Open arms for new fans !

green pennies, mate, i have no problem with foreign city fans, in fact i welcome them, but to suggest you`d put your wife before city just shows me how little you really care for the team i love.

you can always get another wife, but never another team.

I don't agree that it's new fans pricing working class fans out of the ground. Prices went up a lot for my season ticket a fair few years ago when we were an average side, not good, not as shit as we had been. It is going up every year but you are aware of the salaries the players are on. But then we wouldn't be top of the league without paying for the best players. The sheik is subsidising us, we need new fans and new income. The people in charge I'm sure are trying not to alienate the loyal fans. It's not as if they are the Glazers, so far so good.

mackenzie said:
Green pennies

A wholehearted post and very interesting.

But you don't get it do you?

City for most of us is in our marrow, our DNA. The very place where we have been raised is seeped with City and it's history.

I'm not knocking your support at all, just saying that whilst you beat on about the non geographical connection there is another side of the coin.

out of interest mackenzie haw many do you attend a season (home and away)

moomba said:
I'd much prefer to be at the game than not.

But I dont love the club more because of it.

If I decided to be a Grampus 8 supporter of course I wouldnt feel the same as I do about City (or my teams in Australia, USA etc).

But in time if it interested me I would develop some emotional attachment to them, just as over time I developed an emotional attachment to City.

Didn't you once state that if the rumours of us signing Bellamy were true, your seasoncard was going in the bin?

Makes perfect sense now.

salfordpaul said:
mackenzie said:
Green pennies

City for most of us is in our marrow, our DNA. The very place where we have been raised is seeped with City and it's history.

I'm not knocking your support at all, just saying that whilst you beat on about the non geographical connection there is another side of the coin.

Many more than I do now. My finances don't allow it at the moment.

mackenzie said:
salfordpaul said:
mackenzie said:
Green pennies

no probs am not having a go at anyone but i have read all this thread and thought that many who are giving it the big one about being a superfan, live in england and don t do every home and away, so what makes a superfan. why can t a yank live breath and love city more than a person from greater manchester who doesn t go for one reason or another.

i can always get a ticket, no foreign invasion will change that because i have points in the bag. these "foreigners" will probably spend more coming over 3 times a season than a native mancunian does in 3 three seasons. so whose the biggest fan?

if anyone loves city that'll do for me.

sorry to pick on you macenzie it was just that you were the last poster

c-t-i-d-87 said:
Didn't you once state that if the rumours of us signing Bellamy were true, your seasoncard was going in the bin?

Makes perfect sense now.

I'm pretty sure I've not spoken about Bellamy since April 2012 when you registered as a member on bluemoon.

salfordpaul said:
mackenzie said:
salfordpaul said:

no probs am not having a go at anyone but i have read all this thread and thought that many who are giving it the big one about being a superfan, live in england and don t do every home and away, so what makes a superfan. why can t a yank live breath and love city more than a person from greater manchester who doesn t go for one reason or another.

i can always get a ticket, no foreign invasion will change that because i have points in the bag. these "foreigners" will probably spend more coming over 3 times a season than a native mancunian does in 3 three seasons. so whose the biggest fan?

if anyone loves city that'll do for me.

sorry to pick on you macenzie it was just that you were the last poster

No problem at all. Can see why you asked to be honest.

I was 14 when I had my first season ticket, travelled to Maine Road on my own (loved every minute).

Then things changed when I had my Son when I was 18 and times got tough.

Not saying I am a 'superfan' at all. Many a time in those days all I could do was listen to the commentary on GMR and thought 'thank God for those that are still there and have such passion'
And that's when we were shite.

In recent years I got to many more games, but now finances (for various reasons) have taken a downward spiral.

Sorry but I don't get why there is an assumption that "new" fans are necessarily more fiscally unchallenged than age old locals?
To date, City is hardly an expensive Premier League club to support?
From a personal point of view, as a relatively new supporter who has championed City for many years,( mainly for being optimistic/ deluded, but never successful, its not my fault that they have recently got a spurt on and looked like winning something. The black humour of my City following mates was the thing that attracted me to the club in the first place. Personally speaking, it wouldn't be the end of the world for me if City got shit again, the craic would still be the same but, on balance, I wouldn't wish any more York Cities on them.

salfordpaul said:
green pennies said:
JohnMaddocksAxe said:
I don't buy this comparison. Primarily because it uses real, actual relationships as a metaphor. My whole point is that sport and football and being able to say "my team one" is not an important thing in life. Certainly not in any way comparable to real relationships with real people.

