Political relations between UK-EU

Did the UK pay Astrazeneca upfront for vaccines like the EU did?

Apart from paying for vaccines, I heard that the EU put in a billion euro for their research (and the USA a billion dollars) and the UK put in £65 million. Anyone got any more accurate figures?
That was over the big six Pharma companies. Pfizer got 100M and AstraZeneca 130M back in June to build production capability so that when the vaccines had been developed ther wouldn't be disruption and bottlenecks.
Both Pfizer and AZ are now saying they can't produce in volume reliably- It's not surprising that they are now asking where that money has gone.

It's not as big a thing over here as it is in the UK media. It's quite fortunte that this has all blown up just as Johnson needs a distraction from his Brexit disasters and the climbing death rate.

"All of the people some of the time".

Yes mate, absolutely well and truly spot on.

We should pin this post to the top of every page.

For the record I voted remain too and would do again but the EU can shove off this week.
I would be all for discussion and common sense, to see if alternative arrangements could be made. The whole world needs to come through this pandemic together. But the rhetoric and bully tactics that have come from the EU over the last few days are absolutely disgusting.

The EU are basically seeing if there is anything they could ever do to make vic stop his EU obsession.
This proves Vic can’t actually come to criticise them over anything.
It’s as excruciating to see as a Matt Hancock interview.
He’s like a parody of those that share his opinion.

I've had a couple of good ones.........your view on Renaults echoes mine on Fords - 3 in 30 odd years of driving - all 3 were lemons
I’ve had one Ford, and it was a fine. It’s often the luck of the draw.

Do you remember the old British Leyland advert with the sniffer robots?
We had a mini metro that constantly leaked, reckon the robot must have had a cold that day.

Vs other countries the UK contributed more than most though, including EU nations.

Are we talking about solely for research? As they all contributed up front for the whole lot (research, manufacture, supply) so it’s hard to say.

Aside from the US funding, it’s small fry compared to private investment though.

Vs other countries the UK contributed more than most though, including EU nations.
In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. Just about everyone gave funding to different people to find a vaccine it's just this one in the news right now.
It was something everyone said the world should avoid, all the leaders agreed it should be a world together on this one.
That soon went out of the window.

It really is Stamping of feet.

I can't see the Demands being made to the USA right now who also are getting the same vaccines the EU are short of wherever they are made.

I do the believe though the call would go something like this.

EU. We are short of some vaccines and we DEMAND some of yours that are being delivered as you have a few more than us.

USA. Fuck off

EU. OK

Are we talking about solely for research? As they all contributed up front for the whole lot (research, manufacture, supply) so it’s hard to say.

Aside from the US funding, it’s small fry compared to private investment though.
The article I quoted about was public and private and did state the latter of which you said, it also stated national funding wise, the UK was top in Europe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.