Nicolas Otamendi - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has been our best cb for some time now but never gets the credit. Every little mistake is highlighted but the performance he puts in week in n week out is ignored.
Proving to be real goal scoring threat too this season

Stones is our best CB, him being out for a few weeks hasn't changed that. Otamendi's improvement this season has been fantastic though, and the two of them are the best partnership in the league when you consider the difficulty of defending in our side, and the amount they contribute to our attacking play, wouldn't trade them for anything.

The derby performance coming almost a year to the day from his worst day in a City shirt, the Chelsea home game, was a nice coincidence.

Stones is our best CB, him being out for a few weeks hasn't changed that. Otamendi's improvement this season has been fantastic though, and the two of them are the best partnership in the league when you consider the difficulty of defending in our side, and the amount they contribute to our attacking play, wouldn't trade them for anything.

The derby performance coming almost a year to the day from his worst day in a City shirt, the Chelsea home game, was a nice coincidence.

Stones was our best cb pre injury but imo Otamendi has been the most important so far, because he has in reality had to be the main cb due to all the changes around him.

If he had gone to pieces like in some games last season, we would not be top of the league.

I think that probably makes him our best cb this season, overall.

Remembering all the stick he took on here and elsewhere makes me wonder...will people ever give these lads time to settle in to the club. Very few can come straight in and hit top form. Often these players come from a different climate, speak a different language, and its probably not easy to suddenly have to get their heads round the Pep way of things which after all are still pretty unique in the game.

I think most will need a full season at least too get there.

Finally, Otters is regaining his excellent scoring form. Worried that he may regress in defense though - Otters seems prone to be way too aggressive when paired with an average CB; Stones and Kompany injured is very worrying.

Last edited:
I was thinking something about Otamendi. Maybe it would work, maybe not. I call it a 'False no. 4' and the essence of it is this: when we're playing tough away games in which we can't find a breakthrough and the opponents are marking Aguero, Jesus etc out of the game, Otamendi could time his runs into the box to become an extra attacker for a few seconds at a time. His aim is to create chaos that the opponent can't expect, by pulling them out of position, getting headers from crosses on goal or knocking down for other players to score, or at least creating space for the other attackers to move more freely. While he's out of position, Fernandinho slots back into his place to fill the gap at CB and one of Silva and De Bruyne lingers just at the edge of the centre circle to maintain our superiority in midfield in case the opponents counter. He has the desire and aerial ability for it but it could be crazy.

He's scored twice since this post and I really think it could work now.

Remembering all the stick he took on here and elsewhere makes me wonder...will people ever give these lads time to settle in to the club. Very few can come straight in and hit top form. Often these players come from a different climate, speak a different language, and its probably not easy to suddenly have to get their heads round the Pep way of things which after all are still pretty unique in the game.

I think most will need a full season at least too get there.
Well said, pal. Sadly, some people are so brain-dead that they never seem to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.