Old Rock Stars

I only partially agree. In the last 2/3 years, the more senior bands I have seen:

Peter Gabriel - slick production, still great voice but lacked energy for me
The Who - well half the who! Townsend, still a monster guitarist, Daltrey hmmmm. Voice and energy levels sadly lacking
Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman, of the five or six times I have seen Yes, by far the poorest concert. John's voice still just about ok but again, band lacked dynamism and energy. If Wakeman moved next door, you would definitely move out.
Steve Hackett - Just brilliant at every level. Think the guy is hitting 70 and he just keeps getting better. Not like his band were young things either.

The Oz Pink Floyd - seen them a couple of times and enjoyed their concerts better than the originals.
So I see where you are coming from. In the main, the old guys maintain their musical dexterity and genius but they definitely lose the dynamism, edge, energy of performance with the noticeable exception of Mr Hackett. Kind of glad that Led Zeppelin will never reform as would rather remember them as they were in their pomp.

I've seen loads of the older bands in recent times and there's no denying that time takes it toll on some more than others. Also the vocalists are the one's most susceptible to struggling to maintain their level in a technical sense and it often depends on what night you get them. You mention The Who and I've seen them several times in last few years and rather more times than I would have expected and Daltrey's vocals have certainly varied but saw them do Tommy earlier this year and really enjoyed it. The energy levels and dynamism are obviously harder to maintain but then you get a guy like Springsteen. A couple of years or so back, I saw him then The Who in very short order and the contrast on that occasion was stark, with Bruce's performance totally eclipsing The Who's.

You just have to be realistic in your expectations. I know I'd rather see the real thing than a tribute band but, TBF, as I don't do tribute bands, I don't know what I'm missing.

I do see a fair number of younger bands because I take my teenage daughters to gigs that they want to go to and they often have the energy but still lack something compared to plenty of the older guys.

Saw Kiss recently and they still kicked ass. Stanley's vocals have not held up as well as Simmons funnily enough but were much, much better this time than on their last visit.

Also saw Paul Rodgers in May playing Free songs and he was excellent and it was absolutely electric when two other old codgers unexpectedly joined him for the encore: Brian Johnson and the mighty Robert Plant.

I bet you can't do what you used to be able to do when you were twenty five Nimmers.....
hehe.gif

I think Rod and Macca are still worth the admission ticket, they still give a full two hour entertaining show, amazing considering their age...they hardly need the money.

The vocalists are the one's most susceptible to struggling to maintain their level in a technical sense and it often depends on what night you get them.

Very very true ..... Unless they are Robin Zander of course .... :D

Haven't read the thread but there are some who've still got it. David Gilmour is as good on guitar as he ever was. Robert Plant has got as much energy now as he did in the sixties. Likewise Iggy Pop. Kate Bush and Keith Richards have still got it.

I've seen loads of the older bands in recent times and there's no denying that time takes it toll on some more than others. Also the vocalists are the one's most susceptible to struggling to maintain their level in a technical sense and it often depends on what night you get them. You mention The Who and I've seen them several times in last few years and rather more times than I would have expected and Daltrey's vocals have certainly varied but saw them do Tommy earlier this year and really enjoyed it. The energy levels and dynamism are obviously harder to maintain but then you get a guy like Springsteen. A couple of years or so back, I saw him then The Who in very short order and the contrast on that occasion was stark, with Bruce's performance totally eclipsing The Who's.

You just have to be realistic in your expectations. I know I'd rather see the real thing than a tribute band but, TBF, as I don't do tribute bands, I don't know what I'm missing.

I do see a fair number of younger bands because I take my teenage daughters to gigs that they want to go to and they often have the energy but still lack something compared to plenty of the older guys.

Saw Kiss recently and they still kicked ass. Stanley's vocals have not held up as well as Simmons funnily enough but were much, much better this time than on their last visit.

Also saw Paul Rodgers in May playing Free songs and he was excellent and it was absolutely electric when two other old codgers unexpectedly joined him for the encore: Brian Johnson and the mighty Robert Plant.
One vocalist that just gets better with age, Percy Plant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.