Red wine...

pauldominic said:
Sue Denim said:
I once got pilloried on here for daring to suggest that the lightest of red wines could be chilled. Glad you beg to differ, pauldominic :-)

Absolutely.

In fact I go slightly further and say that the ideal serving temperature for most reds is between 15-20 C so when they say "serve at room temperature", that's probably a bit too warm since room temperature is classically about 22C.

nothing wrong with slightly chilling a light red. it's also true that modern centrally heated homes, restaurants, etc have a higher temperature than in the past. when the term 'room temperature' is used it originally meant the ambient temperature of a high ceilinged house in paris in the 19th century.

ps paul dominic - are you by any chance the owner of the wine chain peter dominic? ;)

rassclot said:
pauldominic said:
Absolutely.

In fact I go slightly further and say that the ideal serving temperature for most reds is between 15-20 C so when they say "serve at room temperature", that's probably a bit too warm since room temperature is classically about 22C.

nothing wrong with slightly chilling a light red. it's also true that modern centrally heated homes, restaurants, etc have a higher temperature than in the past. when the term 'room temperature' is used it originally meant the ambient temperature of a high ceilinged house in paris in the 19th century.

ps paul dominic - are you by any chance the owner of the wine chain peter dominic? ;)

No!!!

Just a reasonably well educated lad who grew up in Kirkham and Wilmslow.

The best thing with standard reds is to keep them away from heat sources and light because if they get up to room temperature, it ruins them.

Brand new Beaujolais is an absolute pleasure to drink slightly chilled.<br /><br />-- Mon May 02, 2011 6:38 pm --<br /><br />
mancitymick said:
Wolf Blass yellow label. £5 a bottle in TESCO's at the mo

Bargain!!!!!

pauldominic said:
rassclot said:

No!!!

The best thing with standard reds is to keep them away from heat sources and light because if they get up to room temperature, it ruins them.

Brand new Beaujolais is an absolute pleasure to drink slightly chilled.

-- Mon May 02, 2011 6:38 pm --

mancitymick said:
Wolf Blass yellow label. £5 a bottle in TESCO's at the mo

Bargain!!!!!

Bargain in rip off Britain yes,otherwise the right price.

If i'm flush and feel like a treat, I buy a Barolo to go with my steak. Never had anything that beats that, but at £17 a bottle its a 2-times-a-year thing if that. We drink alot of wine so its usually Rioja that gets picked out of the 'normal' priced wines.

Can't get into Rose at all, it's just so wrong.

Pigeonho said:
If i'm flush and feel like a treat, I buy a Barolo to go with my steak. Never had anything that beats that, but at £17 a bottle its a 2-times-a-year thing if that. We drink alot of wine so its usually Rioja that gets picked out of the 'normal' priced wines.

Barolo is good stuff, if you like this spend about the same amount on a good Argentinian Malbec next time such as a Catena (?) it's great with Steak...depending on the bottle it's £15 to £25

There's a light Italian red called Bardolino that you can have chilled, so great for a BBQ, tackle this if you don't like Rose.

joe mancini said:
pauldominic said:
No!!!

Brand new Beaujolais is an absolute pleasure to drink slightly chilled.

-- Mon May 02, 2011 6:38 pm --

Bargain!!!!!

Bargain in rip off Britain yes,otherwise the right price.

Very fair point.

-- Tue May 03, 2011 2:50 pm --

OxBlue said:
Pigeonho said:

Barolo is good stuff, if you like this spend about the same amount on a good Argentinian Malbec next time such as a Catena (?) it's great with Steak...depending on the bottle it's £15 to £25

There's a light Italian red called Bardolino that you can have chilled, so great for a BBQ, tackle this if you don't like Rose.

If anyone has a Booths in their area, you can buy cracking good reds at relatively affordable prices.

E.g. a 1984 St emilion cost me £13 in 1998.

-- Tue May 03, 2011 2:54 pm --

OxBlue said:
Danamy said:
If you want something easy drinking and light you can't beat:

Ernest & Julio Gallo White Zinfandel Rosé

Worth a go if you've never tried it and looking for a really light and fruity wine

remind me not to drink wine with you mate (;-)

if it's light and fruity, go by grape either Pinot Noir or Gamay...

Best place to start is something from Burgundy..

Oooh I once tried a bottle of white zinfandel and I was nearly physically sick.<br /><br />-- Tue May 03, 2011 2:57 pm --<br /><br />
dell74 said:
manchester blue said:
Rubbish.

Californian all the way if that's what you want. Echo Falls or Blossom Hill Soft and Fruity should fit the bill. About a fiver a bottle.
They're the two wines that I would'nt put on chips let alone into a glass.

I was thinking that.

They might be ok for cleaning toilets but nothing else.

They'd also be very expensive toilet cleaner.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.