Premier League Games 30/31 March '24

I agree, and have said as much in a subsequent reply.

The point of my post was that many argue the current offside rule is one of the few objective decisions VAR can make, which is simply not the case, even ignoring this type of scenario.
I'd actually mistyped - I think it should have been offside :)

To be fair to the rule makers, even for a subjective rule, that's quite a detailed criteria.

Because Gordon, who was in an offside position, would have benefitted had it ran through. You’re right in that by the law it’s not offside, but an ounce of common sense tells you he ought to be. As I said, barmy.
I think the fact it looked as though the West Ham defender looked as though he was passing the ball could have factored into the decision.

Its an odd one though as Schär wasn’t trying to pass to Gordon, it was just a crap first touch.

I'd actually mistyped - I think it should have been offside :)

To be fair to the rule makers, even for a subjective rule, that's quite a detailed criteria.
I think either interpretation is acceptable, to be honest.

But VAR usually errs on the side of the on field decision, for better or worse.

The main takeaway should be that offside is not an objective decision, even in case where it is simply a matter of checking whether an attacking player was in an offside position when their teammate played the ball.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.