Rodri Understudy

Where does this perception come from? We've had fewer yellows than any other team this year havent we?

Usual persecution complex bullshit, look at the PFA award nominations thread and you’ll find plenty of people convincing themselves City players never get any awards despite us winning something like 14 of the last 20 major individual awards in English football.

Rodri and Fernandinho both have reputations among other fans as never getting cards they deserve and taking the piss with tactical fouls. It’s called being a good DM.

His demeanour would have to change. There's been more than a couple of instances where three match bans were applicable to his play this season.

He’s played for 6 months while 1 yellow away from a suspension.

You’re incorrectly attributing that to about 30 referees being unusually lenient instead of crediting a great defensive midfielder with being able to tow the line well.

I know that , I just don’t think he gets in our midfield IF we buy Paqueta, or anyone else, he doesn’t, so unless he comes instead of Paqueta, which is possible he isn’t the right one.
All I’m saying is we won’t buy Paqueta and Guimaraes, think it’s one or the other.

I genuinely feel that we need Bruno a lot more than Paqueta.

Bruno is a perfect signing in the sense that he plays the 6 and the 8. Paqueta is a very good player, but he just seems to be a luxury signing unless Bernardo leaves this summer.

I'd rather we went for Bruno over Paqueta personally. It's by far the most sensible move for me. An injury to Rodri with no cover is negligence. We have to make it our top priority this summer.

Not sure he is off, but he is mainly played wide right and think we’d buy a wide player to replace him if he does go.
Think Paqueta takes the Gundogan role playing alongside Foden or KDB. So a midfield 3 of Rodri, Paqueta and Foden or KDB. leaving Kovacic to back up Paqueta.
So where then Guimaraes? We could buy him as. Paqueta alternative but both ,just can’t see it.

So if Rodri is missing, who is capable of playing the 6?

I don't think any of those players are capable.

We definitely, definitely need a player that is very capable of playing as a 6.

Kovacic, Nunes, Paqueta, Foden, KDB... Not a single one of these can play the Rodri position.

We would be fooked if Rodri misses a chunk of the season through injury.

Bruno G. Since Kovacic is the current Gundo ‘replacement’ and I’d happily sell him to make space for Guimaraes

I'm definitely with you on us buying Bruno...

But I wouldn't sell Kovacic. Think he's very underrated and has proven to be an important member of the squad.

The one midfielder I'd try to shift is Nunes, whether we would be successful doing that, I am not so sure.

He’s played for 6 months while 1 yellow away from a suspension.

You’re incorrectly attributing that to about 30 referees being unusually lenient instead of crediting a great defensive midfielder with being able to tow the line well.
I think it wasn't a case of being 'lenient' I think the refs ne'er saw the incidents, and surprisingly, or not surprisingly, VAR didn't call them back. There's a few adjectives that can describe a 'tackler's game - robust, hard, aggressive (we need all those!) but I think Guimares leans into the next two or three.

If City buy this lad and none of my forecasts prove correct I shall be back on here holding up my hands with a 'mea cuplpa'forming on my lips.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.