Running a Marathon ...

I've done 2 in the past 18 months, Berlin and Brighton. Berlin was definitely one of the best things I have ever done and that sense of accomplishment is massive, regardless of whether you sprint or crawl over the line. A lot of people will question why you're doing it, but no one can take that sense of accomplishment away form you and it's something you'll always remember.

My recommendation would to pick a course/city that interests you. Berlin was brilliant for this as it was a city I wasn't overly familiar with (seeing new/interesting things en-route is something I don't think enough people think about), millions of people lining the street giving you encouragement along the route. Brighton was brilliant in patches but utterly miserable around the 20-23 mile mark when you really start to feel the pain. For that, I can't recommend Berlin enough, especially as it's an amazing city to begin with. London would also be brilliant if you're willing to run for charity.

As for training, like every one else, try and do 1 long run a week (probably Saturday and Sunday) with 2-4 shorter/faster runs in the week. You want to be able to do at least 20 miles by 3 weeks prior as after that you should be tapering and just getting your legs well rested for the big day. Doing a couple of half marathons during the training is good too as it gets you used to that race-day feeling and running with people around you. Running with others helps a lot too, so run with colleagues or friends if you need that encouragement. Also, check out the elevation levels of any course you sign up to, if it's a hilly course and you train on flat routes for 16 weeks you're going to be in for a horrible shock!

Best of luck if you sign up.

You don't run and you have signed up for one 15 weeks away?
Not a chance you will do it.

I did one using a plan of doing around 68miles a week at its peak following a few years of running training and I didn't feel prepared.
I was doing great until about 18miles, got cramp and couldn't get going again. Came in just under 4 hours after walking round the last mile or so. Horrendous experience.
Just sell your place

Good luck. Plenty of training plans out there (runnersworld or fetcheveryone) but be prepared. You need to increase your mileage slowly. You will be running 3-4 times per week. Eat the right food. Get decent trainers. Join a running club (amazing how much easier those long runs will be). Enjoy!

I've done 2 in the past 18 months, Berlin and Brighton. Berlin was definitely one of the best things I have ever done and that sense of accomplishment is massive, regardless of whether you sprint or crawl over the line. A lot of people will question why you're doing it, but no one can take that sense of accomplishment away form you and it's something you'll always remember.

My recommendation would to pick a course/city that interests you. Berlin was brilliant for this as it was a city I wasn't overly familiar with (seeing new/interesting things en-route is something I don't think enough people think about), millions of people lining the street giving you encouragement along the route. Brighton was brilliant in patches but utterly miserable around the 20-23 mile mark when you really start to feel the pain. For that, I can't recommend Berlin enough, especially as it's an amazing city to begin with. London would also be brilliant if you're willing to run for charity.

As for training, like every one else, try and do 1 long run a week (probably Saturday and Sunday) with 2-4 shorter/faster runs in the week. You want to be able to do at least 20 miles by 3 weeks prior as after that you should be tapering and just getting your legs well rested for the big day. Doing a couple of half marathons during the training is good too as it gets you used to that race-day feeling and running with people around you. Running with others helps a lot too, so run with colleagues or friends if you need that encouragement. Also, check out the elevation levels of any course you sign up to, if it's a hilly course and you train on flat routes for 16 weeks you're going to be in for a horrible shock!

Thanks guys. Good advice.

It's the Brighton marathon I'm going for - all signed through Parkinson's (which my Nan suffered for a long time and died of last month)

Just ran with a mate. We did 4-5 miles. Felt fine really - and that's with a hangover ! ... Can't imagine doing 26 but will look to increase weekly - is it better to mix with treadmill and outdoor ? ... I actually prefer outdoor.

I couldn't run a bath these days - fair play to you. Get a stich looking at a treadmill. Did those park runs for a bit last year and nearly broke my ankle every week.

Thanks guys. Good advice.

It's the Brighton marathon I'm going for - all signed through Parkinson's (which my Nan suffered for a long time and died of last month)

Just ran with a mate. We did 4-5 miles. Felt fine really - and that's with a hangover ! ... Can't imagine doing 26 but will look to increase weekly - is it better to mix with treadmill and outdoor ? ... I actually prefer outdoor.
It's a good idea to mix it up if you can, as treadmills are better for the knees.

I'll just echo what everyone else has said: 3-4 runs per week including one longer, slower one which should increase in distance by 5-10% per week. Allow rest days so your body can recover, otherwise the effort will he wasted.

You could also get used to whatever energy drinks and gels are provided in the race (usually Lucozade Sport in my experience).

Done 10 and everytime I finish I vow never again. The hardest part, once you can do 18 miles in trianing, is the mental side - Vary where you run.
Also - try and do a 22 miler a couple of weeks before the race for confidence.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.