Ramadan

ono said:
Am i right in thnking Sharia Law actually just means Law Law?
Yep

NewbBlue said:
Lots of Muslim athletes do this. Intravenous fluids help.
Interesting. So as long as it doesn't go in their mouths they can stock up on what they need through drips?

Dubai Blue said:
NewbBlue said:
Lots of Muslim athletes do this. Intravenous fluids help.
Interesting. So as long as it doesn't go in their mouths they can stock up on what they need through drips?

As far as I know. Hakeem Olajuwon did if I recall, and he was very devout while scoring 30 points a game.

I remember the kippax said:
Dubai Blue said:
Ramadan's not a legal obligation, it's a personal choice. If they choose to do it, they will do it without any opt-outs, which I'm pretty sure is what Kolo did last year. Tough going in the long August days of England though.

It's not actually an opt out - it merely defers the days that they have to fast, and as for legal obligation - it is under Sharia law

Lucky for them they are living in a free country where it's an option not 'law' then.

lloydie said:
goose72 said:
Mind it'd cut down on Al Qaeda's activities if they relocated there...

What a stupid remark!

It is isn't it. The idea that an entire underground organisation could somehow be relocated from unknown locations to somewhere with no sunset, thus through enforced starvation becoming inefficient as a terrorist organisation is extremely stupid. Ridiculous in fact. Well done, you've identified the source of the humour in the statement.

Take it you weren't amused from the tone of your response though? Oh well, horses for courses. I'll live with that.

kenkladze said:
Dubai Blue said:
It changes each year as it moves nearer to the middle of the year.

Was around 6.10pm in my first year here in 2006, but sunset isn't until about 7.20 at the moment which is a bit annoying ;-)

Will get earlier as the month moves on though

-- Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:00 pm --

TBH, I'm not that clued up on it, which is why I asked in the first place. I know a footballer could opt to fast in the close season instead, but I understand that Kolo didn't do that last year (if it's him I'm thinking of).

And while I know it's pedantic, it's Sharia, not Sharia law.

Spot the difference !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 LOL
One translates as "Law", the other translates as "Law Law".

OK Mr. Silly Bear?

Garry.Cook said:
Put simply, i'm sure that if a religious commitment affected a players professional performance then the club would intervene. I don't know the legal technicalities on a matter such as this but I can't see City getting screwed over by ramadan, especially since the no-nonsense approach since the takeover.

Wrong, even more wrong @ "City getting screwed over by ramadan" since the owners themselves are proud muslims so they too fast. Religion supercedes any contract of employment and these are issues discussed before a player signs. There are many, many muslim athletes and most fast or have fasted.

Zidane.
Kanoute.
Benzema.
Toure brothers.
Diarras.

To name a few probably about 70% of French league players. There are many misconceptions about fasting it is not as if they do not eat, you wake up early say your prayers, eat before the sun is up and go back to sleep. Wake up, go about your day then when the sun sets you can eat and drink again. Its not like they will be starving. And it is also incorrect to say they can take nutrients via drip or any other method. This is not allowed.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/596/exc...-i-can-keep-fasting-in-ramadan-even-when-i-am

“There are many Muslim footballers who people just do not know about in England in Spain, France and in many other leagues too. But having faith and practicing Ramadan is not something they wish to tell the world about.

“Personally, having faith helps my football and football helps me to be healthy and strengthens me. There is no conflict because people who know about Islam, they know that fasting empowers and does not weaken the Muslim.”

While Barcelona's fans are wondering if the likes of Eric Abidal, Seydou Keita and Yaya Toure - all Muslims - will be fasting, Real Madrid fans know of the importance their Muslim players - especially Mahamadou Diarra - place in their religion and his traditions."

Mahamadou Diarra

“Every coach has respected my decision,” says Diarra on his Real Madrid profile page.

Lets try and keep assumptions and silly remarks "Mr Terrorist joke" out of this and respect others religions and beliefs, simple understanding can help that.

goose72 said:
lloydie said:
What a stupid remark!

It is isn't it. The idea that an entire underground organisation could somehow be relocated from unknown locations to somewhere with no sunset, thus through enforced starvation becoming inefficient as a terrorist organisation is extremely stupid. Ridiculous in fact. Well done, you've identified the source of the humour in the statement.

Take it you weren't amused from the tone of your response though? Oh well, horses for courses. I'll live with that.

What do you expect from someone who has so much free time that he makes over 1100 inane posts in a few months. Lloydie, Just need to ignore people like this, you wouldn't engage with him in your normal life so why on blue moon?

eagle said:
goose72 said:

What do you expect from someone who has so much free time that he makes over 1100 inane posts in a few months. Lloydie, Just need to ignore people like this, you wouldn't engage with him in your normal life so why on blue moon?
What's with the faux outrage at goose's comments? Is it because you don't understand what he meant?

There's absolutely nothing even remotely offensive in what he said. It was a lighthearted joke taking the piss out of no one other than terrorist scumbags. Or is that no longer allowed?

Indigenous said:
Firstly, Sharia or Sharia law is not the official law system of any country in the world.

Abu Dhabi has Sharia courts for Muslims.
Pretty sure Saudi Arabia works under Sharia.

I don't know much about it, but those two immediately jumped to mind. I would imagine that quite a few African states would have implemented Sharia in some way, shape or form

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.