Omar Berrada to the rags | TLDR: They want to be us.

The last rally or protest march I attended was ban the bomb in the 60's. I have had no inclination to do another, but if City agree to let united ground share I guarantee I will be there at any protest meeting. We need a badge;-)

BAN THE REDS
1000018211.jpg

The last rally or protest march I attended was ban the bomb in the 60's. I have had no inclination to do another, but if City agree to let united ground share I guarantee I will be there at any protest meeting. We need a badge;-)

BAN THE REDS
View attachment 110871
This ‘creeping’ subject/discussion must be stopped immediately.

Kevin Parker should be mobilising the OSCs.

1894 should be active on behalf of the wider fan base.

A simple chant should be BELLOWED out at all games,home,away,Wembley.

‘Not in my lifetime’ is a great campaign slogan......and it will boil some piss !!

Sure, I agree with that. United are being more cordial because it's in their self interest at the present time, and the moment that it is no longer in their self interest then things will change. But this is generally how I believe that most businesses work. It's within City's self interest to have the protection and political power that United have in the halls of UEFA and the PL if only for a time, and certainly during a period where financial regulations and regulators are being put together.

Essentially I think the same about this arrangement as I did for the Super League - I don't want it but if it exists then we need to be in it. Or to put it another way, somebody is going to get fucked here no matter what anybody does. We should make sure it's not us. United and us having shared interests in these regulations around investment and revenue would be useful to that end.
This is where pragmatism & being street smart & business savvy come in. City must always look down the road at the bigger picture & do what ultimately suits us.

The issue is the nature of the snake we're dealing with. Has the serpent changed because it now wears different scales? It's like asking us to stroke the serpent in the hope it doesn't try to bite us as it previously did.

I'd adopt the stance of mistrust & leave it up to the Trafford Tramp to prove how serious he is about fostering a new relationship with City.

Perhaps the Rags needing our support in their quest to build the "Wembley of The North" using our tax pounds, is the reason for the rise in cordiality?

We just need to ensure we never leave our back unguarded with this lot, because there'll be a machete between our shoulder blades before we can blink if we gave them half a chance...

Last edited:
Screenshot_20240319_193538_Chrome.jpgC_71_article_1505613_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

When did Manchester try to build a 'Wembley of the North'?​

In the late 1980s Manchester bid to host the 1996 Olympic Games, proposing an 80,000 seater stadium on a greenfield site in West Manchester. Those Olympics were awarded to Atlanta instead, with Manchester's focus shifting to the 2000 games when the location for the proposed stadium moved east to Eastlands, a derelict area ripe for regeneration.

By 1992, with new government legislation for urban renewal opening up funds to purchase the site, plans were well under way, but Sydney handed awarded the 2000 Olympics and Manchester turned its attention to the 2002 Commonwealth Games.

There was a proposal to the Millennium Commission for the stadium to become a Millennium Stadium but that was turned down. In 1995 Manchester won the right to host the Commonwealths at the Eastlands site.

So in 1996 Manchester bid for £150m of government funding for a national stadium at a time when the future of Wembley being discussed. Manchester proposed that the Commonwealth Gams stadium could be reconfigured into a national football stadium to rival or even replace Wembley.

That bid was rejected in 1997, with the final design for the stadium watered down to a 38,000-seater arena for the Commonwealth Games. Some aspects of the original Olympics design were retained with the now-iconic spires that wrap around the Etihad a key feature of the design that was shelved.

Former City chairman David Bernstein, writing in his new autobiography, explained: "there had been suggestions that Manchester should become the home of the new ‘National Stadium’ when the old Wembley was demolished in 2000. Unlike Birmingham, which became the main challenger to a redeveloped Wembley, Manchester would already have a stadium. However, this was a race Wembley would easily win."

The rebuild of Wembley cost more than £800m and encountered years of delays. Manchester built the City of Manchester Stadium for £110m and then converted it to a football ground. The original 80,000-seat design had been costed at £150m.

How did Man City get the City of Manchester Stadium?​

FAiORRGWYAE61Ej.jpeg

Bernstein said that City were in the right place at the right time, taking advantage of the authorities' desire for the stadium to be in regular use after the games. City were looking to leave Maine Road, but didn't have to.

"I think we saw an opportunity with the Commonwealth Games and the fact the city of Manchester wanted a first-class stadium for the Commonwealth Games," he said. "We took a very strong negotiating position considering we had a very weak hand to play and said, look, yes, we would love to do it, but it's got to be blue, it's got to be a proper stadium with real supporters.

"It can't have an athletics track afterwards. And we could hold 34,000 people at Maine Road so we will only pay a rental on the attendances above 34,000. We got all those things and more."

