North Stand Expansion

Happy enough with the designs, but you don't build a new housing estate without building a few new schools as well

Not dunking on you here but I think this pretty well illustrates the stadium transport problem: We've built huge numbers of new housing estates with no new schools on in the last 20-odd years, because successive governments have had no interest whatsoever in meaningful infrastructure.

The Arena will have been open for 2 or 3 years and will be well established as the UKs best music music arena before the hotel opens its doors.

Has the complainer had a look how many apartments will be a short walk from the stadium / arena ?

With 34 bars and a host of facilities I’ve no doubt parts of the Arena will be a 7 day a week venue no matter whether there is a show on or not.

The idea that it’s gonna be ghost town when there is no show or football on is ridiculous.

With the next couple of years the site will be considered an simple extension of the city centre and any moaning will have long disappeared.
Parts of the Arena will be open 7 days a week

I can’t see there being gigs/events on 5-6 nights a week. If it was a smaller venue like Manchester academy I’d agree with you. Some of the larger venues do a few large gigs a month. A lot of it is based on who the act is, what the event is and number of tickets sold as well.

I could be wrong and maybe there will be daily events/gigs. I’m just thinking about some of the other large venues. You’d probably have to take into account the local community as well, which probably wouldn’t be very happy with lots of large scale events
The arena will host much smaller events, the initial 3 nights a week is for the first year.

Its 2 stops from Piccadilly or a 20 minute walk along hopefully landscaped paths, with more parking than you can shake a stick at on non event days. It will have all the facilities you could want and will be a popular hotel for those things alone.
Yes, but is it inside the proposed resident's parking scheme ;-)

68000⁹

Transport to/from Maine Rd was always superior from beginning to end.

There are loads of potential names:

The Great Northern End (a bit more imaginative than just ‘the North Stand’… we’d be the ‘Northerners’ who stand in there, could have a massive banner saying ‘GREAT NORTHERN’)
The Pit (in relation to the colliery that was once on site)
The Wonderwall
The 93:20 Stand
(since it was the end that 93:20 goal was scored at)
The Co-Op Stand (sponsor the stand and get more money coming in)

At one time I was adamant a proper City home end should be called the Kippax, but there’s only one Kippax and I think that should be left in our history and the new end should have a new name.
The Great Manc wall would do it for me ! With a small lettering 230 miles from London underneath !

Good post Supercity88.

I agree, good CGI’s are worth there weight in gold.

As this is an initial teaser with basic drawings and not very clear CGI’s, it’s better to wait. Everything will be much clearer at the exhibition space. There will be better CGI’s, maybe a model, maybe a flythrough video, and people to talk to involved in the proposal. The first exhibition space is at the ground on Saturday.

City Square North Stand, Etihad Stadium
Saturday 4 March – Sunday 26 March
Monday – Saturday 09:00 – 18:00, Sunday 10:00 – 16:00
Open on matchday from 09:00 – 1 hour after full time
Beswick Library, 60 Grey Mare Lane, M11 3DS
Thursday 9 March 2023, 15:00 to 18:30
The Foyer at the National Cycling Centre, Stuart Street, M11 4DQ
Monday 13 March 2023, 15:00 to 19:00
Church of the Apostles, Ridgway Street, Miles Platting, M40 7FY
Wednesday 15 March 2023, 15:30 to 18:30

I'm sure they'll have done a fly through and that will have the majority of people frothing.

I've caught up on subsequent posts and I completely get the desire for there to be an iconic football ground as the dominant visual. But I'll say again, that will be the case from the majority of viewing angles. It simply has to work as a standalone design as well, and I think they've done that. On matchdays from the tram stop you'd get thousands of blues drinking and singing and this monstrous stand in front of you which felt like a "home" from the outside and then was a proper home end on the inside.

Looking forward to seeing what further information is provided, and although very greedy - whether they've looked at the east and colin bell stands like they did with the SS expansion, and if there's anything more on that as a concept in the future.

One thing I didn't notice on first viewing - it seems the 2nd tier will remain as it currently is. Look how the second tier bends around the corner on this picture.

It looks like Upper tier is essentially being stuck on top of the existing 2nd tier.

1677748140958-png.4707519

That seems to be the way to do it these days - it's what they've done at Anfield. Enables you to avoid disruption to existing operations and then just tie things together in the closed season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.