Running thread

Parkrun 149
Went for it, smashed the first two miles at 7min pace but paid the price and struggled the last mile.

25:19
I'm on about the same amount if park runs and time at the moment (158 park runs).

My 5k PB is 20:49 and I was desperate to do sub 20 min.
But then after I got hammered by the OG pre vaccine Covid (and couldn't run for nearly a year) my times sank.

I run the park runs with a friend and dog and we hang back (coz doggo) and chat so it's an easy pace and we tend to come in around the 29 min mark.
He was away last week so I clocked in a 25 min solo park run.
My hamstring/back of leg is also not fixed after nearly ten months (I still run, gym, yoga etc but I think I definitely need it looking at - it isn't going away).
But I'm still desperate to go under 20 mins. Think I need to step up my running and head back to interval training at the club.

Any other thoughts on aiming to beat go sub 20 mins?

EDIT - Question to everyone not just Bluehammer85!

I'm on about the same amount if park runs and time at the moment (158 park runs).

But then after I got hammered by the OG pre vaccine Covid (and couldn't run for nearly a year) my times sank.

I run the park runs with a friend and dog and we hang back (coz doggo) and chat so it's an easy pace and we tend to come in around the 29 min mark.
My hamstring/back of leg is also not fixed after nearly ten months (I still run, gym, yoga etc but I think I definitely need it looking at - it isn't going away).
But I'm still desperate to go under 20 mins. Think I need to step up my running and head back to interval training at the club.

Any other thoughts on aiming to beat go sub 20 mins?

EDIT - Question to everyone not just Bluehammer85!

No chance I could ever do a sub 20!

My PB is 23:12

I’ve found my fastest times have been when I’ve got off the block fast, with the leading pack for the first half mile, then I calm down and get breathing going then really just push the last mile or so.

Probably helps to wake up early, have a good breakfast and warm up. Which I rarely do.

Any other thoughts on aiming to beat go sub 20 https://www.runningfastr.com/5k-training-plan/sub-20-5k-training-plan/

EDIT - Question to everyone not just Bluehammer85

I’ve used these training plans before and and found them really useful. I used their sub 45 minute 10k a few years back and ran 43.08 on the day. Below is the link to the sub 20 minute 5k

I’m not at the stage to do the sub 20 minute one just yet, but might have a go at the sub 22 minute one first.

Been a little while since I posted but gradually increasing my mileage. Did 25k this morning, 43k for the week.

As per previous advice from @supercity88 I've booked another marathon. Taking inspiration from events earlier this year I've entered Istanbul marathon in November. Very excited about this and determined to train/fuel better than London in April. Will probably enter a half in September.

Encouragingly, I've managed to knock a lot off parkrun time, PB is now 23:18.

I did a weekend walking up in the Yorkshire Dales two weeks ago, that looks like fabulous running terrain..

Best of luck to all those who contribute to the thread. It remains very informative and motivational.

No chance I could ever do a sub 20!

My PB is 23:12

I’ve found my fastest times have been when I’ve got off the block fast, with the leading pack for the first half mile, then I calm down and get breathing going then really just push the last mile or so.

Probably helps to wake up early, have a good breakfast and warm up. Which I rarely do.

My PB is currently 28:40, but I am an overweight 52 year old retired bloke!
I tend to get slowed down by congestion at the start of Parkruns. Always start in the middle of the pack, but make sure I'm ahead of the dogs & pram pushers. Maybe I should push myself a little further forward?
I'm definitely affected by temperature and humidity, doing my best running in the cooler months. Find it much easier to do speed intervals when I'm not saturated in sweat.
And I've definitely got over the desire to take walking breaks. Got the mental strength to run through tiredness these days

Posts on here are inspiring me to go and do a 5km time trial just to see where I'm at.

Still training for the Marathon, I think I'm somewhere between my A goal (3:30) and B goal (3:45). 7 weeks to go. Long run is 35km this week, so pretty daunting.

A sub 20min 5km has been a goal of mine for a while now, I was around 20mins about 10 years ago. When I restarted running back in May I was probably around 26mins. Some of my long runs for this marathon have had 5km tempos in the middle where I've been able to do a 23min 5km, so I don't think I'm far away, issue is I'm not doing much VO2 max or interval training at the moment. I do have a 6 x 1km session this week though, so I might gage doing a parkrun off of that.

Been a little while since I posted but gradually increasing my mileage. Did 25k this morning, 43k for the week.

As per previous advice from @supercity88 I've booked another marathon. Taking inspiration from events earlier this year I've entered Istanbul marathon in November. Very excited about this and determined to train/fuel better than London in April. Will probably enter a half in September.

Encouragingly, I've managed to knock a lot off parkrun time, PB is now 23:18.

I did a weekend walking up in the Yorkshire Dales two weeks ago, that looks like fabulous running terrain..

Best of luck to all those who contribute to the thread. It remains very informative and motivational.

Smashing it CC.

If your around the GM area there is a Half Marathon in Stockport on Sunday 3rd Sept

i will check that book. thanks. i love reading everything about those...

that book of fitzgerald is from 2007.... then he wrote improved versions 80/20 for running and triathlon also. he has also other books, about exercise psychology and also nutrition. you may check them.
why i recommended the 2007 book is that, i believe it is more comprehensive. and the same basics...

i am so happy to find this thread. i am an academician.. i have many branches and one of them is exercise psychology (not the main, but improving on it) so i ll be glad to discuss things here... i cant find anyone to discuss those issues... cheers...

PS: also strongly recommend ''HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT'' fitzgerald. it is a book about real stories about that practice. long distance running (actually all sports but esp long dist running is ( i mean a race performance, progress ) 90% psychological...
at the moment all the best atheletes (my semi pro friends) are using 80/20 but it is important to know why we are using it, and that 2007 book tells it. fitzgerald is god. i dont understand why he is not that popular.
Thanks again for the recommendation I also have the 80/20 book Sat on my cupboard also along with a few others.

It probably highlights my failing as a runner I typically always go out and just run without following any structured training program.

Two more recommendations, probably my favourite author (running) is Adharanand Finn. He has wrote a couple of books called ‘Running with the Kenyans’, ‘The way of the runner’ and ‘Rise of the Ultra Runners’ the latter being an absolute classic.

The strength training podcast is full of interesting topics from experts on exercise psychology. It is a fantastic listen full of great information.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.