Defensive Midfield Targets/Options

Pep doesn't play with 'holding midfielders'. Far to negative.

Or DMs, however you want to dress it.

There is an interchangeable, fluid midfield. A pivot.

The whole team attacks and defends as one.

We are absolutely fine for midfielders

I think DM and CB will be the two positions we strengthen next summer - hopefully the only two that will need anyone signing for.

Another thread I called correctly from the start.

The thread starter wouldn't be happy. Tot me a right **** trying to derail his thread for having an opinion :) Too bad the opinion turned out to be on the money :)

Having a dominant DM would be great. But in this team he'd be a passenger unless he can ALSO do all the passing/movement/vision thing. I think someone like Weigl might be able to do all this, but there aren't many players who offer everything.

There is one player that is mobile, can tackle and has the aggression of the best destroyer DMs but also has the creativity of an attacking midfielder: Radja Nainggolan. But he is 29, wouldn't come cheap and it could be said that use as a pivot would be a waste of his talent.

Danilo Pereira

He´s a good player, but doesn´t look like a Pep´s player. I´m from Portugal and i saw a bunch of games. He´s strong, good tackler, not a bad passer, but lacks that eye for making passes to break the lines and most of his movement off the ball is defensively minded. He usually bullies midfielders in the Portuguese League and some midfielders in European competitions, but like Javi Garcia could struggle on the Premier League. Marcano from Porto wouldn´t be a bad signing for cover (CB), but i don´t think he would want that and Porto never sells cheap.

I get we need new fullbacks , I also understand we need another keeper and perhaps a new centre half

But...

The position we are crying out for is the defensive midfielder , pivot , anchor - call it what you want

Yaya can play it but isn't mobile enough anymore
Fernandinho can play it but has declined this season
Gundogan could step in but hasn't proved his fitness over a season as yet
Garcia doesn't look ready yet
Silva ? Would be a great playmaker from deep but not robust enough

Who are the alternatives in te transfer market, who could we get to step straight into the team to fill this crucial role?

Carvalho , is he mobile enough ? Is his passing good enough?
Fabinho , looks like a box to box midfielder to me , we need someone who will control the play from deep
Kroos , probably not obtainable and is he good enough defensively ?

We are looking for someone in the Busquets, Lahm or Alonso class here , I can't think of anyone we could realistically get ?
Totally agree. The most important position is it yet to be filled.
Though actually, I'm not sure a single DM works in the PL. That said having fullbacks that can come across and support the DM helps. KDB playing deeper has also helped but we still need a Lot better the we have.
Dax's shout for Marcos Llorent is a good one though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.