Player Topic: Nicolas Otamendi (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't say that. We conceded because Mangala is a fucking idiot and didn't push up as soon as the ball was cleared.
Wouldn't say he is an idiot. He made a mistake. And in fairness, it was an acceptable mistake. He didn't move up coz he stopped to try to block the ball as others moved beyond him. That's just bad luck.

BTW Lasereyes thinks there should have been a clarion call to all form an offside line. I mean when he played football, aftr a corner kick gets cleared, the defenders get together to discuss what to do next. And if they don't all do the same thing then clearly no one should do anything at all. As he said, clearly there was no coordinated offside trap, so I guess everyone should have stayed back. Hence why Otamendi should have been on Mori. Pheww

Lasereyes you sound prohibitively dense. Yikes.

You can make a City video of him doing everything on that clip. He has been fantastic. Diving needed to go. Otherwise, he has been the best CB here. Yes I include Kompany in that list.

Exactly, which is why that video was complete bullshit in the first place.

You have to watch full games to see all the mistakes, like the dive leading to Everton's goal, jumping in for challenges he can't possibly win, getting skinned alive by Watford & Swansea strikers, maing Giroud look like he has the pace of Henry over 5 yards to score, & the many other potentially game losing fuckups & inadequacies. It's easy to make fanboy videos of centre backs doing spectacular stuff. Phil Jones would look incredible if you just showed his good bits. If i made one of Otamendi's fuckups & struggles in a City shirt, it would be longer than that one (Cameron Jerome says hi)

Otamendi has been below average so far for City & marginally better than Mangala, who has been poor. In that respect Otto is our best cb, as we have nobody else. The idea he is better than Kompany, is a joke & not a funy one, but Kompany isn't here. And mangala next to Kompany in Auguust, was better than any game Otamendi has played.

Hopefully, over time, his spectacular challenges (often due to being caught out in the first place or too slow) will become less frequent & he'll be in the right place to actually defend without being on his arse or doing an overhead kick. Potentially, he could be good. Right now, he isn't & everyone in football knows it, except a few bizarre fanboys on here .

The number of clean sheets we have when he plays suggests he has a long way to go to adjust and become a dependable CB in the premiership.

When its all said and done the job of the back four of which he is one is to snuff out the opposition and ensure Joe etc have as little to do as possible over 95 minutes.

I am all for giving players at least a full season if not more to establish themselves in that regard no matter the price tag they come with.

The good thing is under a manager like Pep or one with a similar ethos and work ethic he will have to adjust a lot quicker than he otherwise would.

We shall see if he is up to the challenge but in the meantime as our only fully fit CB of note at present we will see what he is capable of in the next few matches which are critical for our season starting on Saturday.

You have to watch full games to see all the mistakes, like the dive leading to Everton's goal, jumping in for challenges he can't possibly win, getting skinned alive by Watford & Swansea strikers, maing Giroud look like he has the pace of Henry over 5 yards to score, & the many other potentially game losing fuckups & inadequacies. It's easy to make fanboy videos of centre backs doing spectacular stuff. Phil Jones would look incredible if you just showed his good bits. If i made one of Otamendi's fuckups & struggles in a City shirt, it would be longer than that one (Cameron Jerome says hi)

Otamendi has been below average so far for City & marginally better than Mangala, who has been poor. In that respect Otto is our best cb, as we have nobody else. The idea he is better than Kompany, is a joke & not a funy one, but Kompany isn't here. And mangala next to Kompany in Auguust, was better than any game Otamendi has played.

Hopefully, over time, his spectacular challenges (often due to being caught out in the first place or too slow) will become less frequent & he'll be in the right place to actually defend without being on his arse or doing an overhead kick. Potentially, he could be good. Right now, he isn't & everyone in football knows it, except a few bizarre fanboys on here .
This is laughable to say the least. He makes spectacular tackles coz he is out of position to begin with? That's asinine. Most of his spectacular tackles come on one V one situations, some times he is the last man. Often he is covering someone else's angle.

This is what annoys me about this place. Oh, he got dribbled by Cameron Jerome, whoopty fukin do. I've seen Dihno nutmegged before, does this make him poor? By the way against Watford in th 2nd half, Dihno was waltz past 4 separate times, he still had a phenomenal game.. The other team came to play too you know. Didn't Sterling make Komps and Joe look like knobs turning them both inside out? Are they suddenly useless because of it.

But save us all the hyperbole, go ahead make a video of all his fukups, let's see how long it is. Otamendi has been very good. Not beyond reproach, but by far our best CD this season.

