Pellegrini to Arsenal..

Kill to finish 2nd & 4th Gradually getting worse?
There's fuck all wrong with 1st, 2nd and 4th and two League Cups in three seasons. That's the kind of record a big club should be hoping for. Not happily bobbing along at 2nd-4th for fifteen years and getting two FA Cups in that time.

Maybe Pellegrini is one of those managers that works better when he has less money to spend than he had at City so maybe it wouldn't be such a bad appointment after all? Personally, I couldn't fault his first season with us but we did start to regress after that. However, look at the jobs he did at Villarreal and Malaga where it could be legitimately argued that he over-achieved relative to the resources made available to him. Took Villarreal to within a whisker of a CL final in 2006 (ironically it was Arsenal that knocked them out), and finished runners-up in La Liga in 2008, a full 10 points ahead of Barcelona. At Malaga there were issues with the ownership but he still took them to a CL quarter-final which in all fairness should've been a semi-final if it wasn't for them being done over by a Dortmund goal that saw almost half their team in an offside position.

Presumably any change would do Arsenal good. But with all due respect to Pellegrini and his 3 titles for us, I think he had problems motivating our squad of non-hungry players. That is exactly Arsenals problem too I would think. They need a harder man in charge, a type like Simeone. Therefore I would be fine with them appointing Pellegrini.

I think his motivational problems would be much different at Arsenal.
At City he had ageing egos that had won the league already, a changing room that was or had more say than the manager. Pellegrini would never have had the backing of the club or unwavering support of the fans to make calls like Pep has. We all knew, the players knew he was purely a caretaker.
I'd love to hear Pellegrini's side of things, I'm sure he'd have been similar to Pep and would have wanted several players out.

Pellegrini is much slagged for his last season at City. A season everyone knew was his last. I imagine it's very hard to get your own way when everyone knows your time is up.

Pellegrini had a 1st, 2nd & 4th place finish with two cup and much improved European record.
Everyone said last season that any decent manager would walk the league with the squad we had, that we should never be getting battered, well we have the best manager in the World and results have been largely similar.
There is obviously one big difference, we can all see what Pep is working towards, we know there's a plan and on good days you can see a blueprint for a very exciting future.
Pellegrini never had this chance.

I think it may be a bit late in his career now, but I'd be very interested to see what he could do at Arsenal.
He did exceptionally well in Spain with two unfashionable clubs and did well with Real.

The issue with motivation at Arsenal should be much different. They've won fuck all, they should be motivated to achieve their potential. I guess they've grown tired of Wenger refusing to learn from his mistakes.
Pellegrini may not be the manager that re-lights the fires at Arsenal, his age, personality and final year at City may not excite the players or fans enough.

His team finished in second place two places above Pellegrini's who scrapped into 4th with arguably the best squad in the league. As I said earlier it says it all the MP is working in China

Surely by that notion, we stll have the best squad in the league and aren't performing any better.
I think Guardiola is the best manager in the World, he's obviously building but we're not performing any better with a much better squad.
Guardiola is working with a squad that all know he's leading, he's bigger, more valued and the dominant figure at the club, that is the polar opposite to Pellegrini's last season.

It was said by many last year that Guardiola would be playing the younger players, we'd not be seeing the likes of Navas, Delph et al, but we are. Guardiola is showing no more faith in youth than Pellegrini did. Why? Both for the same reasons, it's near impossible to leave out senior pros and maintain harmony. We may all think Navas is shit and player x should play, but we've no idea how that would effect the squad.

So despite Guardiola building for a very exciting future, the performances are very similar, the results are very similar.
I'm delighted we have Pep, so I'm not slating him in any way, I just think our inconsistencies show how it wasn't as easy as many thought it was and puts Pellegrini's job into context.

He was frustrating last year, last year was frustrating. But we had some excellent performances, Chelsea home and away last year, Seville away, PSG home and away was as good as anything we've seen this season.
Pellegrini had it in him, the players had it in them, if he could, if they could get it so right sometimes, you'd have to ask why they also got it so wrong sometimes.
Same could easily have been said of this season.

Last edited:
Wenger's selling point is his ability to bring out the best in his players, mostly the young ones - he did it for Nasri, etc. Mention one player that thrived under the charming man? KDB's play took a nose -dive, same for Silva, Sterling, Even Kun. The reason Pep is having it tough right now is because of the terrible mess the charming man left behind. No plan B, refusing to make a change until 75 minutes. Mancini won the title and the team worked their asses off to see it happen, Manuel won the title because of Slippy G's error. As far as I am concerned Manuel is a terrible manager and I lost every respect I had for him when he deliberately stopped making an effort because we signed up Pep to take over.

I think his motivational problems would be much different at Arsenal.
At City he had ageing egos that had won the league already, a changing room that was or had more say than the manager. Pellegrini would never have had the backing of the club or unwavering support of the fans to make calls like Pep has. We all knew, the players knew he was purely a caretaker.
I'd love to hear Pellegrini's side of things, I'm sure he'd have been similar to Pep and would have wanted several players out.

