Running thread

I've had heavy/concrete leg syndrome for the last few weeks. Recently I added some 100 metre very steep hill runs into my route. Ended up doing 15 of the bastards the last time I did it. Then I thought I'd take a break and just concentrate on my flattish river runs for a while. But fuck me, my legs haven't been the same since, my engine is raring and I'm not anywhere near out of breathe by 4 or 5 kms, but my legs are just dead. After last night I've decided to take 3 or 4 days off and see of that helps. My new Asics will be here by then too:)

Does anyone know how realistic is it to be able to run a sub 20 minute 5k this year, if my current 5k time would be around 23 minutes?

I’m a 40 years old with a bit of excess around the waist. My fastest previous was probably around 21 minutes but we’re talking 6 years ago.

I kind of feel like it’s now or never.

Is it doable?

Does anyone know how realistic is it to be able to run a sub 20 minute 5k this year, if my current 5k time would be around 23 minutes?

I’m a 40 years old with a bit of excess around the waist. My fastest previous was probably around 21 minutes but we’re talking 6 years ago.

I kind of feel like it’s now or never.

Is it doable?

Yes I think it should be. Hard to gauge what your training is like currently but adding some decent work should get you there. Are you following a 5k plan? . I always recommend this but never do it myself.

It has to be said losing weight makes a huge difference. I have dropped 6 pounds over the 4/5 weeks and my times are dropping quickly as a consequence.

Its defo not now or never though. Still many years of good running left in you.

Yes I think it should be. Hard to gauge what your training is like currently but adding some decent work should get you there. Are you following a 5k plan? . I always recommend this but never do it myself.

It has to be said losing weight makes a huge difference. I have dropped 6 pounds over the 4/5 weeks and my times are dropping quickly as a consequence.

Its defo not now or never though. Still many years of good running left in you.
Not following a plan currently. I run or cycle a few times a week.

I would do a sub 22 one over the next few weeks to try and get from 23 to 22 by end of September. I reckon that is achievable.

That would leave 3 months to get from 22 down to sub 20. Not sure if that is realistic.

I’ll aim for sub 22 first and take it from there I think!

Not following a plan currently. I run or cycle a few times a week.

I would do a sub 22 one over the next few weeks to try and get from 23 to 22 by end of September. I reckon that is achievable.

That would leave 3 months to get from 22 down to sub 20. Not sure if that is realistic.

I’ll aim for sub 22 first and take it from there I think!
To be honest it sounds like there is a lot of growth In your training and therefore performance.

Do you do parkruns? Nothing better than a bit of competition to improve your times.

To be honest it sounds like there is a lot of growth In your training and therefore performance.

Do you do parkruns? Nothing better than a bit of competition to improve your times.
Yeah I quite often do parkrun. I’ll find a flat one to go at after a few weeks of following a training plan and see where I’m at.

Did another 12 k the other evening.

Feel a few more regular 12ks and I can't start upping to 15 then eventually half marathon again.

Mix of this ongoing hamstring injury and less energy atm are making these runs tough but hopefully I'll break through that again with more regular runs.

In my head I really enjoy these longer runs and can't wait to do them again....but during them, it's often a psychological struggle.

Intervals again this morning. Seeing such a benefit!

Anyone who’s looking to improve times should be doing them. I tend to do 400m on / 400m off.

Hoping to get out again on Sunday to improve my 5k time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.