially with no pit ponies or nine year olds helping them! Like with so many things, in the UK we see coal mining as beneath us.

Enlighten me please. All I know is there are 800 years of coal underground in Britain, yes it might be difficult to get - so do we just buy it from Poland instead? That isn't saving the planet as Poland is part of planet earth and transporting it from there to here is just adding to carbon emissions anyway.

Or do you refer to the fact that getting coal out of deep underground mines is a thoroughly unpleasant job (I know, I have been to the Mining Museum near Wakefield) and we shouldn't expect our kids* to have to do it? They would have a nicer life in an office or a shop or even U.C?

But what about the other thing @Hutchymcfc said: "...people should be made to get jobs if able to work"?

This is not a windup.

*When I say kids I mean young adults - I am not advocating a back to Victorian times approach: small kids down mines etc. etc. which was absolutely appalling - but it seems that today everyone wants their child to be a lawyer or a brain surgeon, when sometimes they are just not that type of person.
No it’s not a wind up , I never been out of work so I have the view if you fit enough to work you should do , we ship coal in from country’s to use so why not coal mine from our grounds and no I’m not saying work in poor conditions poor pay etc

No it’s not a wind up , I never been out of work so I have the view if you fit enough to work you should do , we ship coal in from country’s to use so why not coal mine from our grounds and no I’m not saying work in poor conditions poor pay etc
How much do you want to pay for your coal? I own bog and give the turf away ffs.

I was actually typing that bit (the Mining Museum guys) with my tongue firmly in my cheek. I would assume - if it were to become a thing, we would get fellas over from Poland or other countries who we currently buy coal off and pay them not for coal for a bit, but their expertise in how to mine it. You know the saying: give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. But with an energy slant.

As I said earlier though, it won't ever happen. I have encouraged my kids to go to University and one does and one plans to. But even if they had been less academic, I very much doubt I'd have been getting them all excited about working 350 feet undergound especially with no pit ponies or nine year olds helping them! Like with so many things, in the UK we see coal mining as beneath us.

Most of our coal is/was imported from Russia and Argentina.

I'd expect,given the v slim possibility of a bunch of coal mines being opened,that it would be extensively automated,meaning job creation wouldn't be as big as you'd Imagine.

Maybe so, but I have read lots of interesting things here and learnt stuff too and not just about what a geganpress is or what an inverted full-back does.

I can't remember their name, but throughout the pandemic someone posted amazingly detailed stuff each day about the spread of the virus in my area and I appreciated that especially during the lockdowns.
Healdplace - not seen her on here lately, hope she's okay and happy writing her books

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.