PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

The points penalty was based on the commission's view that (a) the excess spending brought Everton an unfair advantage and (b) a financial penalty wasn't appropriate for a club with a wealthy owner. At first I thought a smaller points deduction was the appropriate penalty but I've changed my mind, thinking about it.

In 2022 and 2023, Everton would have been relegated with a 10-point deduction. Yet in 2021 they finished 10th, with 59 points and they were 12th the season before. Therefore you'd have to question what advantage this additional spending brought them? Clearly none, plus you'd have to look at teams like united and Chelsea, who have spent fortunes and can't get out of their group or even get into the CL/EL.

Point b was nonsensical, as I'm sure the majority of clubs have wealthy owners. The punishment should fit the crime.

That was my thinking when I thought about it.

10 pts is usually enough to (very roughly)

drop a top-2 team out of the top 2
drop a 3rd/4th team out of the CL places
drop a 5th/6th team out of European contention
(doesn't do a great deal for 8th-11th)
drops 12th-15th into the edge of relegation
drops 16th-17th into the relegation zone.

So it affects almost every position where it has significance.

In the village i live they have a christmas festival where they close the road one night and all the shops, churches, takeways etc open up and they have stalls n rides …

Anyway, a couple of years ago i was there with the kids, one who had a city bobble hat on. Was just about to walk into one of the churches that had something going on and the vicar was stood at the door and on seeing the kids hat said , “ooh here they are. emtyhad are in”.
I stopped , looked at him and said, “you have just lost any chance you ever had of me turning up for sunday service” and turned away back out the door.

Made me feel better anyway
Should have called him a paedo!

Does football need all this ffp etc ? Why cant it just be about football clubs being run as the owners wish. Why cant it be a free market.

Has ffp improve football ?

How are Wrexham allowed to spend shed loads but Newcastle cant ?
The way I think of FFP is a method for elite clubs to stifle competition, it all falls into place once you understand this.

Oh ! That's your lad ?

Funny you should say that, because Johnny marr told me the same when I knocked on for a bag of sugar this morning
You should have known Johnny wouldn’t have any sugar.

The points penalty was based on the commission's view that (a) the excess spending brought Everton an unfair advantage and (b) a financial penalty wasn't appropriate for a club with a wealthy owner. At first I thought a smaller points deduction was the appropriate penalty but I've changed my mind, thinking about it.

In 2022 and 2023, Everton would have been relegated with a 10-point deduction. Yet in 2021 they finished 10th, with 59 points and they were 12th the season before. Therefore you'd have to question what advantage this additional spending brought them? Clearly none, plus you'd have to look at teams like united and Chelsea, who have spent fortunes and can't get out of their group or even get into the CL/EL.

Point b was nonsensical, as I'm sure the majority of clubs have wealthy owners. The punishment should fit the crime.

Correct. And I would imagine clarity of punishment is fundamental in law. If it isn't, it should be. You can't tell someone if you commit a crime you will either be fined or get a death penalty. If the PL was going to punish PSR breaches with sporting sanctions, they should have made that clear at the beginning imho. Having a cover all rule that says what sanctions (effectively from fine to "death" penalty) can be imposed for any breach doesn't cut it for me.

It's just another poor rule, imho.

Yeah, I didn't get the reference to Mr Gaul above, in response to my post, and this was the only thing I could think of. Highly unlikely to be that though.

My dad taught there, and was a friend of Mr Gaul, back in the 60s / 70s.

Yeah but you have to question the sanity of clubs voting for the psr method to be introduced without any kind of breach matrix to accompany it. That kind of leaves it open to whatever masters or in actual fact rags and dippers want rather than predefined unambiguous guidelines. Whilst I used to have loads of sympathy for Everton fans sharing a city with that lot, its kind of waned drastically with all the shite since Lescott and subsequently the incessant victim hood behaviour of "its not fair what about 115 " They voted for the fucking amendments, broke the amendments despite not knowing what any punishment would be and pleaded fucking guilty so if they fuck off the the championship with 2 sets of points deductions then sobeit. At least we wont have to witness antifootball Dyche for a season or 5.
The process has not been transparent though. Everton may have been financially incompetent but ten points seems way over the top. I haven't seen any report of precisely what the clubs agreed at the start of the season in terms of potential sanctions. Surely they would all have to be in the loop. Masters' comments (to the Select Committee) seemed to suggest that he had proposed the ten points sanction and then the so-called independent panel arrived at the same decision. No mention of the clubs. What a total farce. And in all this the paying customers are not even told what is going on.

The PL proposed a 'tariff' starting at a 6 point deduction for failing FFP and another point deducted for each £5m a team failed by. So 10 points deducted for failing by £20m, which would probably have been Everton's punishment.

The independent commission rejected that however, saying it should be up to them to decide any penalty. And then imposed a 10-point penalty.
They probably rejected it because it would have meant deducting united 6 points.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.