That is exactly why, for me, the only reason or justification for getting excited about/so involved with wanting a team to win and investing emotion in it is exactly because that team and it's success is somehow associated with your real relationships, your society and your environment. Otherwise, supporting a team just becomes a case of meaningless boasting to others who have similarly chosen a random team to support. It doesn't affect your society, your interactions with people who mean something to you, your home, etc, etc.

So, to compare feelings about Manchester City to relationships with people you care for really blows my mind. Everyone, and I mean everyone, if they are honest with themselves would give up ever hearing about Manchester City again if it meant saving the life of someone they care for. Such relationships are on a totally other level. But such emotive comparisons are common place stuff in justifications of why manufactured links/'love' for a far away sporting entity (or, if you want to boil it down even further, a limited company) has 'blossomed'.

I can totally understand developing feelings for a person you have never met before and that person becoming, eventually, your wife. But, come on, are we honestly comparing the process of developing a relationship with a spouse to your thought process as to why you wish to cite Manchester City/Manchester United/Liverpool/whoever's victories as something that reflects well on you?

One is a real thing, a relationship with a human being, someone you can touch, love, feel, develop all sorts of facets of understanding with. The other is a football club from miles away who you choose to say represents you purely on the basis that you randomly choose to say it represents you. If your relationship with your wife disappears, it dramatically alters your life. If Manchester City disappears it dramatically alters the landscape of Manchester but, whilst I am sure you wouldn't welcome it, they would be easily, eventually be replaced with another club that would eventually 'represent' you too.

My whole point is that choosing to get emotionally involved with a club and its results is, in reality, a nonsensical thing to do. It only really makes any kind of sense and can be slightly justified by it having a impact on a society, circles, relationships that you are involved with and connected with. Just like your meeting your wife has an impact on all those things. Choosing to say that a random football club represents you is so far away from real relationships with, as you suggest, your wife that I suspect your wife would be royally pissed off if she heard you equating the two. One (your relationship with your wife, is important. The other, choosing to say that City represent you, is most certainly not. And that is why I cannot get my head round these justifications at all.

Actually, oddly, I was having a conversation with my wife about this "conversation" we were having on here (a not-in-my society, circles, or face to face relationships conversation, mind) and she actually smiled and said something to the effect of "You really must like me, eh?"

I mean look, if your greater point is to knock ALL club supporting and sport fandom in general, then fine. It is silly, it's probably a cheap, two-bit replacement for ancient things that modern society lacks, it has no connection or importance when connected to REAL life (ie - I'd ditch it forever to save my wife's life), etc... but if you want to be bashing it thusly, then you have to defend your supposed right to be an "in" fan and my lack of a right to be.

I mean ok, we've established that your friends and fam are all "on the inside" and mine aren't.. You ostensibly live close to the grounds and I don't.. You see the club play live, I don't. Are you really that much closer though? Aren't all your freinds and fam caught up in the same supposed bullshit/manufactured silliness you described for me? I mean unless you call Vinny Kompany up on the phone and go out for dinner together, unless you shop for scarves and trenchcoats with Bobby Manc, unless you are roomies with AJ, unless you are helping Joleon launch his new clothing brand, unless you have a cot at Carrington.... unless you have some kind of super-connection I am not aware of, then with the possible exception of the fact that you see games live with a lot of other folk who do the same... how TRULY connected are you? You can't walk into the tunnel. You need to watch the tunnel cam vids online same as me. Want to see an interview with Gareth Barry? You need to flick on the television or go online same as me. And I'm sure you look up to see replays if shown on screen at the Etihad to get a slow mo second peak at what's happening?

Is the Shiek your uncle? Is Mike Summerbee your yoga instructor?

You are just as separated from things as I am.. not physically, but for all intents and purposes. By your logic, if the people in your society all of a sudden decided to hate City and not show up to games, then you would have no reason to either! Why should a person's surroundings be a prerequisite for joining the "together" movement? (You and I both know that City the organization more than WANTS those of us around the world to feel we are a part of it.) Fandom does not need to be developed on the Kippax steps.

Also, you keep mentioning this bragging/boasting business, and I keep trying to tell you: I don't boast or have any need to! All I am saying is that if you feel the love in your heart, it is real, and I reject the idea that because you can smell the chips and walk through the puddles of spilt beer, because you can have banter with the guys you work with about it, that you are on some "next level". As I said in earlier posts, I do respect the time, effort, and difference in length of years of your support.. But you really can't wrap your head around someone feeling EXACTLY like you? Why? Because they watched something on an HD screen and you watched it from the stands and talked to your mates about it? I would argue that much of what being a fan is is internal. It "affects" your society in that it happens there and many in the area will tend to care.. but what you feel for a club happens on the inside.

