Shackleton and the Endurance

Wonder whether anyone else is excited about the Endurance having been located – and in ridiculously fine nick! – 3000 metres down at the bottom of the Weddell Sea after more than a century? For me, it means more than the Titanic.
I'm a bit of a polar exploration buff. It's one of my private obsessions. And Shackleton is one of my very few heroes in life. Because he did something heroic which doesn't look like it, and those are always the gestures that impress me the most.
Well before Scott (and Amundsen) he got to within 112 miles (180 kms) of the south pole, in 1909. He sat down and did the careful calculations, and realised that although he could lead his party to the south pole, and thus be the first human beings ever to set foot there, they wouldn't make it back, because they just didn't have the provisions. So he ordered them to turn back. In a letter to his wife, he wrote “I thought you'd prefer having a live donkey to a dead lion”.
I often quote that. That, to me is deep heroism. Thinking about your wife, thinking about your men. Rather than thinking about your glory.
Of course, everybody knows about his journey of nearly eight hundred miles across some of the worst seas in the world, with a small crew and an open boat to South Georgia, getting help, and then going back to save the whole crew from the Endurance.
If anybody is interested in the other party – Scott's – I strongly recommend Apsley Cherry-Garrard's The Worst Journey in the World. And no, he wasn't talking about the trek out to the south pole, which he was sent back from about halfway, as the youngest member of the party. He was talking about another trip he had to make in the polar winter on that same expedition. He and his companions survived by a kind of miracle of resourcefulness. Cherry-Garrard, by the way, fought in the trenches in Flanders in ’14-’18 war. He said that, by comparison with what he had experienced in Antarctica, the trenches were a picnic. Makes you think.
I read a book about Amundsen's race with Scott. I need something of a counterbalance to it, because it was strongly pro-Amundsen, and almost described it as though it were a ( admittedly very arduous) cross-country skiing trip for the Norwegian and his companions. Whereas the Brits of course had to do it with unnecessary heroism, using Siberian ponies which all died, and then hand-hauling really heavy sledges all the way back from the pole. Everybody died, of course, although tragically, Scott got to within 11 miles of One Ton Depot out on the Ross Ice Shelf, but didn't realise it because they were basically in a white-out. He was found dead in the tent by a search party the following spring. Captain Oates's body was never found.
I've travelled on every continent, but not Antarctica. It's been my dream to set foot on the Antarctic peninsula, but I don't suppose it'll ever happen. Probably not a bad thing. There are too many people going there these days. I met somebody who'd been twice, as a flora and fauna tutor on the ships that go out there, and he told me that there was lichen growing on the peninsula, where there had been none on his previous trip about fifteen years before. The world is changing, and the signs are clear.
By the way, if anybody doesn't know them (and is as nerdy about this stuff as I am), the Australian photographer Frank Hurley's photos of the Endurance expedition are just astonishing. Of course, it was all done using plate photography. There is a wonderful book which I own which shows all of them. Hurley was quite a character in himself and is, I believe, something of a hero to the Australians.
Great post.
Two Hero’s of mine in Shackleton and Scott.
Have you read “The Lost Men” by Kelly Tyler-Lewis. It’s about his Ross Sea Party on the Aurora in 1914 as they tried to lay depots for his cross Antarctica bid.
For Scott I would recommend Sir Ranulph Fiennes book “Captain Scott” which is without equal. Fiennes has done it all himself as you know.
I also enjoyed the Kenneth Branagh drama about the Shackleton 1914 expedition.