In his new book, Bernstein reveals how the original designs for the football stadium after conversion were for a larger capacity.

He wrote: "In those early days of discussions, the stadium’s capacity was set at around 60,000. I suggested it should be nearer 70,000. I wrote: ‘This capacity might enable lower prices to be charged, thereby maximising the chances of filling the stadium for major non-MCFC events. A smaller capacity (say 50,000) could enhance the perception that the stadium is being built for MCFC as opposed to being “The Stadium of the North”.’"

Who paid for the City of Manchester Stadium?​

Bernstein explained: "The council and Sport England paid the capital costs of the stadium and we paid for its fitting-out to become a football ground."

Comments from board member Alistair Mackintosh in the book note that City took a loan of £43m for the conversion. Reporting has since suggested that the council spent £22m of taxpayers money on removing the running track, converting the stadium to a football ground, and City took over the stadium in 2003 on a 250-year lease.

Why is City's situation different to Sir Jim Ratcliffe's proposal?​

It is, and it isn't. Ratcliffe wants public money to fund a possible new stadium, which will cost significantly more than the Etihad did. It's true that City's stadium was built using some public funds but it is not truly comparable to Ratcliffe's plans until he outlines exactly how he intends to fund any new stadium. To be comparable to the Etihad, there would have to be significant reinvestment into the local area.

etihad-expansion-4.jpg

The Etihad was built using money from government grants, Sport England funding and from the council with City spending money to convert it to a football stadium. Money raised from City's rental agreement is directly paid back to supporting sports facilities in east Manchester and elsewhere in the city.

It is understood that this is part of a ‘waterfall’ arrangement where profits from sports facilities created for the Commonwealth Games in Manchester support and sustain any non-profit-making sports facilities.

Schemes created from this include the East Manchester Leisure Centre in Beswick, the Clayton Vale mountain bike trail, the BMX track at the National Cycling Centre and the National Basketball performance centre in Belle Vue.

So the council can justify their outlay on the stadium because it was not initially built for football, it has been in constant use since 2002, and the significant rent paid by City must be repaid into local schemes as part of the arrangement.

Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham discussed Ratcliffe's ambitions recently, and the comparison to the Etihad, saying: "I have supported City and the city region has supported Manchester City and they have put a lot of funding into East Manchester and that should be recognised.

As I stated previously, Westminster stiffed Manchester to protect the viability of Wembley. If the Trafford Tramp wants to rebuild Old Toilet, then fine. HOWEVER, with him being a Billionaire, & ManUre being a private enterprise, they can fuck right off with wanting public money to fund their new stadium.

The Government should tell Scruffy Jim to dig deep & fund the fucker himself!
¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...pp&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=communities

This is where pragmatism & being street smart & business savvy come in. City must always look down the road at the bigger picture & do what ultimately suits us.

The issue is the nature of the snake we're dealing with. Has the serpent changed because it now we different scales? It's like asking us to stroke the serpent in the hope it doesn't try to bite us as it previously did.

I'd adopt the stance of mistrust & leave it up to the Trafford Tramp to prove how serious he is about fostering a new relationship with City.

Perhaps the Rags needing our support in their quest to build the "Wembley of The North" using our tax pounds, is the reason for the rise in cordiality?

We just need to ensure we never leave our back unguarded with this lot, because there'll be a machete between our shoulder blades before we can blink if we gave them half a chance...
Our table is full to over flowing with almost every advantage & benefit cos we're years ahead of petrochemical taxdodger scruffy Jim.

What can he bring to our table that we don't have or can't get ??

Let him paddle his own canoe as we turbo charge our battleship

Fuck em & their emperor's new clothes, they are still yewnytid !!

Our table is full to over flowing with almost every advantage & benefit cos we're years ahead of petrochemical taxdodger scruffy Jim.

What can he bring to our table that we don't have or can't get ??

Let him paddle his own canoe as we turbo charge our battleship

Fuck em & their emperor's new clothes, they are still yewnytid !!
Agreed 100%!

The Trafford Tramp should put his billions where his ambitions are & pay for his own stadium.

The question is why doesn't he want to fund the rebuild out of his own pocket? Perhaps because the Glazer's aren't putting another penny into Old Toilet, so Scruffy Jim would have to fund it himself, when only owning 25% of the club.

On this basis, he'd be nuts to spend £1.5bn of his own dough to build the "Wembley of The North". But that ain't our problem. He either coughs up the scratch, or gets to B&Q, call in the roofers & pest controllers, & renovate Old Toilet "organically" over several seasons, just like UEFA/G14 told us to do when wanting to invest in our squad so we could compete.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.