Offside judgement (Laporte v Wolves)

Lads, the simple truth of it is this

VAR, on review is correct based on the implementation of the rules 99.3% of the time.
Referees at the highest level are correct 93% of the time.

This is what it looks like when the rules are implemented to the letter. Maybe the rules are a bollocks? But this is what soccer is now.

We all wanted VAR because of shit refereeing. Now you have it.

Some people just like a moan I think. I prefer it now. I prefer .7 to 7 in error margin.

My one major gripe about VAR is it separates the elite from grassroots - kind of like rugby, where it is an elitist sport anyway, I don't like that drift away from grassroots as I don't think any good will come of it in the longterm
Hi mate I agree with most of your post but take exception that we all wanted VAR,

Lads, the simple truth of it is this

VAR, on review is correct based on the implementation of the rules 99.3% of the time.
Referees at the highest level are correct 93% of the time.

This is what it looks like when the rules are implemented to the letter. Maybe the rules are a bollocks? But this is what soccer is now.

We all wanted VAR because of shit refereeing. Now you have it.

Some people just like a moan I think. I prefer it now. I prefer .7 to 7 in error margin.

My one major gripe about VAR is it separates the elite from grassroots - kind of like rugby, where it is an elitist sport anyway, I don't like that drift away from grassroots as I don't think any good will come of it in the longterm
Appreciate your view EdlS, and accept that statisticaly it means that more decisions are correct. I was one of the people that wanted VAR - too many shocking errors that modern technology should be used to eliminate. But while I still think there's a chance to get it right, I'm close to the point of wanting to ditch it. It's a passion killer. I no longer celebrate goals because i'm waiting for the VAR review. That's so far removed from what I love about the game that I wonder if the 7% referee error rate is a price worth paying to bring my joy back.

Appreciate your view EdlS, and accept that statisticaly it means that more decisions are correct. I was one of the people that wanted VAR - too many shocking errors that modern technology should be used to eliminate. But while I still think there's a chance to get it right, I'm close to the point of wanting to ditch it. It's a passion killer. I no longer celebrate goals because i'm waiting for the VAR review. That's so far removed from what I love about the game that I wonder if the 7% referee error rate is a price worth paying to bring my joy back.
I celebrate after the var (if its upheld/allowed) adds to the drama for me.

For the record, I used to get pissed off and it took joy away from goals like you but I decided I'd enjoy it a different way rather than piss and moan. A goal is a goal.

I was kind of falling out of love with the game before lockdown. I appreciate it more now. I really enjoy watching us. Only us. I don't watch much other teams really

BBC are reporting Ifab are changing rules for offside rulings:

"In a statement, Ifab said "incorrect applications of the law" made the change necessary but "it will remain an offence if a player scores accidentally with their hand or arm, or uses their hand or arm directly before scoring".

The body also clarified its interpretation of the offside law, saying the definition for handball, whereby the arm ends at the bottom of the armpit, must be used when judging whether a player is offside or not."

Seems to be saying Laporte's goal was wrongly given offside.

Laporte was given offside by a "T-shirt distance" on his arm not from under the armpit!

Last edited:
Round and round and round we go,
Where we’ll stop, nobody knows!

IFAB has a lot to answer for with their incessant tinkering with a couple of the laws of the game that are the most contentious.

Genuine question, why do they use these lines but do it on a still picture taken from a camera that is at an angle?

They have the technology to spin 360° around the whole pitch, we are shown this all the time with goal replays. However, the camera angle used for a VAR offside check, isn't done from inline (where the linesman should be) it's done from up above the corner flag somewhere.
I don't think it matters what angle the camera is at. As long as they have a point of reference a straight line whether it's the half way line or 18 yard line the software will take the straight lines from that and then they can move them to the players and the vertical lines again will be 90 degrees to the horizontal line.
For me it's all about where they perseve the arm for handball starts and stops

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.