Our attendances

10 to 15 quid tickets will always work.

A lot of our core support, local people, are priced out. This will be a great atmosphere tomorrow, and fair fucks to the club for dropping the prices.

These last 4 home games have cost me a fucking fortune.

That obviously helps - there’s likely to be more City fans there tomorrow than we had in the ground against Napoli last week - but if you go back only 5 or 6 years, there’s no chance we’d have gotten a 50,000-plus crowd for a League Cup 4th round game against Championship opposition even with tickets priced as cheaply as tomorrow and it being during half-term.

Of course, the football we’re currently playing has sent interest soaring but I think aside from that it’s obvious our support base is increasing all the time and in contrast to some of our CL games, what we’ll see tomorrow is a far more localised crowd with plenty of kids in attendance. We lost a generation of fans in playgrounds in and around Manchester when United were smashing it up for 20-plus years under Ferguson while we were largely shite but we’re starting to claw that back now.

i kinda agree and disagree with that. it depends on who we are playing, but i think wed have easily gotten 50,000 5 or 6 years ago if it was against a prem team in the cup. hamburg is the proof of that. we sold out within something like 3 hours.there are huge amounts of city fans from manchester who have stopped going for whatever reason - priced out being one of them. i know so many city fans who used to go and stopped because it became too expensive. the club talk about attracting new fans, but we should be targeting locals. theres thousands of kids and families who live 5/10 minutes away from the ground who have never been to the etihad. i always see the gangs of kids on the estates walking past mary ds, they should be in the ground. tomorrow nights support is more of true reflection of our core support and what our crowd would be like if it was german level pricing. ( mainly locals )

our fan base is growing ill agree with you on that.

Last edited:
because its cheap and affordable.
50% cheap tickets & the fun factor. We've had cheap tickets before and not been able to sell Cup tickets, but now everyone wants to watch City. It was a chore and a duty to be done. Now it's exciting. It's like watching City when we won the title under Mancini or Keegan in the championship when we scored 100 goals a season - in a 46 game league. Every home game you knew the Goat was going to score, the roof would go off the North Stand and the speedboat Huckerby would absolutely destroy the full back.

i kinda agree and disagree with that. it depends on who we are playing, but i think wed have easily gotten 50,000 5 or 6 years ago if it was against a prem team in the cup. hamburg is the proof of that. we sold out within something like 3 hours.there are huge amounts of city fans from manchester who have stopped going for whatever reason - priced out being one of them. i know so many city fans who used to go and stopped because it became too expensive. the club talk about attracting new fans, but we should be targeting locals. theres thousands of kids and families who live 5/10 minutes away from the ground who have never been to the etihad. i always see the gangs of kids on the estates walking past mary ds, they should be in the ground. tomorrow nights support is more of true reflection of our core support and what our crowd would be like if it was german level pricing. ( mainly locals )

our fan base is growing ill agree with you on that.
Wasn't that long ago that City fans were desperate for any hint of success but we couldn't fill the ground for League Cup quarter Finals or FA Cup quarter Finals. We had a loyal core of seasoncard holders and very few other fans. It was the free the 30,000. Now we've doubled our fan-base in a little over a decade. Only good - providing of course the original fans are still going.

I think he will play Sergio tomorrow. He mentioned it post match on Saturday. Pity I won't be there to see him break the record.

That's the reason tickets are selling very well imo. Was there for his debut and decided to get tickets tonight to hopefully see him break the record tomorrow.

Wasn't that long ago that City fans were desperate for any hint of success but we couldn't fill the ground for League Cup quarter Finals or FA Cup quarter Finals. We had a loyal core of seasoncard holders and very few other fans. It was the free the 30,000. Now we've doubled our fan-base in a little over a decade. Only good - providing of course the original fans are still going.

i think we have lots of fans, but once people stop going they get into a habit of not going again. id say we have a core of about 40-45,000 but within that core are fans that have been priced out. as i said i know so many people that used to go all the time, that have stopped going.

50% cheap tickets & the fun factor. We've had cheap tickets before and not been able to sell Cup tickets, but now everyone wants to watch City. It was a chore and a duty to be done. Now it's exciting. It's like watching City when we won the title under Mancini or Keegan in the championship when we scored 100 goals a season - in a 46 game league. Every home game you knew the Goat was going to score, the roof would go off the North Stand and the speedboat Huckerby would absolutely destroy the full back.

we've not had 10 quid tickets that much. when we have done it usually sells out or comes close, watford in the cup a few years ago or boro being an example. strangely enough huckerby used to be one of my favourite players aha

Compare the population and competition City face in the North West to the London clubs. London clubs have a bigger catchment area with a much bigger, richer population, have better transport infrastructure plus far more tourists for whom going to a football game may be an additional attraction. Considering these disadvantages, our attendances are consistent and remarkably high and include many none local supporters going back to the 1960's successes.

I wish something could be done about the transport, I think that would negate a lot of the advantages the London clubs have. It might even reduce early leavers and bring in more tourists should we need them. It's probably not the easiest for a foreign fan to get to the ground compared to the London clubs, I've heard a lot of fans in and around Manchester being put off by the hassle of it.

As people get older, have kids, other interests, money issues, less energy, many have always drifted out of March going. In the past they would be replaced by a new young generation. Youngsters cannot afford it now on a regular basis.
The reason attendances hold up is because of a more generalised middle class attendance, more cash in the pocket, not as fanatic but can afford the high ticket prices.

Only cheap standing ends will reverse the trend.My mates and I used to go every week aged 12, alone to matches,for my sins went to the swamp often aswell because it was so cheap,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.