North Stand Expansion

That shouldn’t mean parking dangerously though, that’s no excuse. There’s plenty of safer places to wait.

And you do realise Andy Burnham IS Labour and IS trying to sort out those things you mention? Reregulation of the buses is much, much better than the horrible mish-mash of companies we had before. Mainly taking these sort of decisions out of Central Government is best.
Bring back MCTD

I think I've managed to confuse myself over the new and old NS roofs (or we just don't know yet).

Are the cables coming from the top of the new steelwork supporting the new roof, as the beams don't look anywhere near deep enough to cantilever it? Are they also supporting the existing cable net system allowing the old roof to be taken apart? I know @Coatigan thinks (or thought) that the cable net will be truncated and connected to the ends of the new roof, although I'm still doubtful on that myself. If not the cables attached to the top of the new steelwork, has anyone come up with a viable idea of where the cables for the cable net are attached?

It was all here.

IMG_9795.jpeg

The cables will be transferred from the original supports and supported by the newly constructed towers. The original supports will then be removed allowing them to continue construction. They’ll later build the new triangle roof supports to support the new roof.

Last edited:
I think I've managed to confuse myself over the new and old NS roofs (or we just don't know yet).

Are the cables coming from the top of the new steelwork supporting the new roof, as the beams don't look anywhere near deep enough to cantilever it? Are they also supporting the existing cable net system allowing the old roof to be taken apart? I know @Coatigan thinks (or thought) that the cable net will be truncated and connected to the ends of the new roof, although I'm still doubtful on that myself. If not the cables attached to the top of the new steelwork, has anyone come up with a viable idea of where the cables for the cable net are attached?

The existing cablenet will remain where it is, minus the roof (like the south stand), with the supporting front stays exiting the stand from two exits either side of the sky bar, the knuckle that currently connects to the supporting pillars, will be connected to the steel frame they are currently errecting, once load is transfered they can remove the pillars and the back stays that run to the ground and their foundations, the new roof built over the top and roof panels from old roof removed, leaving just the cable and the front stays.

It was all here.

View attachment 118411

The cables will be transferred from the original supports and supported by the newly constructed towers. The original supports will then be removed allowing them to continue construction. They’ll later build the new triangle roof supports to support the new roof.
Thank you, I'd forgotten all of that little lot with some of the derailing of the thread over the last week or so.

is that from the Design & Access Statement document 136763_FO_2023-DESIGN___ACCESS_STATEMENT-2230670.pdf at https://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=RTAU4IBCJ1C00 ?

I've got to go out but I'll have to reacquaint myself later. It takes a few moments to download/load due to the size of some of those drawings for anyone else looking at it.

That shouldn’t mean parking dangerously though, that’s no excuse. There’s plenty of safer places to wait.

And you do realise Andy Burnham IS Labour and IS trying to sort out those things you mention? Reregulation of the buses is much, much better than the horrible mish-mash of companies we had before. Mainly taking these sort of decisions out of Central Government is best.

It’s funny how Burnham gets slagged off constantly for things that are nothing to do with him and rarely gets praise for the things that are.

It must be infuriating.

Thank you, I'd forgotten all of that little lot with some of the derailing of the thread over the last week or so.

is that from the Design & Access Statement document 136763_FO_2023-DESIGN___ACCESS_STATEMENT-2230670.pdf at https://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=RTAU4IBCJ1C00 ?

I've got to go out but I'll have to reacquaint myself later. It takes a few moments to download/load due to the size of some of those drawings for anyone else looking at it.

No that's from a subsequent CMP condition discharge app.

For clarity (for everyone rather than you) there will be two sets of structural cables, just to avoid confusion.

The lower ones, that will be  below the new roof is the current ring cable which now sits above the existing roof. That is what they are looking to transfer in the off season, so the roof can be removed, while maintaining tension all round. They are transferring it to the cantilevered cage braced diagonally, currently nearly built.

Once that is done, they can then remove the rear cables and pier, allowing them to build the rest of the structural steel tower, one more bay back, and bring the upper cantilevered part to ground.

Then they'll put the big quadpods on top of that, and that will support the  new cables, that will support the new roof beams, and will sit  above the new roof.

No that's from a subsequent CMP condition discharge app.

For clarity (for everyone rather than you) there will be two sets of structural cables, just to avoid confusion.

The lower ones, that will be  below the new roof is the current ring cable which now sits above the existing roof. That is what they are looking to transfer in the off season, so the roof can be removed, while maintaining tension all round. They are transferring it to the cantilevered cage braced diagonally, currently nearly built.

Once that is done, they can then remove the rear cables and pier, allowing them to build the rest of the structural steel tower, one more bay back, and bring the upper cantilevered part to ground.

Then they'll put the big quadpods on top of that, and that will support the  new cables, that will support the new roof beams, and will sit  above the new roof.
Cheers, that was very useful.

Yes of course and the bus reg is a good thing, but the parking restrictions are a very poor idea given almost no extra public transport as yet
The extra parking restrictions are down to the arena and MCC.

The GMCA is not the highways authority.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.