Nicolas Otamendi - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't his best game but I don't think we should make too much of it. Does anyone know how many minutes he played for Argentina? Something tells me Klopp identified him as a target from the outset. When our players were warming up there was a shot of Klopp paying close attention, almost as though he was looking for weaknesses(who looks off) but maybe I'm reading into that a bit too much.
Klopp may or may not have identified him as a weakness, but looking at the other teams warm up his something Klopp does every game.

We butchered a few offside traps, which is where most of their really dangerous opportunities came from down there, the other times they were being pushed so wide by the balls into the channel, we had men back to cover quickly enough.

You'd have to ask Pep for his exact thinking, but I assume he'd say that if our back 3 had nailed the offside better, it would have not been too dangerous.
I'm the wrong end of the pitch to see the offside stuff in first half so I'll take your word on that one - still think we'd have always needed pace in both sides, hence my earlier post about having Danilo and Nico switched.

tbh, wherever Otamendi played in the back line, that is where Salah would have played up top for LIverpool....he was targeted.

i thought he endured a very tough 1st half and sadly some of his positioning was wayward.

We butchered a few offside traps, which is where most of their really dangerous opportunities came from down there, the other times they were being pushed so wide by the balls into the channel, we had men back to cover quickly enough.

You'd have to ask Pep for his exact thinking, but I assume he'd say that if our back 3 had nailed the offside better, it would have not been too dangerous.
Not sure why we were stepping up for offside even when there wasn't pressure on the ball, Pellegrini style. Thought we got away with murder defensively in that first 35 mins tbh.

Think he's the worse CB at the club. Exposed horribly by Salah and is reckless when put under any sort of pressure.

Think he's the worse CB at the club. Exposed horribly by Salah and is reckless when put under any sort of pressure.

IMO right now he's third choice behind Kompany and Stones.

I haven't seen enough of Mangala yet but he could easily be behind him as well.

No pace, suspect positioning, dives in too often, he is targeted every game because opposing teams know he is the weak link. Last season Clichy was targeted every game because he was the weakest link by far. Now teams are targeting Otamendi. Hopefully this is his last season at the club. I am praying for a miracle and we can sell him to some desperate club in January while bringing in an upgrade.

Mangala & Stones should start together on Wednesday, we need to see Mangala's level.

Otamendi was terrible vs Liverpool, Salah made a mockery of him, needs benching.

I was almost converted and had been thinking he was so much improved. Hope yesterday was a temporary relapse.

IMO right now he's third choice behind Kompany and Stones.

I haven't seen enough of Mangala yet but he could easily be behind him as well.

No pace, suspect positioning, dives in too often, he is targeted every game because opposing teams know he is the weak link. Last season Clichy was targeted every game because he was the weakest link by far. Now teams are targeting Otamendi. Hopefully this is his last season at the club. I am praying for a miracle and we can sell him to some desperate club in January while bringing in an upgrade.

Mangala & Stones should start together on Wednesday, we need to see Mangala's level.

Otamendi was terrible vs Liverpool, Salah made a mockery of him, needs benching.

Don't get me wrong, not a big fan of Mangala but I think in a back 3 he's a better option that Ota. If Komps is injured I'd go Mangala, Stones and Danilo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.