Pellegrini is much slagged for his last season at City. A season everyone knew was his last. I imagine it's very hard to get your own way when everyone knows your time is up.

Pellegrini had a 1st, 2nd & 4th place finish with two cup and much improved European record.
Everyone said last season that any decent manager would walk the league with the squad we had, that we should never be getting battered, well we have the best manager in the World and results have been largely similar.
There is obviously one big difference, we can all see what Pep is working towards, we know there's a plan and on good days you can see a blueprint for a very exciting future.
Pellegrini never had this chance.

I think it may be a bit late in his career now, but I'd be very interested to see what he could do at Arsenal.
He did exceptionally well in Spain with two unfashionable clubs and did well with Real.

The issue with motivation at Arsenal should be much different. They've won fuck all, they should be motivated to achieve their potential. I guess they've grown tired of Wenger refusing to learn from his mistakes.
Pellegrini may not be the manager that re-lights the fires at Arsenal, his age, personality and final year at City may not excite the players or fans enough.
I agree with many of your points there, but without wanting to restart the old Pellegrini discussion I think the finishing positions of his 3 years paint a very rosy picture of things. The last 2 years of his tenure were very bad. Based on those I just don't see the "tired old man" Pellegrini being able to achieve the change of mentality that is obviously required at Arsenal. Keeping Wenger or replacing him with Pellegrini is more or less going to be the same I guess.

I agree with many of your points there, but without wanting to restart the old Pellegrini discussion I think the finishing positions of his 3 years paint a very rosy picture of things. The last 2 years of his tenure were very bad. Based on those I just don't see the "tired old man" Pellegrini being able to achieve the change of mentality that is obviously required at Arsenal. Keeping Wenger or replacing him with Pellegrini is more or less going to be the same I guess.

That's kind of my point, the final two years were not focused on him and rather Guardiola. We had a manager that everyone knew preferred a 442-424 similar to Mancini, yet all we did was sell players from under him.
He's been vocal about wanting Sanchez. He didn't get him.

I too have no desire to reopen the Pellegrini argument, I do believe that the problems we still encounter under a far superior manager highlight that Pellegrini was not quite as bad as some like to make out.

In terms of Arsenal and this topic, he came into City, a club with a very talented squad who'd downed tools for the manager and galvanised the whole squad and played some of the best football we've ever seen.
He would obviously be a short term fix, but I think he'd do better than Wenger. They'd certainly be better in Europe.

I doubt though he'd have enough desire to take a job where he may not be wanted, I'm sure the fans maybe uninspired.
But if a club but their ultimate faith in him, it may see him return to the charming man rather than the defeated fella we saw in his last season.

There's fuck all wrong with 1st, 2nd and 4th and two League Cups in three seasons. That's the kind of record a big club should be hoping for. Not happily bobbing along at 2nd-4th for fifteen years and getting two FA Cups in that time.

Their last three seasons, the Pellegrini ones, 4th 3rd 2nd and two Cups getting better in the league under Wegner not worse under MP

Surely by that notion, we stll have the best squad in the league and aren't performing any better.
I think Guardiola is the best manager in the World, he's obviously building but we're not performing any better with a much better squad.
Guardiola is working with a squad that all know he's leading, he's bigger, more valued and the dominant figure at the club, that is the polar opposite to Pellegrini's last season.

It was said by many last year that Guardiola would be playing the younger players, we'd not be seeing the likes of Navas, Delph et al, but we are. Guardiola is showing no more faith in youth than Pellegrini did. Why? Both for the same reasons, it's near impossible to leave out senior pros and maintain harmony. We may all think Navas is shit and player x should play, but we've no idea how that would effect the squad.

So despite Guardiola building for a very exciting future, the performances are very similar, the results are very similar.
I'm delighted we have Pep, so I'm not slating him in any way, I just think our inconsistencies show how it wasn't as easy as many thought it was and puts Pellegrini's job into context.

He was frustrating last year, last year was frustrating. But we had some excellent performances, Chelsea home and away last year, Seville away, PSG home and away was as good as anything we've seen this season.
Pellegrini had it in him, the players had it in them, if he could, if they could get it so right sometimes, you'd have to ask why they also got it so wrong sometimes.
Same could easily have been said of this season.

IMHO The performances are not similar there's a plan and organization with tactics and formations changed during the game unlike MP who just sent his team out in hope. There were so many poor performances under MP and yes a few good ones but it was when he was forced, through non availability, that he changed from his beloved 442. The first half of his first season was wonderful, on the back of Mancini's organization, and the final run in won the PL after Liverpool and Rodgers fucked up. Lets face it the League Cup is not a difficult cup to win and the second one was won on penalties.
Maybe the youth who should be pushing on into the first team aren't good enough? There are some great prospects in the U18 but its too early for them.
IMHO if MP was still the manager we would be ins serious trouble, Pep is getting far more out of this squad than MP ever did, bearing in mind that many of the key players are older. Look how Silva is enjoying his football again the improvement in Sterling and Yaya looking a stone slimmer, able to do a job for us AK has been the most improved player in the squad at CH

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.