Premier League Games 30/31 March '24

Barmy. Clearly offside.

I thought offside..

Not that I like to defend VAR, but with the current offside rule, that is a very difficult determination to make given the defender made contact with the ball.

And it is just one of many subjective aspects to what is supposedly one of the few objective decisions that VAR can make.

Another example of how the current iteration of the offside rule is actually very subjective.

Not a criticism of the referee or VAR in this particular decision, just highlighting that it is not an “objective” review, as many continue argue.
Given the rules for deliberate play, that's a pretty tough decision. Looks to me like nearly all those criteria, suggest it should have been offside.

The following criteria should be used, as appropriate, as indicators that a player was in control of the ball and, as a result, ‘deliberately played’ the ball:
  • The ball travelled from distance and the player had a clear view of it
  • The ball was not moving quickly
  • The direction of the ball was not unexpected
  • The player had time to coordinate their body movement, i.e. it was not a case of instinctive stretching or jumping, or a movement that achieved limited contact/control
  • A ball moving on the ground is easier to play than a ball in the air

Given the rules for deliberate play, that's a pretty tough decision. Looks to me like nearly all those criteria, suggest it shouldn't have been offside.

The following criteria should be used, as appropriate, as indicators that a player was in control of the ball and, as a result, ‘deliberately played’ the ball:
  • The ball travelled from distance and the player had a clear view of it
  • The ball was not moving quickly
  • The direction of the ball was not unexpected
  • The player had time to coordinate their body movement, i.e. it was not a case of instinctive stretching or jumping, or a movement that achieved limited contact/control
  • A ball moving on the ground is easier to play than a ball in the air
I agree, and have said as much in a subsequent reply.

The point of my post was that many argue the current offside rule is one of the few objective decisions VAR can make, which is simply not the case, even ignoring this type of scenario.

Oof. That is almost a carbon copy of how I did my knee the first time (just with slightly more scissoring action). ACL and MCL done in the matter of a fraction of a second.

Good to see him up. Then again, I played about 10 more minutes after my injury thinking it was just a tweak at the time.

West Ham player touched it to him, deliberately playing the ball.

Gordon bought the penalty just stuck his leg between the ball and Coufal.

The defender deliberately played the ball
Not offside
Because Gordon, who was in an offside position, would have benefitted had it ran through. You’re right in that by the law it’s not offside, but an ounce of common sense tells you he ought to be. As I said, barmy.

He’ll come back on, do a couple minutes and make it worse and then come off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.