Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say he should. I said if he was bigger I would. His ability & Kompany's build he would be the best defender in the world. He looked a much better player than Verane by comparison at international level, in every single aspect of the game except size.

But you can't simply ignore the size issue. He's either ready and able to play regularly for City, or he's not. The reasons why he isn't aren't actually all that relevant. Whatever they are they exist, and they need time in order to eradicate. If he needs to fill out then let him do so, with training, and games somewhere else for a season. If it's a technical issue then, again, let him train to improve, and get games somewhere else. City don't need to be a "learn on the job" side these days, we can get that kind of stuff done elsewhere, and bring them in when there's far less rough edges.

Im not saying just play every youngster for the hell of it, but the only way to know if denayer is good enough is to actually give him a chance and personally I think he derserves that after his performances the past two seasons.

Not saying otemendi is bad player by the way I think he would be class here, he also seems to be a threat from set pieces which would l be a good advanatge to have.
He'll get his chance.

Tell me a title challenging side in Europe with a 20 year old centre half with one season of near amature football under his belt as their third choice?

Name me a 20 year old centre back playing regularly anywhere. Denayer is ahead of Jon Stones at the same age.

It's incredibly rare for centre backs to anywhere near a first team of our level at just turned 20.

To think a defender who turned 20 just 6 weeks ago is ready to play at level is simply wrong. History would back that up.
It’s not just about Denayer not getting a chance this season. This signing means we’ve either wasted £30m or it blocks his path for a long time. We’ll have three centre backs who will all expect regular first team football as one of them is our captain and the other two cost £30m+. Kompany is the eldest at 29, so he should have another 3-4 years left in him.

So, either Mangala or Otamendi fail, and we’ve wasted £30m, or for the next 3-4 years, there’s no way through for Denayer, as no-one can seriously expect us to have 4 centre backs that play regularly. Now I’m assuming that the club don’t think Mangala or Otamendi will fail, given they’ve just spent huge sums of money on them, so they’re obviously not planning on giving Denayer a chance anytime soon and the message this sends out to the rest of our young talent is appalling.

I feel bad for denayer, what more does he have to do to get a chance even in the squad. With kompany , mangala and this guy he isn't gonna get a chance. He's one of the best young players in Europe and we aren't gonna give him a chance it appears. No point in forever going I on loan IMO. Rather then spend all this money we could just use denayer and trust him
Same could have been said of Cortrois two and a half years ago.

Going on loan doesn't kill a career does it.

I think we could even give Denayer that role seemingly earmarked for Demchelis atm, bring him on late in games in front of the back four to shore up the midfield.

He's often been talked of as having the quality to play in midfield. Come to think of it, we could shift Demichelis out and keep Denayer as 4th choice centre half, and get him minutes in that role this season.

All he lacks is experience. It'd take a leap of faith, that I don't think Manuel has in him at present, but I think it'd be an option.

Totally disagree with that.

Look at Phil Jones, the best way to ruin a promising young footballer's career is to play him out of position. Denayer is a centre half, he needs to play football at centre half in order to develop in that role. Playing him, in cameos, as a defensive midfielder, does no-one any good whatsoever.

I think we could even give Denayer that role seemingly earmarked for Demchelis atm, bring him on late in games in front of the back four to shore up the midfield.

He's often been talked of as having the quality to play in midfield. Come to think of it, we could shift Demichelis out and keep Denayer as 4th choice centre half, and get him minutes in that role this season.

All he lacks is experience. It'd take a leap of faith, that I don't think Manuel has in him at present, but I think it'd be an option.

That's 100% what should be happening. Denayer should have definitely come on in the MDM role against WBA in particular.

he asked are there twenty year old squad players at similer clubs to ours and the answer is yes there are loads.

There are, and none of them, with the level of experience Denayer has got, were playing regular first team football, for a side competing at the top of one of Europe's best leagues, and participating in Champion's League football.

If Denayer is as good as he thinks he is (along with fans that have actually watched him play including myself) he has nothing to worry about. He will get plenty of game time once the cup comps come round. For the first time in ages we are going to be in a position where mid week european games, league cup games etc won't totally screw our league form up as we will be able to 'rotate' and rotate with quality at that! Chill out everyone

By the time the cups come around, he'll be rusty as fuck & half the player he was last season & probably shitting himself rather than full of confidence through playing big games every week.

He needs time on the pitch. Even if it's doing the job Demi did on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.