PC shut down problem

My desktop was doing the same, restarting on its own, recently. Tried to switch on yesterday and it was stuck in a repair mode and not loading windows. Tried restarting several times but ended up putting my windows 7 disc in and reloading. The problem now is that it won't update, it seems to be stuck in searching for updates mode. Any help would be appreciated.

Possible bad disk sectors where windows files are located.

Does it give you the option of chdsk?

Doesn't give that option but I'll give it a go, cheers.
You could try the following:

Use Win+x and select Command Prompt (Admin), then type 'net stop wuauserv' (without the quotes) and hit Enter, followed by 'net stop bits' and Enter. You should see confirmations that each service was either stopped or wasn't running. Next, open Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, and delete its contents including any sub-folders. Now reboot, open Windows Update and click Check for updates.

Doesn't give that option but I'll give it a go, cheers.
Or: http://pureinfotech.com/update-latest-windows-10-build-fails-10158-10159/

If the update is stuck, errors occur, or update won’t show up
There could be the case that you will get stuck at “Downloading Updates 0%”, or you could start seeing different error codes, or if you’re running a 32-bit version of the operating system the upgrade will simple not show up. In these scenarios you can try restarting the Windows Update service, which will also work for many other cases as well.

To restart the Windows Update service:

1. Right-click on the taskbar, and open the Task Manager

2. Click the “More details” button

3. Navigate to the Service tab

4. Find the wuauserv, right-click the service, and click Restart
You don’t need to restart, simply to do the upgrade again.

OK firstly, TCIB, did the disk checks and no faults, but thanks for the advice.
Secondly, Colin, thanks for the advice, I had to change windows update from auto delayed to auto.
Took a couple of attempts but I am now back on a working windows 10, so thanks again.

Downloaded CPUID and checked the temperatures, due to pc still rebooting, and found that the CPU was getting too hot, 68 centigrade at near idle.
Ended up removing the heatsink, cleaning both the heatsink and CPU and applying some new thermal paste. It's now running at 38 degrees at idle, 48 when gaming and
no restarts.

Downloaded CPUID and checked the temperatures, due to pc still rebooting, and found that the CPU was getting too hot, 68 centigrade at near idle.
Ended up removing the heatsink, cleaning both the heatsink and CPU and applying some new thermal paste. It's now running at 38 degrees at idle, 48 when gaming and
no restarts.
God I'm good...

Glad you got it sorted bud.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.