Wonder whether anyone else is excited about the Endurance having been located – and in ridiculously fine nick! – 3000 metres down at the bottom of the Weddell Sea after more than a century? For me, it means more than the Titanic.
I'm a bit of a polar exploration buff. It's one of my private obsessions. And Shackleton is one of my very few heroes in life. Because he did something heroic which doesn't look like it, and those are always the gestures that impress me the most.
Well before Scott (and Amundsen) he got to within 112 miles (180 kms) of the south pole, in 1909. He sat down and did the careful calculations, and realised that although he could lead his party to the south pole, and thus be the first human beings ever to set foot there, they wouldn't make it back, because they just didn't have the provisions. So he ordered them to turn back. In a letter to his wife, he wrote “I thought you'd prefer having a live donkey to a dead lion”.
I often quote that. That, to me is deep heroism. Thinking about your wife, thinking about your men. Rather than thinking about your glory.
Of course, everybody knows about his journey of nearly eight hundred miles across some of the worst seas in the world, with a small crew and an open boat to South Georgia, getting help, and then going back to save the whole crew from the Endurance.
If anybody is interested in the other party – Scott's – I strongly recommend Apsley Cherry-Garrard's The Worst Journey in the World. And no, he wasn't talking about the trek out to the south pole, which he was sent back from about halfway, as the youngest member of the party. He was talking about another trip he had to make in the polar winter on that same expedition. He and his companions survived by a kind of miracle of resourcefulness. Cherry-Garrard, by the way, fought in the trenches in Flanders in ’14-’18 war. He said that, by comparison with what he had experienced in Antarctica, the trenches were a picnic. Makes you think.
I read a book about Amundsen's race with Scott. I need something of a counterbalance to it, because it was strongly pro-Amundsen, and almost described it as though it were a ( admittedly very arduous) cross-country skiing trip for the Norwegian and his companions. Whereas the Brits of course had to do it with unnecessary heroism, using Siberian ponies which all died, and then hand-hauling really heavy sledges all the way back from the pole. Everybody died, of course, although tragically, Scott got to within 11 miles of One Ton Depot out on the Ross Ice Shelf, but didn't realise it because they were basically in a white-out. He was found dead in the tent by a search party the following spring. Captain Oates's body was never found.
I've travelled on every continent, but not Antarctica. It's been my dream to set foot on the Antarctic peninsula, but I don't suppose it'll ever happen. Probably not a bad thing. There are too many people going there these days. I met somebody who'd been twice, as a flora and fauna tutor on the ships that go out there, and he told me that there was lichen growing on the peninsula, where there had been none on his previous trip about fifteen years before. The world is changing, and the signs are clear.
By the way, if anybody doesn't know them (and is as nerdy about this stuff as I am), the Australian photographer Frank Hurley's photos of the Endurance expedition are just astonishing. Of course, it was all done using plate photography. There is a wonderful book which I own which shows all of them. Hurley was quite a character in himself and is, I believe, something of a hero to the Australians.
Just getting over the mountains in South Georgia from one side to the other without any mountain equipment was a feat in itself and it moved me to read a book covering the whole epic journey over the ice and then on an open boat with little protection from the savage elements. Those blokes really had balls to spare.
There is a local connection in Sir Philip Brocklehurst who went on the middle Nimrod expedition the one Shackleton turned back to save his men. Brocklehurst was on the shore party had suffered badly from frostbite and had his big toe amputated in primitive conditions and couldnt make the the trek towards the pole. He came from a silk weaving family in Macclesfield and the nearby Wincle brewery make a beer in commemoration called 'Sir Philip'. Every time lve had one of these excellent pints in pre Covid times the heroism of all the men in these expeditions comes to mind and I think l will make my own little trek soon to drink to their memories once again.
The BBC article on finding the Endurance this morning was very good and fascinating but what l found almost astonishing was that the Endurance was found only 4 miles from where Shackleton had calculated for his log using sextant and other primitive tools with freezing hands and shivering away.

For Scott I would recommend Sir Ranulph Fiennes book “Captain Scott” which is without equal. Fiennes has done it all himself as you know.

That guy's got a very funny, straight-faced, sense of humour. And he is as tough as old boots. As you know.

Thanks for the recommendation. I do suspect that the balance needs to be redressed on Scott. Another book I own, by a polar meteorologist — an American, so can't be suspected of jingoism — claims that all the indications (and she gathered them as scientifically as she could) are that they suffered temperatures that were way, way lower than they should have been on the long trek back from the pole at the end of the Antarctic summer.
But I like this, very much: apparently, when Amundsen got back on his skis to the hut at the Bay of Whales, he just walked in, followed by his companions of course, cool as you like. Didn't say a word. Started making himself a coffee, or something. Finally, someone broke the silence: “Well…? Have you been?” “Yes.”
That's all. Just “Yes”. They're a rum bunch, the Norwegians.
He also left provisions and a very courteous note for Scott at the pole. That photo of Scott and his companions standing around Amundsen's flag is just one of the most desolate photos that you could imagine. They look utterly, utterly forlorn. They look, in fact, like men who are saying to themselves, “What in God's name am I doing here?”

Last edited:
That guy's got a very funny, straight-faced, sense of humour. And he is as tough as old boots. As you know.
Yes I’ve got a few of his books and I like his style even though he’s not wired up quite right :-)
Another interesting read is Pen Hadow who was first guy to do the North Polo solo and unsupported

And following up on Fiennes, this excellent and fascinating Canadian programme, where nearly everyone manages to be quite funny (and especially him) while talking about dicing with death. Can't recommend it highly enough. Fiennes is the odd man out — he's the only non-mountaineer.

I don’t think Scott saw it so much as a race to the Pole where as Amundsen certainly did.
Many people say Scott failed. He may have failed to win the perceived race but he got there.
Yes he was so close to One Ton Depot and hampered by unseasonably cold weather and defective seals on the fuel.
There is still debate over whether taking the extra man i.e Bowers was the right thing.

FNY7VLWXsAUX45-

Very cool
Name checks out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.