He has broken up more attacking plays, either with his tackle or interception than all the other CBs combined. But hey, it's coz he is out of position.
Sure.

The number of clean sheets we have when he plays suggests he has a long way to go to adjust and become a dependable CB in the premiership.

When its all said and done the job of the back four of which he is one is to snuff out the opposition and ensure Joe etc have as little to do as possible over 95 minutes.

I am all for giving players at least a full season if not more to establish themselves in that regard no matter the price tag they come with.

The good thing is under a manager like Pep or one with a similar ethos and work ethic he will have to adjust a lot quicker than he otherwise would.

We shall see if he is up to the challenge but in the meantime as our only fully fit CB of note at present we will see what he is capable of in the next few matches which are critical for our season starting on Saturday.
Cleansheets are such a terrible Criteria for judging players. It is so silly. I hear the knob heads on tv use it all the time. Look, a better value is chances conceded. I

It's like saying the guy with the most assist is the best at opening up defenses. It's silly. While the guy with the best assist might also be the best creator ( as Ozil right now is), the best creator generally is a function of who was able to create the most chances for his team. If your strikers fluff chance after chance, it matters little that you are a fantastic creator. Similarly, if you are the designated free kick and corner kick taker, your assists get a normal bump, even if you have the vision of a Mangala. It doesn't take much common sense to see this

if Joe makes 17 saves like he did against Barca last year, and we only conceded 1 instead of 8, this doesn't mean our defenders played well. Had Joe made the last save. It would have ended goalless, yet that would have been a terrible game for the defenders, yet a clean sheet.

All these scenarios are self evident, yet folk (not necessarily you Mancity1) continue to use these dubious stat as proof of one thing or the other.

Let's use an example, say City had a marvelous defensive game, gave up 1 shot all game but Otamendi decides to dive at the slightest touch, or Mangala decides to pass directly to an opposition, or Debryune sloppily passes the ball into a dangerous area, or Kompany muffs a simple clearance, or Mangala heads a ball in his net, or Kolarov and Debryune confuse each other on a deadly cross and it slides of Kolarov's head, or Hart takes a simple cross and drops it on a platter for striker, or the ref misses a blatant offside, or Sagna tries to dribble and loses possession.

Every single scenario above led to a goal. Error belonged to 1 guy, yet if you judge how good a defender is based on clean sheets, every single one of those errors that he could absolutely do nothing about, counts against him. That is just silly.

Sure, working well together matters. Being a solid unit, btw this implies the whole team as opposed to just the back 4and as folks here like to say '(the DM protecting the defense) - let's not even get started on the static nature of that statement... But Before I go on another tangent.

Players should be judged on how they've performed as an individual and in conjunction with teammates. Not on some spurious stat like clean sheet that gives no consideration to the varied nature of failing to keep one.

Last edited:
This is laughable to say the least. He makes spectacular tackles coz he is out of position to begin with? That's asinine. Most of his spectacular tackles come on one V one situations, some times he is the last man. Often he is covering someone else's angle.

This is what annoys me about this place. Oh, he got dribbled by Cameron Jerome, whoopty fukin do. I've seen Dihno nutmegged before, does this make him poor? By the way against Watford in th 2nd half, Dihno was waltz past 4 separate times, he still had a phenomenal game.. The other team came to play too you know. Didn't Sterling make Komps and Joe look like knobs turning them both inside out? Are they suddenly useless because of it.

But save us all the hyperbole, go ahead make a video of all his fukups, let's see how long it is. Otamendi has been very good. Not beyond reproach, but by far our best CD this season.

He has broken up more attacking plays, either with his tackle or interception than all the other CBs combined. But hey, it's coz he is out of position.
Sure.

I'm fully with you on Ota. Currently our best CB and has been great for us. Cut out the diving (which will be drilled into him), he will be a beast for us for the next few years. Always glad when he is on the team sheet.

Otamendi away at Sevilla was arguably our best CB performance of the season, he was imperious. I know you're upset that we didn't keep Denayer but please stop spouting nonsense. Otamendi has been very good thus far and is let down by team mates not doing there jobs.

Otamendi away at Sevilla was arguably our best CB performance of the season, he was imperious. I know you're upset that we didn't keep Denayer but please stop spouting nonsense. Otamendi has been very good thus far and is let down by team mates not doing there jobs.

Fully agree. Too many on here seem to want to micro examine every touch, pass, movement etc looking for faults. Trouble is, they only apply these techniques to their "targets" because if they did it to the whole team, Ric would need a new set of servers.

Every player who has played the game will make an error of judgement at some point during every game - they are human after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.