Referees/Officials

Don't think he was biased as he could easily have given them a pen (although it wasn't one) at the end of the 1st half, but he was totally incompetent.

Can't argue with this. A poor performance by the ref. But to accuse him of intentionally cheating is stretching matters IMO.

If he were trying to cheat, he'd have blown hand ball on Aguero (assuming once more that he even saw the play).

It's how you define 'intentionally' cheating.

He favoured Barca in most things during most of the game. Just because he didn't give them every single decision, doesn't mean he wasn't biased.

He gave them a huge lift at the start of the game, by not booking their players & booking Sterling for being fouled in he penalty area. If that & keeping busquets on the pitch, & giving them almost every 50/50 decision, isn't enough to give them a victory, I'm not sure they can rightly expect him to also disallow goals & give them pens on top of it.

Don't think he was biased as he could easily have given them a pen (although it wasn't one) at the end of the 1st half, but he was totally incompetent.
+1

On the night yes, incompetent. But, he was, after all selected to referee in a hugely important UCL match - so I put it down to a hugely bad night.

Cheater, no.

Biased no.

Totally incompetent - presumably not.

Bad night - absolutely so.

It's how you define 'intentionally' cheating.

He favoured Barca in most things during most of the game. Just because he didn't give them every single decision, doesn't mean he wasn't biased.

He gave them a huge lift at the start of the game, by not booking their players & booking Sterling for being fouled in he penalty area. If that & keeping busquets on the pitch, & giving them almost every 50/50 decision, isn't enough to give them a victory, I'm not sure they can rightly expect him to also disallow goals & give them pens on top of it.
Agreed with all of this.

But was this intentional? - which goes to bias.

I don't think so - because he could well have called a lot of other things in Barca's favor which he did not.

To assume he was biased in favor of Barca and that he called the match on that basis assumes that the UCL is subject to cheating at the level of referring.

I don't think at all that this is so.

If I'm wrong... God help the game.

+1

On the night yes, incompetent. But, he was, after all selected to referee in a hugely important UCL match - so I put it down to a hugely bad night.

Cheater, no.

Biased no.

Sadly his second "bad night" when reffing us in CL. Bayern 2011.

Just watched the match on the telly,, 4 -5 "mysterious" decisions.

the Sterling pen was pretty obvious,

Silva was hacked down towards the end of the first half, no decision?

bad night for the ref.

+1

Cheater, no.

Biased no.

Dress it up however you want,but to book Sterling for "diving" when everbody knew it was a penalty,and not to book Digne,at least once,in the opening exchanges of the match,(both warranted yellows)we knew it was gonna be one of those nights,and it was,an incompetent,and unfair referee to Manchester City,thankfully our football won the match,v Barca and him,the Hungarian twat

The shirt pull by Digne on Sterling set the tone. This is an automatic yellow card - every ref knows it and he had hold of it for about 3 seconds, it was like one of those training exercises when they try running dragging weights behind him!
And I'm sick of commentators saying stuff like, 'he let it go because its early in the match' - so bloody what, an offence is an offence no matter what minute and if anything clamping down on it then might have sent a message that he won't stand for any nonsense.

Agreed with all of this.

But was this intentional? - which goes to bias.

I don't think so - because he could well have called a lot of other things in Barca's favor which he did not.

To assume he was biased in favor of Barca and that he called the match on that basis assumes that the UCL is subject to cheating at the level of referring.

I don't think at all that this is so.

If I'm wrong... God help the game.

Have to disagree with most of this.

There were enough justified opportunities for cards for the Barca players which simply did not happen - that is beyond incompetence, and is a result of downright corruption.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.