Believe me, I understand what it's like when something you love and have a local connection to like an underground band all of a sudden goes big.. It can leave you feeling hurt and abused. It can cause real anger. Especially for the new "commercial" fans.. but at the end of the day if the band gets financially secure and can keep making music for all people, it's usually better for everyone. The music goes on and we all enjoy it together. The shit fans will fall by the wayside when bumps come, the goodhearted ones will hang on.

I'm just so curious about your background now as this goes on.. I mean did your parents not give you any choice? football? music? television? do you only follow local everything? are you moved by nothing that comes out of an electronic box? Are you so tactile/kinesthetic that you abandon the abstract in all things?

When I went on a road trip to the west coast this past summer and looked up a pub where San Francisco Blues supporters gathered and showed up to watch the Swansea match, you know what? It got really social and caring and friendly and real really quick! We were instant friends! Real conversations, real cheering, real joy. When I taught a group of sophomores in high school (I'm a teacher) who don't know Man City from Manure how to do the Poznan and sing "We're Not Really Here" in class, when I made a fake Man-U fan wear my Kompany shirt in school on Tuesday after the Derby? We had real smiles and laughs and FUN. This is supposed to be fun in between all the nail-biting, right?

Things matter if you want them to matter. If you think football is silly, it's silly for you, even if you live on Maine Road. If you think it's great and it moves you on the inside, it doesn't matter if you live on the (blue) moon.

pennies some excellent posts by your good self over the last few days...very enjoyable !

so you are a teacher ?? your mission should you wish to accept, is to turn america blue ! you are dealing with impressionable young people..........go to work !!

you are hearby authorised to come out with the following statements of fact by the good and true believers on bluemoon :

1) the queen supports man city
2) the pope dislikes man u..( he thinks they are devils incarnate )
3) if you are a city fan you will be an achiever in life
4) if you are a united fan you are more likely to suffer more tooth ache in later life
5)if you are a united fan there is a possibilty when you get home from school...your mom and dad may well have moved without telling you

feel free to add any more pennies..keep up the good work 9/10 ;)

well salfordpaul, I’m fighting the good fight. Most of the time it’s jovial but there is an Italian boy in my class who is born and bred Napoli and that got a bit touchy earlier this year..

I always hang a Man City poster in my room and I wear my City scarf and windbreaker to school most every day. Apparently one of our principals is a massive Rag but it’s never come up thankfully.

On Fridays before match weekends I usually go in and talk about who City are playing and give the kids some details. It’s gotten to where some of the kids will now check out the games if they are on a channel they have and come in and talk to me about it on Monday.

Inspired by that “Ninjas and Tanks” blog I read here, I mayyyyy have framed the derby as a battle between good and evil to the impressionable young minds. Ok, I definitely did..

But yeah, bottom line, I think if one kid comes out of it as a City fan or at the bare minimum as not a rag then I have done well.

mackenzie said:
Green pennies

Mackenzie, not sure if you read all of the ultralong posts this week (wouldn’t blame you if not for sure), but I certainly was not trying to downgrade the quite visceral experience of being a born and bred Blue. You guys obviously know this club in a way I will never fully understand. That was never questioned.. The thing JMA and I were going on about was more over this idea of if it was silly or not to be a foreigner and “claim” your love/support/fandom of a club if you had never been physically near it and a part of the society where it resides. JMA basically said he can’t wrap his mind around foreigner fans and questioned our motives as having a need to boast or brag or manufacture a non-existant relationship out of nothing. My argument is just that it’s a feeling in the heart, and the virtual world foreign fans experience their City football through is a community too. I was only going after his “connection” to sort of argue the merits of connection to a club and to explore what it really means.

But yeah, of course I defer to and respect the lifelong local Blues. You guys are my heroes, and I don’t want it to be read as anything but.

r.soleofsalford said:
green pennies, mate, i have no problem with foreign city fans, in fact i welcome them, but to suggest you`d put your wife before city just shows me how little you really care for the team i love.

you can always get another wife, but never another team.

r.soleofsalford, What I said was that to SAVE MY WIFE’S LIFE I’d give it up.. I think that’s acceptable. Not saying if she started bitching from the kitchen I’d turn the bloody match off ☺

Luckily, since that is a hypothetical, I will still be City even if I am 89 and on my fourth wife.

Also, to everyone, I am really happy to be exchanging thoughts with you guys. I’ve read posts from all of you and it’s a joy for me to be kicking around ideas in here.

One day I’m going to cluelessly come wandering/wondering to this message board and inquire as to how I can get a ticket or two to a match when I get to England for the first time. My only hope is that someone steps up and maybe I can get some help with a ticket, get in, see it all live in front of me, and then be able to die happy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.