Resting players against the rags

The vast majority of us want the strongest team played. Firstly cos, you know, winning it vs the rags is a one-off opportunity. Secondly, after last night, the players surely need a lift and a poor result Saturday is hardly going to provide that....

But. But but but. How many of us are actually confident that Pep is going to play the strongest possible team on Sat? I've got a horrible feeling he's going to put out a Premier League / League Cup hybrid team and it won't be strong enough.
Please. Please please please. Pep, play the best side we have available.

Don’t make what could be an incredible season just a good one due to such an anticlimax against our two biggest rivals!

My My, how times and expectations have changed! now, all of a sudden, winning a league and cup double is ''just'' a very good season! 10 years ago we would have given our right arm for a season like that and i suspect right now most Liverpool fans would too. I think we need a bit of perspective here chaps!
It isn’t ten years ago though.

Our SeasonCards are twice as expensive now, dozens of our mates were priced out or moved from their seats and never renewed... that makes us all more demanding. Plus we’ve set a marker down at times this season and for Pep and the team to take backwards steps won’t just mean a small anti-climax for this season but it shows signs of weakness, not putting our foot on anyone’s necks and keeping them below us would be a mistake.

Arsenal went unbeaten in 2004 for 49 games and won the league. They also lost to Boro in the League Cup semis, to United in the FA Cup semi and to Chelsea in the Champions League quarters and lost what would have been their 50th unbeaten game to United at Old Trafford and then Chelsea won the league in better style than Arsenal did. Arsenal haven’t challenged for the title since because everyone saw weaknesses and nobody has taken them seriously since.

They had a chance to become a dynasty back then but all they won was the league in 2002 and 2004 and the FA Cup in 2005, with that fantastic team, that was it!

Yes winning the Premier League and League Cup double is fantastic. But you should never ever settle for fantastic because things do not last forever and signs of weakness means they last less long.

think it will be different now having looked poor against scousers.. Looks like even our best team needs to get back in to sorts, winning is a good habit to get into, to get beat by rags will then have a bad knock on effect for having a chance of pulling anything back vs Liverpool. We have to get back in to our strong team feeling confident again.

Pep knows a win Vs rags will lift spirits

I would go a mixture, I don't believe a full strength side is needed to beat United. And I feel the 2nd leg will require so much energy to qualify, City are going to need to go at Liverpool from the very first minute with high tempo and energy, getting early goals will be key.

My two teams would be...

UNITED:
Ederson
Danilo
Ota
Kompany
Zinchenko
Gundogun
Kevin
Silva
Sane
Bernardo
Jesus

LIVERPOOL:
Ederson
Walker
Laporte
Ota
Delph
Fern
Silva
Kevin
sane
Sterling
Aguero

I get what you say but it will be a bit of an anti climax somehow don't you think?

Don't get me wrong, i'm just as gutted as the rest of us about last nights performance (i've been miserable as sin all day!) and to not beat them on Saturday is just going to compound the agony a bit longer but.......... baring a devon loch style collapse we will still win the league and cup double this year and i for one will refuse to call that an anti-climax! forgive me Father :)

I would go a mixture, I don't believe a full strength side is needed to beat United. And I feel the 2nd leg will require so much energy to qualify, City are going to need to go at Liverpool from the very first minute with high tempo and energy, getting early goals will be key.

My two teams would be...

UNITED:
Ederson
Danilo
Ota
Kompany
Zinchenko
Gundogun
Kevin
Silva
Sane
Bernardo
Jesus

LIVERPOOL:
Ederson
Walker
Laporte
Ota
Delph
Fern
Silva
Kevin
sane
Sterling
Aguero

After yesterday I don't want Gundogan to start in an important match like this again.

These are the only 2 real games we are left with right now. I was of the opinion to play a weakend side before the first leg but its important we redeem ourselves against united and if that means playing the best possible side so be it. If we do win emphatically our players would have the confidence to pull of the massive task awaiting them on Tuesday.

I'd go for. Against United:

Ederson
Danilo Stones Laporte Zinchenko
Fern
De Bruyne Gundo
Bernardo Aguero Sterling

Liverpool:

Ederson
Walker Stones Otamendi Delph
Ferna
De Bruyne Silva
Sterling Aguero Sane

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.