Running thread

Some incredible runs above.

I did my first 15k in a good while today. Carved out some decent KMs this week (2 x 11ks, a 5k Park Run and the 15k today).
Felt a bit tough but the hamstring and meniscus pain was nowhere to be seen.
Muscles felt tight though.

Lay off tomorrow but would you all suggest doing these distances more often (as I build back up to HM?).

have a hotel reserved for amsterdam half marathon but now sold out and only second round of marathon spaces.

not until October, but is 6 months too much of an ask to do a marathon? especially being off injured most of the year?
Totally doable! Start now, build up gradually (there's no rush) and give yourself recovery days/weeks. Enjoy training through the summer - it's a great opportunity to get out on the trails and really enjoy the environment.

Some incredible runs above.

I did my first 15k in a good while today. Carved out some decent KMs this week (2 x 11ks, a 5k Park Run and the 15k today).
Felt a bit tough but the hamstring and meniscus pain was nowhere to be seen.
Muscles felt tight though.

Lay off tomorrow but would you all suggest doing these distances more often (as I build back up to HM?).
Yeah but it depends on your general fitness and what you've been doing recently.

Received wisdom is that your total weekly mileage should increase by no more than 10% compared to the previous week. If you suddenly up your mileage significantly, it's a pretty good recipe for injury and/or burnout which ends up being counterproductive.

A weekly long, slow run (jog) is a great idea for fitness, especially if you're looking to take part in any running events. Just be sure to allow sufficient recovery.

Fleet Half Marathon today. A friend dropped out on Tuesday so picked it up at late notice.

Real fast field and bit demoralising to get constantly overtaken. Still got home in 1:27:25.
Clearly a fast field if you're running at 6:40 pace or whatever, and still being overtaken! Regardless, that is still a fantastic time.

Yeah but it depends on your general fitness and what you've been doing recently.

Received wisdom is that your total weekly mileage should increase by no more than 10% compared to the previous week. If you suddenly up your mileage significantly, it's a pretty good recipe for injury and/or burnout which ends up being counterproductive.

A weekly long, slow run (jog) is a great idea for fitness, especially if you're looking to take part in any running events. Just be sure to allow sufficient recovery.
Yeah, I did quite a significant jump in distances last week (silly perhaps, but keen to start running longer distances).

May try and jump up to a 17k some time this week (either Weds eve or a sunday) and litter them with 5k & 10ks.
Usually go for a run Monday evening but after yesterday's 15k I'm not sure yet. Legs feel a little tired but not sore.

Had a pretty brutal pilates session in the evening (crazy hip work) which helps.

Hoping to head up to HM distance sometime towards the end of April.
After that, who knows!

Does running more longer distances help with pace on the shorter (say 5k) runs?

I'm convinced my long covid perma damaged my running engine.
Never managed to pick up the pace I had pre covid.
But....then again, I joined the gym and bulked up a little (I had to as I have a labral tear I need to scaffold with muscle).

Clearly a fast field if you're running at 6:40 pace or whatever, and still being overtaken! Regardless, that is still a fantastic time.

Yes I just checked it against equivalent races and the times/placings are not too dissimilar. So really I was far too close to the front. Happy with the time just a bit deflating getting overtaken regularly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.