Our Defence...

dancity19

Intrigued as to what people think is our best defence, or where to go from here. Sat was our first clean sheet of the season with a back four of Zab, Richards, Lescott and Kolarov. On paper, before the game, a back 4 that might not have filled people with confidence, considering it was Richards first game back from injury, in a position he hasn't played in for a while for City, and a new CB partnership; I doubt they have ever played a competetive match together in CB.

Whether you think they clean sheet was down to us having a great balance in midfield, rather than Yaya Toure making up one of the central/ central defensive midfield players is another point.

But, who do we play in defence now, and where...? Obviously Kompany comes back in at CB, but is that for Lescott or Richards; Richards was awesome there, and was far more assured on the ball under pressure than I thought he could be. I am a clichy fan all day long, but Kolarov did stake a claim to start more often, and was at the heart of all 3 goals.

Interesting really, as we have changed our defence far too much this season, and will no doubt be changing it again come the next match, but who for? It isn't inconceivable we see a whole new layout, with 3 different faces to who played on Saturday- Richards- Kompany- Nastasic- Clichy.

A team needs consistency in the back four, but who plays at CB is a really interesting one now, as, if Richards can put in performances like that week in week out he should play there, although we will miss his bursts upfield from RB...

Thoughts?

Richards..........kompany...........lescott...........clichy

bluebannana said:

I am sure that will be most people's choice- probably mine as well. But I do think Mancini has lost some confidence in Lescott...

bluebannana said:

I agree with the above post. This is the lineup we should use until we're able to buy Phil Jones in the January Window. Once we've got Jones we can go "one at the back" as he can easily do the defensive work of 4 men.

Interestingly in the same games last season we conceded one goal more and we only kept two clean sheets - Swansea and Arsenal at the Etihad. That may mean the "problems" we have in defence are problems journalists see rather than anyone else.

chestervegasblue said:
For me:

Zabaleta Richards Kompany Clichy

Strength, pace, versatility and timing.

Richards...................Kompany....................Lescott................Clichy.

However I think a CB pairing of Richards and Kompany could well be the long term pairing!

The clean sheet was kept by Milner and Barry. It was hardly a testing exercise for our back line. Especially given Zab and Kola were almost always in and around Sunderlands box. Even set piece deliveries were weak. Micah made some good decisions on when to come out and intercept, something Kompany has been getting wrong time and time again, but again, not much pressure, it was easy enough pickings.

Lomas has a lob on said:
chestervegasblue said:
For me:

Zabaleta Richards Kompany Clichy

Strength, pace, versatility and timing.

Richards...................Kompany....................Lescott................Clichy.

However I think a CB pairing of Richards and Kompany could well be the long term pairing!

That line up, with Milner, Barry and Yaya in front helping to protect them = clean sheets galore.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.