Sergio Aguero - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be surprised if Aguero does move on this summer. Whether he's carrying an injury that could explain some flat performances this season, outside of isolated games over the past 17 months, the general trend is that he doesn't seem a natural fit for what this team needs. He'll have a game or two where it seems like he's finally on board with what Pep is asking him to do but he seems to quickly lose confidence or the will to adapt his natural game in that way. I'm not saying he doesn't try but i'm not convinced his heart is truly in it.

Clearly Jesus has a long way to go as a pure goalscorer to ever hope to match Aguero at his best. But from the first minutes of his City career you could sense a hunger and a genuine relish to press, tackle and work with an intensity we just don't see enough with Aguero. Even allowing for the fact that Jesus is currently well off form in front of goal, it's that natural intensity that really takes our collective game to the next level. It's the same reason Pep is so keen on Sanchez.

While I think Pep has had some reservations about Aguero from day one i do think he's tried to meet him half way and given him every opportunity to keep himself integral to the team going forward - and there's still a chance that something will permanently click with Aguero over the next six months. Pep couldn't be any more clear about what he expects of Sergio and we've seen he's capable of playing that way when he really wants to. He's not being forced out of the club but equally, Jesus will continue to get the nod ahead of him if he's showing signs of not being fully on board.

It seemed inconceivable that we would ever allow Aguero to leave but i personally am beginning to make peace with the notion of Sergio choosing to move on if we can attract an adequate replacement in the summer. We'll have had his best years and he'll forever be a legend at the club. I'll miss him immensely but like with Zaba, i'd much rather he was somewhere enjoying his football than here struggling to get a game and truly fit in. We're not definitely at that point yet, but it's felt like we've been heading that way for a while now. If Sergio does end up leaving i'm sure there will be an appetite on all sides for it to be amicable - ideally with a few trophies and key goals at the business end of the season.

excellent post and ive started to realize that its ok if he goes, we can get a huge fee for him and re-invest in a younger player

It's typicly more argued that a manager should addapt the team tactics to fit his best players rather than the way around, otoh Peps system is fantastic and giving us a high reward. I do hope that people realise that if Sergio would leave, he would easily find a team that fits him or that would play on his strenghts, and he would soon be bagging 20+ a year again.

I would deffinatly advise against a hasty choice, deffinatly don't decide this based on half a season, the man has deserves more credit than that, both on merrit of past performances and loyalty he has shown to the club. As long as Pep's system works great we can understand why, but the day that we should struggle somewhat and woudl require some tactical chances we'd likely be faced with kun being fantastic somewhere else and hard pressed to answer why the hell we allowed him to leave.

Were not poor, we don't have to make hasty decission.

Last edited:
Pep wants an instant pass from his striker into advancing midfield players. Jesus obliges and turns and runs or offers again for the ball. Aguero wants a touch he wants to turn and he wants to use runners to make his own space to get a shot away. In some games Kun is unplayable and in others he is shut down and drowned out of a game. The latter is becoming a bit more frequent but largely the issue at the moment is he just is not taking the chances like he used to.

The team played well with him on sat and he is still a class striker but pep wants a class team with a class striker and I do feel he thinks someone can do the job better. Jesus has different strengths and time to become world class. Would Sanchez do a better job? Well for starters he would make our front 3/5 (silva and de bruyne) even more fluid and interchangeable...so perhaps that is a yes right there based on how Pep seems to want us to play.

I've got a feeling we're seeing Joe Hart part 2 possibly.
It's gonna be painful for all city fans but if it's true that Sergio isn't trying to fit into pep's system he'll be sold and replaced with someone who will bring what pep wants to the team

This is bugging me alot, prior to his rib injury we were singing his praises, stating that he's finally on board with pep's philosophy and he was just getting off breaking the record. Now he's off form, struggling a bit and everyone jumps on his back. Give it time and he'll be back in form and the cycle will repeat.

This is bugging me alot, prior to his rib injury we were singing his praises, stating that he's finally on board with pep's philosophy and he was just getting off breaking the record. Now he's off form, struggling a bit and everyone jumps on his back. Give it time and he'll be back in form and the cycle will repeat.
Kuns effectively the one that’s stirred up the pot though with that Argentinian mouthpiece. Writing is on the wall. It’s not fun but it’s probably best for all if he goes amicably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.