Sergio pitch incident at end of game

It doesn't take a lot of hindsight to know that it was a high profile game that would be well attended. The club hire and pay for stewards and the police so I am assuming they were in the vicinity already, although this could be wrong and they may have been called for back up when things escalated.

If in the vicinity and with a giant killing act in the offing they had ten minutes to put some safeguards in place, again that isn't hindsight it is common sense and doing their job.
As i said there will be a de-brief. I wasn't party to the plans neither were any of us. It went ary but in my opinion and from what I saw the police's tactics were to ensure the parties were kept apart.

As i said there will be a de-brief. I wasn't party to the plans neither were any of us. It went ary but in my opinion and from what I saw the police's tactics were to ensure the parties were kept apart.
by whacking City fans with batons and totally ignoring Wigan fans?

by whacking City fans with batons and totally ignoring Wigan fans?
watch the footage. the inspectors in charge of PSU serials are wearing the red epaulettes. they are giving orders to form a line.

what would you have done in their place?

you form a line in front of the wigan fans and risk city fans invading the pitch (as some did) and then have a full scale disorder.

I understand it went tits up but any fool could see with Wigan 1-0 up with ten minutes to go and a pitch invasion looming plus an end full of less than happy city fans they needed to get moving. That doesn't need any hindsight.

watch the footage. the inspectors in charge of PSU serials are wearing the red epaulettes. they are giving orders to form a line.

what would you have done in their place?

you form a line in front of the wigan fans and risk city fans invading the pitch (as some did) and then have a full scale disorder.
you're completely ignoring the Wigan fans and the long time City fans were left unprotected from hundreds of dickheads .

There should have been a line of stewards and or police in front of the City fans from 3 minutes before the final whistle.

Protecting fans

Its not the fault of the police. It is solely Wigan's responsibility to 'police' the game inside the stadium and ensure the safety of the public. They failed.

Police officers cannot magically appear-they would have been 'deployed' outside the stadium in the main.

Ok maybe my comments were facetious but the club and the Police will have met and discussed the level of policing required for the game and they jointly underestimated.

My point was about the fact the superintendent tried to make out they had done everything perfectly. He could have said they didn't have enough officers to handle the situation but like I said he was doing the usual politican thing. And to add to that when the officers did come in it was clear they had insufficient direction, one walked towards the Wigan fans to attempt to move them back while others took the easy options of going at a handful of City fans. I am full of admiration for the Police when they get it right but I don't think they looked very good the other night and I don't like the fact the superintendent made out to the BBC hat they had done a good job.

I understand it went tits up but any fool could see with Wigan 1-0 up with ten minutes to go and a pitch invasion looming plus an end full of less than happy city fans they needed to get moving. That doesn't need any hindsight.
we don't know where they were. there was an alarming lack of stewards for certain. lessons will be learnt though.

you're completely ignoring the Wigan fans and the long time City fans were left unprotected from hundreds of dickheads .

There should have been a line of stewards and or police in front of the City fans from 3 minutes before the final whistle.

Protecting fans

Totally agree! Not even so much protecting City fans but more preventing us running onto the pitch to confront them and vice versa. Most clubs reinforce the stadiums perimeter's just prior to the final whistle anyway, Wigan didn't even do that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.