Russian invasion of Ukraine

There is a significant escalation in Russian aggression this evening and it looks like they are preparing a siege of Kyiv. I just can't see how this ends now? Putin will not back down from here for the fear of looking weak and I can't see Ukraine holding out for much longer.

At some point Russia are going to cross another line, be it killing the Ukrainian President or completely flattening Ukrainian cities. At this point, what do the west do? What further levers do we have?

The only way this ends is if the Russian overthrow Putin. Surely there must be significant portion of the Russian population that sees that if they were brought in from the cold their country would be very prosperous given the natural resources they have.

So, as we stand on the brink of a global conflict, you believe that's a perfectly acceptable reason for OPEC to stick two fingers up to the international community. The exploitation of a crisis for profit is surely unforgivable irrespective of the historical context.
What does OPEC owe us or any European country ?
We fucked them over for years, We caused most of the conflicts in their region.
We still think we can storm in and conduct a regime change because, well because we are British. ..... (and we do what the yanks want)

Emphasis noted, and more of a COMMITMENT than a SUGGESTION.

“In 2006, NATO Defence Ministers agreed to commit a minimum of 2% of their Gross Domestic Product (GDP) to defence spending to continue to ensure the Alliance's military readiness.”

NATO website

#####

OCTOBER 21, 2020

Ten NATO members now meet 2% defense spending benchmark, but not Germany.

Military spending among the U.S.'s allies in Europe and Canada increased for the sixth consecutive year, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said Wednesday.

Military spending among the U.S.'s allies in Europe and Canada increased for the sixth consecutive year, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said Wednesday. But Germany spent only 1.57% of gross domestic product on its military, the report said.

Germany’s defense spending was cited as a reason for issuing a directive to pull nearly 12,000 U.S. troops out of the country, although a plan to do so is still being developed by the Pentagon and it is unclear when a withdrawal would happen.

Ten of NATO’s 30 members were estimated to be spending at least 2% of their GDP on their militaries, up from only three in 2014, the report said.

“We expect this trend to continue,” NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg told reporters.

NATO members have been under intense pressure to ramp up defense spending by the Trump administration. It increased by 4.3% among European allies and Canada for the year, Stoltenberg said.

Collectively, NATO members including the U.S. spent roughly $1.03 trillion on defense for 2020, said the report, which was released a day ahead of a meeting of NATO defense ministers, including U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper, where spending will be on the agenda, Stoltenberg said.

In 2014, when allies agreed that all members should meet NATO’s 2% spending level by 2024, only the U.S., Greece and the United Kingdom were in compliance. Now, NATO data shows Romania, Estonia, Latvia, Poland, Lithuania, France and Norway meeting the target.
That's always been my understanding. During the cold War I believe the UK was spending in excess of 4% of GDP.

We now seem to be deep in another cold war and if you apply the same logic we now need to increase military spending.

Does anybody else think the footage fromUkraine is odd , burned out vehicles but no bodies? Planes being hit but no explosion when theyhitthegroundetc etc ,all seems slightly faked
Propaganda helped win 2 World wars.
What do you expect, youtube vids of dead Ukrainian soldiers ?

Last edited:
My lad in the Czech Republic (area called Jihlava) said many of his friends there are unable to access their bank accounts now as they are with a Russian bank. I said that's still better than being a Ukranian at this time. Said Czechs have also received instructions on what to do in a nuclear attack.
I can hardly concentrate at work now, everything seems so petty and ridiculous, and I've had a stress headache since Putin said the word "nuclear" yesterday.
I've told my son I want him to come home if shit gets real, but I know he won't because his daughter is also in Czech.

The only way this ends is if the Russian overthrow Putin. Surely there must be significant portion of the Russian population that sees that if they were brought in from the cold their country would be very prosperous given the natural resources they have.

This is the only 'good' end I can see to this.

If putin isn't making progress the use of tactical nukes would not surprise me as he's probably mad enough to gamble that we would not respond with a nuclear attack on Russia.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.