Raheem Sterling - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I've never doubted him. I thought Pellegrini did him no favours in his first season with us, we weren't playing to his strengths and by the end of it his confidence was severely dented. Last season was a big improvement without reaching his full potential. This season he has really showed why we bought him. He's now England's most in form player Kane aside. This won't stop him being shunted out of position to the left tomorrow or on the bench. For some reason successive England managers have failed to realise that he plays far better on the right hand side or have felt the need to accommodate others ahead of him. It's annoying as there has been no more productive player than him in his best position even when he was supposedly not in the best of form.

I think he is the type of player who needs to feel important and be backed to the hilt by his manager to get the best out of him. I think Pep has managed him superbly for the last year and a bit.

I heard Stuart Pearce bemoan his lack of end product on Talkshite this morning? Despite the fact He's scored 5 in 7 in the league this season! To think he was once our manager...

Last edited:
Personally I've never doubted him. I thought Pellegrini did him no favours in his first season with us, we weren't playing to his strengths and by the end of it his confidence was severely dented. Last season was a big improvement without reaching his full potential. This season he has really showed why we bought him. He's now England's most in form player Kane aside. This won't stop him being shunted out of position to the left tomorrow or on the bench. For some reason successive England managers have failed to realise that he plays far better on the right hand side or have felt the need to accommodate others ahead of him. It's annoying as there has been no more productive player than him in his best position even when he was supposedly not in the best of form.

I think he is the type of player who needs to feel important and be backed to the hilt by his manager to get the best out of him. I think Pep has managed him superbly for the last year and a bit.

I heard Stuart Pearce bemoan his lack of end product on Talkshite this morning? Despite the fact He's scored 5 in 7 in the league this season! To think he was once our manager...
So, what says ye now?

Sterling runs into more dead ends than a blind mouse. However, he does lose some of his effectiveness when he is not being fed by the world class talent around him at City. Tonight, they tried to play him in a withdrawn role behind Kane and dribbling into the channels, but he looked lost and then tried to overdo it half the time. Sometimes, I think even Messi would struggle in the England team....as he does sometimes with Argentina, because of the lack of cohesive talent around him.

So, what says ye now?

Sterling runs into more dead ends than a blind mouse. However, he does lose some of his effectiveness when he is not being fed by the world class talent around him at City. Tonight, they tried to play him in a withdrawn role behind Kane and dribbling into the channels, but he looked lost and then tried to overdo it half the time. Sometimes, I think even Messi would struggle in the England team....as he does sometimes with Argentina, because of the lack of cohesive talent around him.

Still created England's best chance before the goal, a chance he would've been crucified for messing up.

So, what says ye now?

Nothing that I saw last night changes my opinion of him. He's proving his worth for City. It's hardly a surprise he isn't as effective in the middle for England given the huge drop in quality of the players around him. Even so, he was still involved in England's best moments before he went off. He should be given an extended run on the right-hand side then it would be fair to judge his England performances. It staggers me that it was considered necessary to play both Dier and Henderson in the middle against Slovenia FFS... and don't get me started on "the Ox." What sort of message does that send out to aspiring England players that someone so desperately out of form can get in the side?

England were so mediocre last night, yet only Sterling was getting the boos. WTF is wrong with some people

In a team full of players with great vision and passing ability, you need people with good movement for them to pass it to. Very rarely do you get players who do both. That's why Milner was so effective for us, he just kept making runs and Dave and Nasri would keep finding him. Sterling does that job now and he does it better than anyone imo, a lot like what Pedro did for Peps Barca. Without the players to pass him the ball his runs go unnoticed, but without players making the runs the creators wouldn't have anyone to pass to either.

He may as well fuck off the England team as they'll never have the players or manager to get the best out of him and all he'll get is more unwarranted stick from the sheep who just regurgitate what the media tell them to think. Put one on a plate for Rashford and had pretty much a perfect finish stopped by one of the best defensive blocks I've ever seen, yet still got singled out for stick, while Rashford missed a sitter, had a few aimless shots from distance saved and gave the ball away for fun and gets praised to the high heavens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.