RIP DJ Stu Allan, Manchester house and hip hop legend

Legendary DJ, the man who in the mid to late 80s introduced the emerging sounds of house and hip hop to northern England via his shows on Piccadilly Radio 261 and Key 103
An absolutely iconic national tastemaker whose influence has been tragically downplayed. Stu Allan was playing house on our local radio while middle class London pretenders like Pete Tong, Andy Weatherall, Danny Rampling and the Boys Own mob were dressing like Tetley Tea Men and listening to Acid Jazz
In later years he chased the money and became a purveyor of the God awful squeaky voice rave nonsense of Happy Hardcore, but still sold out huge raves filled with small town chavs. Still bringing the kids legendary nights they would never forget despite my admittedly snobby misgivings at the terrible music of choice
That was just a job of work though and shouldn’t define his legacy. A true Manchester icon and legend. Without Stu there would be no market for the music that made the Hacienda iconic. There would have been no ‘Madchester’
RIP Stu and keep on keeping on

View attachment 56402
Great summary. Getting into the rave scene from the summer of 1990 onwards, I wasn’t aware of his earlier exploits or that he was ahead of the likes of Pete Tong with regards to giving house music a platform. Indeed, when watching a BBC4 programme a while back about house and rave music, one of the Chicago house geezers credited Tong for helping spread the word. Maybe that was because Tong was on national radio, whereas Stu was on local radio and a lot of his efforts went under the radar?

Back to the rave scene, 1989-1992 was the golden era for me and Stu was right at the forefront of it. His Sunday night mixes were legendary and I think a mate of mine still has the tape from the summer of 1990 the week Together’s Hardcore Uproar was Stu’s record of the week. Some of the lads I used to go to raves with literally saw him as a God. I lost track of what he did later but I can’t help thinking that he missed a bit of a trick and today’s generation would lap up a set of banging old school rave tunes every bit as much as that Happy Hardcore shite!

Great summary. Getting into the rave scene from the summer of 1990 onwards, I wasn’t aware of his earlier exploits or that he was ahead of the likes of Pete Tong with regards to giving house music a platform. Indeed, when watching a BBC4 programme a while back about house and rave music, one of the Chicago house geezers credited Tong for helping spread the word. Maybe that was because Tong was on national radio, whereas Stu was on local radio and a lot of his efforts went under the radar?

Back to the rave scene, 1989-1992 was the golden era for me and Stu was right at the forefront of it. His Sunday night mixes were legendary and I think a mate of mine still has the tape from the summer of 1990 the week Together’s Hardcore Uproar was Stu’s record of the week. Some of the lads I used to go to raves with literally saw him as a God. I lost track of what he did later but I can’t help thinking that he missed a bit of a trick and today’s generation would lap up a set of banging old school rave tunes every bit as much as that Happy Hardcore shite!
Stu would do and always did, play what ever you asked him to play.
Now I would not go as far as saying I was his mate, but I booked him for lots of events down the years and played on the same line up as him at a few more.
It was his job at the end of the day and he would play whatever the promoter asked for, or what he thought the crowd wanted.
Seen a few people on this thread saying he sold out. Now I will clarify something here. He was nowhere near as expensive to book as people who could not hold a candle to him. To put it into context, I know people who once got on stage with Altern 8 or ones who opened a filter on a Bizarre Inc record, who tried to charge double what Stu Allan charged.
Difference was, Stu would guarantee that you got a decent crowd at your gig.
He was not one for fancy mixes, accapellas or scratching. He just played bangers and everyone loved it. He never missed a beat either.
It shows the mark of the man when the likes of Carl Cox says exactly the same about him as kids from Newton Heath, he was just a thoroughly nice fella.
He will be sadly missed. I am proud to say I played alongside him and had a few chats about tunes and events down the years with him.

Now I would not go as far as saying I was his mate, but I booked him for lots of events down the years and played on the same line up as him at a few more.
It was his job at the end of the day and he would play whatever the promoter asked for, or what he thought the crowd wanted.
Seen a few people on this thread saying he sold out. Now I will clarify something here. He was nowhere near as expensive to book as people who could not hold a candle to him. To put it into context, I know people who once got on stage with Altern 8 or ones who opened a filter on a Bizarre Inc record, who tried to charge double what Stu Allan charged.
He was not one for fancy mixes, accapellas or scratching. He just played bangers and everyone loved it. He never missed a beat either.
It shows the mark of the man when the likes of Carl Cox says exactly the same about him as kids from Newton Heath, he was just a thoroughly nice fella.
He will be sadly missed. I am proud to say I played alongside him and had a few chats about tunes and events down the years with him.

Top post I’m buzzing off it mate.

If you ever get hold of that tape I’m sure loads of us would crawl over broken glass to get a listen mate.

Jesus where to begin.

