Red Hot Chilli Peppers

If you don't like an artist or can't interpret meaning from their lyrics no need to start a thread slating them. They might not be in the top category of bands who made an impact but they aren't too far behind. As a band, they are right up there however for inspiring other's to pick up instruments and not just learning to a basic standard - there won't be many bands above them for that. Their concoction of influences has yielded music that is of a different variety to that around it, and that itself should always be a welcome addition to mainstream music whether you personally enjoy listening or not.

If you don't like an artist or can't interpret meaning from their lyrics no need to start a thread slating them. They might not be in the top category of bands who made an impact but they aren't too far behind. As a band, they are right up there however for inspiring other's to pick up instruments and not just learning to a basic standard - there won't be many bands above them for that. Their concoction of influences has yielded music that is of a different variety to that around it, and that itself should always be a welcome addition to mainstream music whether you personally enjoy listening or not.

If that were the case then every thread made ever would be based on everyone agreeing with the subject at hand?

Like I've said before, other than Under The Bridge every other song is either dreadful or subpar... instrumentally they're clearly talented but string a few meaningless words together doesn't constitute as music, reason why I think the Beatles were massively over hyped to fuck, but at least they showed they do have a lot of talent as artists.

Another example is that Stone Roses tune that came out last year "all for one" my mate sent me a message buzzing from it, and I told him the lyrics mean fuck all and that it was just lazy writing..

Class if you ask me. So what half of it doesn't "make sense" it's about having fun. Most artists have written some tripe that doesn't make sense, only for apologists to read too deeply into it trying to justify it.

If that were the case then every thread made ever would be based on everyone agreeing with the subject at hand?

Like I've said before, other than Under The Bridge every other song is either dreadful or subpar... instrumentally they're clearly talented but string a few meaningless words together doesn't constitute as music, reason why I think the Beatles were massively over hyped to fuck, but at least they showed they do have a lot of talent as artists.

Another example is that Stone Roses tune that came out last year "all for one" my mate sent me a message buzzing from it, and I told him the lyrics mean fuck all and that it was just lazy writing..
I just meant specifically with music. There is always music released that someone won't like. It just seems a wasted subject unless you are seeking to actually understand where they're coming from and see different perspectives that might change you're opinion on them. Maybe that's what this thread is but I didn't get that from the OP.

Many lyrics we might not understand come from regional slang, slang for drugs, metaphors or similes we haven't understood or whatever other devices that've been used. I generally agree with heavily disliking lazy songwriting with meaningless lyrics that they've put together to simply rhyme, fit the melody and include something their audience will recognise (Little Mix or many other Pop artists a good example) as naturally there tends to be no emotion (or purpose) behind it which is what good music always has for me - it's a vehicle for emotion or wanting to say/explore something.

If RHCP were starting out as a band now (with Hillel Slovak) would they enjoy the success they've had? I'd be very confident in saying no as they were very raw when they started out and are a prime example of a band being given time to develop which is overlooked a lot now as record companies find it easy to cash in on those meaningless pop songs that I mentioned.

Sometimes writing a song that is saying the same things as many other songs (e.g. a love song) is worthwhile when it's merely said in a different way, that adds value as it's different and we want variety to keep our interests peaked. Maybe read into what the lyricist isn't saying but is insinuating or skirting. There's so many ways to approach songwriting and the beauty of it is people can find their own meanings in things. Sometimes a point of a song isn't to have a deep meaning or something important to say but just to have fun and express that kind of emotion - e.g. something to dance to.

Give it Away, Suck My Kiss, Snow ((Hey Oh)), Dani California, Can't Stop, By the Way, Scar Tissue, Monarchy of Roses.

That is a small selection of their well-known songs that are not sub-par and generally offer different value - variety at a good standard makes them a good band. I suspect many aren't keen on Anthony's vocals but his style is what makes RHCP work together as music and give them their place within the industry.

I just meant specifically with music. There is always music released that someone won't like. It just seems a wasted subject unless you are seeking to actually understand where they're coming from and see different perspectives that might change you're opinion on them. Maybe that's what this thread is but I didn't get that from the OP.

Many lyrics we might not understand come from regional slang, slang for drugs, metaphors or similes we haven't understood or whatever other devices that've been used. I generally agree with heavily disliking lazy songwriting with meaningless lyrics that they've put together to simply rhyme, fit the melody and include something their audience will recognise (Little Mix or many other Pop artists a good example) as naturally there tends to be no emotion (or purpose) behind it which is what good music always has for me - it's a vehicle for emotion or wanting to say/explore something.

If RHCP were starting out as a band now (with Hillel Slovak) would they enjoy the success they've had? I'd be very confident in saying no as they were very raw when they started out and are a prime example of a band being given time to develop which is overlooked a lot now as record companies find it easy to cash in on those meaningless pop songs that I mentioned.

Sometimes writing a song that is saying the same things as many other songs (e.g. a love song) is worthwhile when it's merely said in a different way, that adds value as it's different and we want variety to keep our interests peaked. Maybe read into what the lyricist isn't saying but is insinuating or skirting. There's so many ways to approach songwriting and the beauty of it is people can find their own meanings in things. Sometimes a point of a song isn't to have a deep meaning or something important to say but just to have fun and express that kind of emotion - e.g. something to dance to.

Give it Away, Suck My Kiss, Snow ((Hey Oh)), Dani California, Can't Stop, By the Way, Scar Tissue, Monarchy of Roses.

That is a small selection of their well-known songs that are not sub-par and generally offer different value - variety at a good standard makes them a good band. I suspect many aren't keen on Anthony's vocals but his style is what makes RHCP work together as music and give them their place within the industry.

Something like

Can I get your hand to write on
Just a piece of leg to bite on
What a night to fly my kite on
Do you want to flash your light on

Each phrase although has meaning, in a complete sentence it's just not constructive at all...

It's like me saying

Have you got a piece of paper
Let's buy some banana vapor
I need to buy a stapler
Have you seen a pasta straightener

Something like

Can I get your hand to write on
Just a piece of leg to bite on
What a night to fly my kite on
Do you want to flash your light on

Each phrase although has meaning, in a complete sentence it's just not constructive at all...

It's like me saying

Have you got a piece of paper
Let's buy some banana vapor
I need to buy a stapler
Have you seen a pasta straightener
I think you are on to something there....

I don't know the way see it is some of his songs are just fun songs with words that rhyme and I think most artists wing it with some of their songs that people find deeper meaning to(pick the best interpretation and appear really smart).

Clearly he wont be sat writing songs for so long that don't mean anything to him all the time though especially as he matured, he'll have plenty that do and maybe he does use slang that most people wont know to add to the "coolness" of it, some people buy into that and some just find it annoying. Cabron as an example I knew when I first heard it that it was something a Spanish person says when he's angry like asshole or motherfucker etc which doesn't quite fit the tone of the song which could be him just having some fun but American gang culture fits very well with quite a few versus(references to me and my crew, dodger blue = gang colours, the crips) since hearing that interpretation it's hard not to see it that way.

Last edited:
Good band but a workmate once try to describe the band and I corrected him, then he agreed.

"They are a band that folk with no musical taste cling to thinking they are a cool great band, the just want to look cool through association."

I really like the band though, even the funk of bloodsexmagic never caught on with me, their early music is very good. Inbetween their direction was a sort of pop/rock which fell flat. they returned to greatness with Californication which I highly rate. cool band ,cool guys.

Live , I didn t enjoy the gig one bit...... The Pixies who supported them blew the Stage -right speaker system so the sound was ruined with a large thud/fuzz and I just walked far away. I am sure they can put on a good show and the Slane DVD is excellent.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.