Rate this season

I'd say 7 is a pretty fair score. We played some entertaining football, broke several club and league records and honestly, looked the better of every other team in the league. But for dodgy refs and a lack of ruthlessness in front of goal, we'd have finished with much more to show for it.

Nonetheless, we did it all with washedups like Gael Clichy at the back and while trying to adapt to Pep's style. We finished strong, unlike under Pellers, and we have so much to hope for next season. It wasn't perfect, but I'm happy.

4 -no title challenge, no trophies and poor CL performance, a few wins at the end of the season and shit sides doesn't change much. As Pep said he would have been sacked at barce or bayern, big improvements needed.

How many of the matches have yer watched, Bill, where yer kept yer eyes closed for 89 mins? I never thought for a moment we would walk away with a trophy. Too many variables at play and we probably had control of about two or three of them. We play an artistic brand of football. It is fantastic to watch, although not very realistic in the hunt for trophies, but trophies should not be the sole criterion of judging a season. I would have liked to have brought home a pot, but, remember, MCWFC won the lot! If 2016/17 was a poor season then words do not exist in the English language to describe some of the seasons I've suffered over the years.
I'm a part timer these days mate. Missed at least 4,could even be 6 games. I still think I deserve a say.

A shoddy period was bookended by 10 straight wins at the start and 2 defeats in 24 games at the end.

We clearly have a style, we clearly lacked at full back and we clearly suffered from some rum decisions. No cups, last 16 of champs league (when 5-3 up) but i dont think 3rd was too bad. Some exciting players and some clearly ready to leave.

Various performances can be evidenced to show both our exciting possibilities and horrible frailties, the latter of which must (and will!) diminish next season.

Probably the biggest failure of the season was the fans did not galvanize behind the club's biggest management signing ever, due to the above point.

Start with 10, thought we'd get about 85 points so one off, c/l semi so 1 off, 1 cup, so 3 off and a 7 for me.

Not one for ratings tbh. In the end the table is what it is. Chelsea and Spurs have been the better team overall, not always when they played us. 3rd place is the correct final position for us.
A lot of what if's this season: What if Gundogan and Kompany had been playing the complete season? Especially the latter lifted our defence considderably. What if the refs done their job in the big games? What if Gabriel Jesus had been playing for us from the day we signed him?
I like to believe we improved lately but we are far from the finished article (under Pep it'll never be finished). Main positions to fill in are both right and left back.

League: Good start and good finish. Some really poor results that still makes me wonder, and quite a bit of bad luck in between. Easily finished above the filth.
Champions League: Poor, the hometies vs Barcelona and Monaco probably the exception. Not a single away win.
League cup: Cut short due to more important matters.
FA Cup: Strong run up until semi, and unlucky to have lost out on the final with (again) some dodgy refereeing.

I hope and expect Pep and his team to have learned a lot this year. With the correct additions we will be much stronger next year, but I expect other teams to strengthen as well.
And we should be close to bring in some academyplayers that becomes regular starters.

In all, another season with the usual high and lows. It's not been the bright start of the new area that most of us expected, but I think there is every reason to be positive as the club is in a very healthy state.

5. Poor at best.we got the bare minimum. You'd have to expect more from this squad with this manager. With our money and 2 transfer windows we should not be scrapping for 4th on the last game of the season. We tossed away 2 trophies along the way. The referees have a lot to answer for but I can't see that changing,what I do expect is pep now knows the score and will play our strongest 11 to combat the cheating.
The dead wood have gone so the hard work upgrading starts now,which a 3rd place finish will help.

First job a new keeper.

We were scrapping for 3rd on the last day of the season,

I would say we had the 3rd best squad in the league this season (in terms of availability and balance), so finishing 3rd was about right.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.