He was possibly the greatest influence on my life outside of my own family. For decades a presence in my life - and many others in the Manchester area - and so much a part of it. Until 87 I’d been a fan of rock music, then it all changed after hearing his shows.

I first heard him on some ridiculous 1am - 4am slot on Piccadilly/Key 103 and he was playing at the Millionaire’s Club in town then - and met him in Spin Inn.
Of course he then get his famous Sunday show Bus Dis hip hop, Souled Out for soul, and then the Garage & House Hour. Oh yes. My favourite ever recordings and I would suggest his crowning glory were his best of one hour mega mixes, from 1989 to 1992, though he did one in 93 too (In fact I’ve got the 89 mix but I’ve not seen it online so I might upload it).

I remember him playing at all sorts of places; Key 103 mad night out at Libertys Washway Road in Sale. Bloody crazy for a Tuesday night, fucking nuts. Also Kinetic in Stoke at Longton LeisureBowl, Life at Bowlers, Quest in Wolves and loads of other places. I even saw him in Chester once.

His radio shows continued; Don’t Touch that Dial - at his peak Key 103 had him on 4 of 5 nights a week (David Dunne Isometric Dance Class was the other night I think - it was ok, but it wasn’t Stu).
We then had the Saturday Night Mastermix 8-12 Saturday which was always funny cos he’d be advertising his gigs but also on air (tape) at the same time.

After the peak years I think he went down to broadcast for a station out of Reading run by Tim Grundy, before resurfacing on an online station, which I discovered as a radio channel via Sky tv of all places, Hardcore Nation. Of course the gigs continued.
In later years he’d established his own station OSN (old skool nation radio) with a Friday night show which was fabulous. He also went back to his first love, early 80s electro, which he played monthly. Fortunately all his OSN shows are out there as a legacy, and hopefully will long stay there.

He had an odd relationship with “mainstream dance” music which I felt was unduly snobby toward him - he once said he’d never played at Cream cos they wouldn’t book him cos they “thought he was a hardcore DJ”. Funnily enough I did see him many times in Liverpool though, but at the 051 club.
He once got on to the Essential Selection however - but not under his own name - it was classed a Media Records mix in 93, and he was given 30 mins under the name Clock. It’s still out there and great Italo tunes.

Like others, I can remember writing in for his mix lists before taking them down to Eastern and Spin Inn and trying to appear ‘in the know’ ;-) And the excitement of getting a name check when you wrote in, or winning an album on air as I did once.

In terms of issuing his own tunes Clock with Peter Pritchard was his most commercially successful brand, but I remember earlier tunes under the names Visa and Catch before that.

I can’t agree with the OPs negative comments about the path his career took. His did play hardcore in his later years - since mid 90s actually - but he did it because he wanted to, and liked the music, - as did I - and he still took bookings for both house sets and hardcore sets. Some of the hard stuff was just as good and exciting, just different, and he would still exercise the same quality control over the tunes - he could still pick out the gems.

It was his tune selection rather than his mixing skills which made him special. That, and he could master so many genres, as shown by his wonderful, generous lockdown shows where he kept us all in great spirits when we were stuck at home, be it trance, italo, garage, hip hop, hardcore.

Oh, and the fact that he was a genuinely really nice bloke.

I’m heartbroken we have lost him, and have lost a massive part of my life. No one will ever come close.
RIP and love to you up there Stu, x

Fucking outstanding post.

It’s mad how music can give a person so much.

Nightmare Walking, what a classic tune that was.

Well said about Stu. He was one of very few if not the only one, who when the scene split in about 93/4 kept getting and taking bookings for hard gigs and house sets, sometimes on the same night - and had a lot of credibility in both.
It was great in the last few years to hear him playing those early 80s electro tunes that he loved. I spoke to him in person a small number of times over the years, but not as often as you probably did mate. Great post.

Nightmare Walking, what a classic tune that was.

Well said about Stu. He was one of very few if not the only one, who when the scene split in about 93/4 kept getting and taking bookings for hard gigs and house sets, sometimes on the same night - and had a lot of credibility in both.
It was great in the last few years to hear him playing those early 80s electro tunes that he loved. I spoke to him in person a small number of times over the years, but not as often as you probably did mate. Great post.
He talked to everyone mate, that was the measure of the man. He was cool as a cucumber.
I remember putting on a night at Montys in Oldham, 20 years ago. We had him and Welly on. Now my mate is a big lad and was absolutely smashed. He badgered him all night, getting him to say "Yes Indeedy" He did not get pissed off or flustered, he just found it funny and kept doing it.
Everyone is the place was absolutely buzzing and he was treated like royalty, by a load of scallies, absolutely off their tits.
He was not loud or brash, but he had a cheeky sense of humour and was good fun.
He absolutely loved music and loved what he did.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.